Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 03:37 PM

910 posts, read 752,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I don’t have frustration and stress. If I did, I’d probably obsess constantly about other people’s lives and decisions like you do.

And AGAIN (for the last time because I’m done with you), accept that there are people who can HATE NYC yet love other places, places that they have extensive experience living and/or visiting regularly. The reason you are convinced I’m a complainer who won’t be happy anywhere is because you just can’t fathom that someone would HATE NYC yet remain here (for now) for personal reasons. You need introspection far more than I do.
I totally agree -- in fact I note that most people who really don't like NYC are people who actually were born and raised here. On a personal level, I can't say I "hate" NYC, but I definitely do want out and like me, many others. Many people want to leave but other things tie them down to the place. I remember the first time I spent an extended period of time living far away from NYC and I loved and enjoyed every moment of it. No stress to deal with, none of the bad "competitive" attitudes one hears or witnesses so often, slower pace of life, CHEAPER...for many times better quality...I could go on and on and on but won't bother.

Any big city is going to have a crappy quality of life for many, but in NYC it's not just a bad quality of life...it's everything else that can be added to that, including horrible weather most of the year, ugly buildings in many places, too many crowds and too many flakes or people who want to get to know you only if they can gain something from you and now, with the pandemic, horrible poverty on the way. The city had for many years hidden the real levels of poverty, often hidden in faraway neighborhoods. As tourism massively declines, revenues go down, businesses shutter forever and New Yorkers see that there is no place to go except a sub par tiny apartment (as is the case for many unless you are very very rich or lucky in other ways), well what can I say? Things are looking great aren't they!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 09:00 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
In what neighborhood did you buy?
South shore of Staten Island. Single family Semi. Yeah

Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 PM

150 posts, read 87,451 times
What any good agent would say to get a listing . Real Estate agents have no knowledge of what will happen to the housing market. Staten Island is dead and people want out not only because of COVID
But the heroin is killing the Youth . If you want real advice listen to professor Robert Shiller not some clown from Robert Defalco’s office .

Old 04-24-2020, 09:49 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Old news. From someone on the so-called “frontline”, heroin has run it’s course.

The upside of drug waves is that the next generation sees the effects and rejects it. That’s why there was a lull after crack before heroin/opiods flamed up. I’ve no worries for my kids because they’re the inbetween generation. Worry again in 15 years, that’s when whatever is next will flare up again.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-25-2020, 05:49 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
What any good agent would say to get a listing . Real Estate agents have no knowledge of what will happen to the housing market. Staten Island is dead and people want out not only because of COVID
But the heroin is killing the Youth . If you want real advice listen to professor Robert Shiller not some clown from Robert Defalco’s office .
My main purpose for buying on SI was because I’m born and raised here and all of my family is here. We thought about it and decided being upstate or on Long Island was not worth only seeing our family only holidays or planned visits. We enjoy being able to randomly call our siblings on a nice summer day, throw the grill on and in 15 min the kids are enjoy the pool and yard etc.... but I am def worried at the direction of this city long term, both QOL and obviously home market, i think I’m going to get buried in this house which sucks.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:03 AM

588 posts, read 947,304 times
Hopefully NY doesnt become another Detroit.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:37 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
South shore of Staten Island. Single family Semi. Yeah
Ugh. I grew up over there. It used to be nice, it’s changed so much. My grandparents bought their house there in the 40s.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:15 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I totally agree -- in fact I note that most people who really don't like NYC are people who actually were born and raised here. On a personal level, I can't say I "hate" NYC, but I definitely do want out and like me, many others. Many people want to leave but other things tie them down to the place. I remember the first time I spent an extended period of time living far away from NYC and I loved and enjoyed every moment of it. No stress to deal with, none of the bad "competitive" attitudes one hears or witnesses so often, slower pace of life, CHEAPER...for many times better quality...I could go on and on and on but won't bother.

Any big city is going to have a crappy quality of life for many, but in NYC it's not just a bad quality of life...it's everything else that can be added to that, including horrible weather most of the year, ugly buildings in many places, too many crowds and too many flakes or people who want to get to know you only if they can gain something from you and now, with the pandemic, horrible poverty on the way. The city had for many years hidden the real levels of poverty, often hidden in faraway neighborhoods. As tourism massively declines, revenues go down, businesses shutter forever and New Yorkers see that there is no place to go except a sub par tiny apartment (as is the case for many unless you are very very rich or lucky in other ways), well what can I say? Things are looking great aren't they!?
You lost us at ugly buildings. Dude...

Old 04-25-2020, 04:29 PM

910 posts, read 752,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
You lost us at ugly buildings. Dude...
Uhh, yeah and I repeat it: for the exception of landmarks and some of the more stylish Art Deco pre-war buildings/brownstones in specific neighborhoods, NYC is not known for being a beautiful city lol. Tastes are obviously very individual, but most people would agree that NYC is no beauty. A lot of the buildings are gray, look very similar...etc. There are some parts that have nice brownstones, but you simply cannot compare NYC to some of the more beautiful cities in the world.

NYC is extremely dirty all around, dirty gum lumps on the sidewalks, ugly food carts and newsstands, tacky signage everywhere, trash on the curb attracting vermin and cockroaches in the Summer...yeah, sorry, not beautiful to me.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:15 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Uhh, yeah and I repeat it: for the exception of landmarks and some of the more stylish Art Deco pre-war buildings/brownstones in specific neighborhoods, NYC is not known for being a beautiful city lol. Tastes are obviously very individual, but most people would agree that NYC is no beauty. A lot of the buildings are gray, look very similar...etc. There are some parts that have nice brownstones, but you simply cannot compare NYC to some of the more beautiful cities in the world.

NYC is extremely dirty all around, dirty gum lumps on the sidewalks, ugly food carts and newsstands, tacky signage everywhere, trash on the curb attracting vermin and cockroaches in the Summer...yeah, sorry, not beautiful to me.
There's more than just Art Deco pre-war buildings, brownstones, and landmarks when it comes to attractive buildings in NYC. I feel like there's a lot more variety of attractive or at least non-offensive building styles than there are of the ugly buildings as I think the really ugly buildings, to me, are three main categories which are the unadorned brick tower in the park concept that a lot of co-ops and housing projects in the 20th century followed, the Fedders houses, and the value-engineered jumble of different random "massings" new construction that are usually built like garbage. Then there are two side smaller craps which are the gut renovated and expanded SFHs and the rather bland with uneven balconies construction seen in Hasidic neighborhoods.

To be honest though, most of most US cities are pretty ugly to me outside of specific landmarks or preserved historic areas.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-25-2020 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City