Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 12:52 AM

910 posts, read 753,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
[/b]

Boy ain't that the truth, Ruth! My parents, now in their 80s, were born in damn farm houses, had no electricity, no hospitals, no bathroom (outhouse), no nothing. There's no such thing as poor in NYC.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised reading this considering your other posts. This reminds me of those who say "women should not complain about equal rights these days...they have it great! 100 years ago they couldn't even vote!" Yeah, why bother to try to continue making life better...the poor in NYC should just kiss the feet of the masters and they should just shut up and go to Church and pray for the afterlife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 AM

700 posts, read 422,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I guess I shouldn't be surprised reading this considering your other posts. This reminds me of those who say "women should not complain about equal rights these days...they have it great! 100 years ago they couldn't even vote!" Yeah, why bother to try to continue making life better...the poor in NYC should just kiss the feet of the masters and they should just shut up and go to Church and pray for the afterlife!
Lmao at you comparing this debate to women’s right

The point of the matter is New Yorkers are privileged people who complain for about everything and have a false sense of reality of what the world is like outside of NYC. NYC should be the last city in America talking about “poverty” issues.

And to make things even better those New Yorkers often don’t excel in their new place either. Half of them are still “renters” when you check on them a few years later with no money in the bank still

B-b-b-b-uutttttt we left NYC for better “living conditions”, and getting “more for our money”

Old 04-26-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
When I went to the South, I did not go around talking about NYC vs other places. I am well aware there is poverty in the South. There is poverty all over the world...my point still stands and in no way does that nullify poverty in NYC. You are making no sense at this point and I am not going to waste my time with this any further. Quantifying poverty as "Real" vs "light" vs "good" vs "bad" is so stupid that it does not deserve any serious consideration.

NYC does indeed have a better WELFARE system than other places, but that doesn't mean poor people here have it great and to say they do is utterly disgusting and offensive (but I am not surprised since criminalizing the poor is very typical in American political discourse, goes back to the Puritans).

NYC is not 100% "buildings", right. You keep putting words in my mouth. A great big chunk of NYC, however, IS buildings. Facts just seem to go right past you since you are so focused on proving heavens knows what. It's like you want to try too hard to be a contrarian, but it's just pathetic at this point. Apartment living may not be "just a NY thing", but NYC is mostly apartments, versus other places that are definitely not, including most small towns in rural areas and most suburbs.

If NYC on welfare is so great, why haven't you signed up for it? I mean the way you make it sound you would think they are living large and won the lottery! Go sign up if it´s so great.
The fact that you said NYC has a better welfare system proves my point. So using that as a negative when it’s worse in almost every other part of this nation is silly.

I think you’re delusional. It seems that you are comparing NYC to suburbs when in reality the vast majority of cities have more “renter” occupied units than home ownership units.

Living in NYC does not prevent me from owning a home. I can buy a home anywhere in the 5 boroughs, NJ, Westchester, Long Island etc.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Lmao at you comparing this debate to women’s right

The point of the matter is New Yorkers are privileged people who complain for about everything and have a false sense of reality of what the world is like outside of NYC. NYC should be the last city in America talking about “poverty” issues.

And to make things even better those New Yorkers often don’t excel in their new place either. Half of them are still “renters” when you check on them a few years later with no money in the bank still

B-b-b-b-uutttttt we left NYC for better “living conditions”, and getting “more for our money”
There is always room for improvement. That is why I made the comparison.

I will not entertain the notion that all New Yorkers are "privileged people". That's just an insult to anybody's intelligence.

True about the renter part -- but I´m glad you said "half". Lots of others (such as myself) actually do buy and only come back here every so often to laugh at how bad life is here compared to other places. Bad as in quality of life issues and what you get in return for what you pay.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
The fact that you said NYC has a better welfare system proves my point. So using that as a negative when it’s worse in almost every other part of this nation is silly.

I think you’re delusional. It seems that you are comparing NYC to suburbs when in reality the vast majority of cities have more “renter” occupied units than home ownership units.

Living in NYC does not prevent me from owning a home. I can buy a home anywhere in the 5 boroughs, NJ, Westchester, Long Island etc.
I'm glad you can buy a home...which means that you are in a top income bracket or heavily in debt or maybe it´s all just BS. I don´t really care either way because none of this nonsense has proven your point.

Of course the vast majority of cities have more renters! I have also said that the quality of life in CITIES tends to be much worse for most than the quality of life in cheaper, smaller areas. That's the whole point of all my comments.

NYC has a better welfare system (FOR NOW) when you compare to places like Alabama, sure. The COL here is also much, much higher, so it tends to balance out in the end. You still haven´t told me why you are not signing up for welfare, since it's such a great deal!

Old 04-26-2020, 02:36 AM

Quote:
There is always room for improvement. That is why I made the comparison.

I will not entertain the notion that all New Yorkers are "privileged people". That's just an insult to anybody's intelligence.

True about the renter part -- but I´m glad you said "half". Lots of others (such as myself) actually do buy and only come back here every so often to laugh at how bad life is here compared to other places. Bad as in quality of life issues and what you get in return for what you pay.

I’m sure you laugh at people living in poor and working class areas of NYC. I’m confident you wouldn’t come to my neighborhood Midwood to laugh at anyone who is probably living in a bigger house than you

I’m also confident that the quality of life in the main city closest your suburb is much worse than NYC as far as amenities and benefits.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you can buy a home...which means that you are in a top income bracket or heavily in debt or maybe it´s all just BS. I don´t really care either way because none of this nonsense has proven your point.

Of course the vast majority of cities have more renters! I have also said that the quality of life in CITIES tends to be much worse for most than the quality of life in cheaper, smaller areas. That's the whole point of all my comments.

NYC has a better welfare system (FOR NOW) when you compare to places like Alabama, sure. The COL here is also much, much higher, so it tends to balance out in the end. You still haven´t told me why you are not signing up for welfare, since it's such a great deal!
I don’t own a home yet. I am single and do not need all the space for now. Just know I have lots of money in the bank and when I get married I’ll buy my house before the marriage gets down.

I’m not going to take my wife to an apartment like the rest of you would.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,111 times
Quote:
I find it funny how New Yorkers complain about “overcrowding” but are currently overcrowding the south east states of America.

NYC was a much dirtier, filthier place with not only rude people but violent people a few decades back.

Yet you were still living here and probably “happy”

The real issue here is that you are probably correlating your financial issues with the city.

And I find your last sentence subjective. I’m 29 and I don’t know much young people who left NYC and are happy or healthier.

As a matter of fact most of the unhealthiest states are in the South.
Uh what lol. I don’t have financial issues.

Why would you assume that. What a bizarre thing to say

Last edited by jen5276; 04-26-2020 at 05:21 AM..

Old 04-26-2020, 04:07 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
Quote:
And I find your last sentence subjective. I’m 29 and I don’t know much young people who left NYC and are happy or healthier.

As a matter of fact most of the unhealthiest states are in the South.
Can't lump the entire South / Southeast together. For example, I'm sure there are some tight, socialite bodies running around areas like Miami Beach or West Palm Beach down in southern Florida (some of them are ex-New Yorkers). Might not exactly be the same in say, Mississippi heheh.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I’m sure you laugh at people living in poor and working class areas of NYC. I’m confident you wouldn’t come to my neighborhood Midwood to laugh at anyone who is probably living in a bigger house than you

I’m also confident that the quality of life in the main city closest your suburb is much worse than NYC as far as amenities and benefits.
Huh? Actually, I don't laugh at anyone. Why would you say something so stupid? I know Midwood. That's not the majority of NYC.

You are basically just trolling at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City