Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 06:02 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We’re certainly considering it. My wife wants out bad and I’ve hated this city for a long time.

It would be a wise move. Even if NYC metro does not get covid II, we just discovered how fragile NYC is. Petri dish for viruses.

I have no doubt there will be more in the future, and am not optimistic about the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 06:31 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's more than just Art Deco pre-war buildings, brownstones, and landmarks when it comes to attractive buildings in NYC. I feel like there's a lot more variety of attractive or at least non-offensive building styles than there are of the ugly buildings as I think the really ugly buildings, to me, are three main categories which are the unadorned brick tower in the park concept that a lot of co-ops and housing projects in the 20th century followed, the Fedders houses, and the value-engineered jumble of different random "massings" new construction that are usually built like garbage. Then there are two side smaller craps which are the gut renovated and expanded SFHs and the rather bland with uneven balconies construction seen in Hasidic neighborhoods.

To be honest though, most of most US cities are pretty ugly to me outside of specific landmarks or preserved historic areas.

Very well put!

New York has so many significant buildings that were built at the same time Paris was giving the last touches to its Hausmannian architecture. There is a variety of styles that you can't find elsewhere on the planet. I am not the biggest fan of some of the supertalls going up on 57th street, and I don't like Hudson Yards. I could do without some of the International style bldgs form the fifties, but they have a certain authority.

But, all that pre-war stuff is so impressive and full of character. It really is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but not for the faint of heart in many respects.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:54 PM

700 posts, read 421,293 times
Another NY is going to fail prediction that will end being bogus.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
NYC has become a ghoulish Hell Hole everyone I talk to is looking to leave ASAP or whenever they get the chance to get there financial situation straightened. I am talking about people who own homes not renters . It’s a sad situation
Nah NYC was a hell hole during the 70s and 80s the two decades that most New Yorkers will fool America into believing was paradise.

There seems to always be a pattern of people who call NYC a hell hole. One similarity is their income

Old 04-25-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I, for one, cannot wait for this mass exodus. Maybe all the people born and raised here like me can finally afford to purchase a home now.
Yes! I’ve actually always wanted NYC to have a mass exodus just so us New Yorkers who are not complainers can afford a home.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
We all have a love/hate relationship with this place. The older you get, the more you hate it. Everything that has made this place great in the past is closed, gone, dead. What currently makes nyc stand out? The answer is NOTHING.
You keep telling yourself that lie. I imagine you’re probably one of the natives who probably never leaves Manhattan or your own neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Miserable about this place, 100%.

You just can’t fathom that there’s actually people who see the faults of this place and are no longer enamored by it’s fake gleam. This pandemic has exposed its faults bare for the world to see. Deny it all you want, I couldn’t care less.
Sorry I don’t take people who bragged about NYC in the 70s, 80s and 90s seriously when discussing this topic.

The truth of the matter is when you are broke you will make yourself believe these things. I’m not saying everyone who hates NYC is broke but for the most part finances makes people believe that there is no glamour in NYC.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
My thing is this. NYC does not believe in freedom and independence except for when it is economics. NYC is a very left city and the city values safety and security over freedom and independence. NYC has to put some of the blame for itself for having high rate of Covid infection.
What does freedoms and independence have to do with Covid spreading?

Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The politics, the gun laws, the distance between it and the real outdoors, the proximity which living here requires you to be in with multitudes of other people, the acceptance of degeneracy and over-all filth/decline which gets beat into people as normal, the million little ways which this area pilfers your pockets through fines, fees, tools and regulations... I could continue.

My typical hobbies and interests no longer match up with the reasons others cite as positives to this city. It's just no longer of me or for me except in that my immediate family remains and working 4-5 more years here will likely result in a life long retirement for me beginning well prior to my 50th birthday.
What decline?

Old 04-25-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As long as there is no cure for the virus, NYC will see negative growth. Most tech jobs are hiring people from around the country for remote work no need to be on site. One of the perks of working for NYC telecommute now is get paid NYC salary and not step foot here and not have to pay NYC taxes.
Those tech jobs will also save money by not paying those remote people NYC level salary. You must be delusional if you think these tech managers are going to paying someone in Salt Lake City the same salary for a entry level job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City