Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 03:04 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What do you hate about it?

I want to move there.
Cause you can't shoot stuff from your back porch in Staten Island!

(No offense Airborne.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 03:06 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
It’s true.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 03:24 PM

6,671 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Cause you can't shoot stuff from your back porch in Staten Island!

(No offense Airborne.)
Come on up to Dutchess County! Half my family up there hunts and skin deer in their garage, lol.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:38 PM

874 posts, read 454,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post

"Come on up to Dutchess County!

Half my family up there hunts and skin deer in their garage, lol."

birds of a feather................

Old 04-23-2020, 05:13 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I just heard on the radio that a recent study estimated that more than 20% of NYC residents have antibodies already to covid-19. I wondered if your family were found to have antibodies, would you change your plans to leave? Or if you found out the virus was less lethal than you had previously thought? We all live with some risk in our lives and I wonder how you factor risk into your decision.
It's not because of the Covid. I am looking into relocating because hey, I am getting older and I want warmer weather. It's up to my wife and daughter who both love NYC. I would like to not to be exposed to extreme weather.

Last edited by bxlover; 04-23-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 05:22 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The politics, the gun laws, the distance between it and the real outdoors, the proximity which living here requires you to be in with multitudes of other people, the acceptance of degeneracy and over-all filth/decline which gets beat into people as normal, the million little ways which this area pilfers your pockets through fines, fees, tools and regulations... I could continue.

My typical hobbies and interests no longer match up with the reasons others cite as positives to this city. It's just no longer of me or for me except in that my immediate family remains and working 4-5 more years here will likely result in a life long retirement for me beginning well prior to my 50th birthday.
A reason you should love the politics, gun laws, and proximity of people and taxes is that it's paying your salary and pension enabling you to retire well and early. The states you love to hunt in don't have progressive government and a liberal tradition of paying municipal workers and paying police officers well. I am proud we pay NYC cops well. I support that. What does a police officer get paid in rural whereever get paid nothing right ? We give up ownership of guns to allow the professional police departments to handle that aspect. The large popularion provides justification and the tax base to justify the large number of officers. If NYC was a smaller City you might not even have a job in the NYPD. You speak of delinquency and degenerates like that is a NYC phenomenon crystal meth, heroine and other drugs and whatever ill you mention are rampant in rural America. And hobbies are a reason to hate ? Gee whiz. If I grew up in Honolulu should I hate it cause I want to ski ? My point to you was and is, this inclination to say you hate something like a City is silly at best and indicative of a cycle of thought that will go with you where ever you live. Best to shake it. Sure leave if you want but why be negative in the process ? Break the cycle. We did for weeks during the quarantine, I witnessed it.

Last edited by bxlover; 04-23-2020 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 PM

150 posts, read 87,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat food View Post
Wonder how long it will take before asking prices on condos and coops in the city start to come down.
It’s going to happen fast within the next year. Who wants to live in this filthy city anymore

Old 04-23-2020, 06:36 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
A reason you should love the politics, gun laws, and proximity of people and taxes is that it's paying your salary and pension enabling you to retire well and early. The states you love to hunt in don't have progressive government and a liberal tradition of paying municipal workers and paying police officers well. I am proud we pay NYC cops well. I support that. What does a police officer get paid in rural whereever get paid nothing right ? We give up ownership of guns to allow the professional police departments to handle that aspect. The large popularion provides justification and the tax base to justify the large number of officers. If NYC was a smaller City you might not even have a job in the NYPD. You speak of delinquency and degenerates like that is a NYC phenomenon crystal meth, heroine and other drugs and whatever ill you mention are rampant in rural America. And hobbies are a reason to hate ? Gee whiz. If I grew up in Honolulu should I hate it cause I want to ski ? My point to you was and is, this inclination to say you hate something like a City is silly at best and indicative of a cycle of thought that will go with you where ever you live. Best to shake it. Sure leave if you want but why be negative in the process ? Break the cycle. We did for weeks during the quarantine, I witnessed it.
Because... I want to?

Your feelings on this city are not the same as others (as evidenced by this thread which sure seems full of people ready to leave).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 06:43 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Because... I want to?

Your feelings on this city are not the same as others (as evidenced by this thread which sure seems full of people ready to leave).
Does it seem full of people ready to leave? The thread's title would seem to attract mostly that, but aside from a few people who have outright saying they're in NYC now and looking to leave, you also have people saying they're looking to stay thus far, a person who wants to move here, and a lot of posts that are in a different situation entirely.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

This very thought came to my head. Atlanta/Metro Atlanta are BEGGING for police officers. The pay and benefits here are laughable for what the job requires. I doubt you would have anything near to what you have now if you didn't live in a city like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City