Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 08:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

This exit, will be permanent until there is a widely available cure. Almost all tech, financial, and office workers are gonna be indefinitely telecommute.

The one plus I am hoping out of this will be that I won't have to step foot in NYC ever again for work. There is absolutely no need for the kind of tech work I do to require being in person. Some firms have adopted telecommute years ago but NYC lately has been anti-telecommute but this will make it a come back.

This means most tech and office workers won't be needing to live near NYC in close proximity and no need to speed money on overpriced lunches and expensive train tickets.

NYC will collapse in a few years if this shift in telecommute remains. Most people will move further out as telecommute becomes the norm. I know office folks working all around the world now because they no longer have to be near office.

Last edited by vision33r; 04-28-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 08:15 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're worse than someone else who thankfully stopped posting in this thread who refuses to admit the absurdity of disproven claims. If you believe 400,000 people could be in Telluride at once without turning the place into a veritable reservoir of human bodies due to its topographical layout, I have not one, not two, but all 16 or so major NYC bridges to sell you. I own them, I can show you the pamphlet.

Well thanks, not looking for a bridge right now :-), but I saw thousands of human bodies in Telluride, squeezing around the pre-festival fiddlers and banjoists on the street corners, and staking a bit of space in the park with a folded blanket. Everyone was happy, athletic, and well behaved, and I would have stayed for the fest, but (a) all the tickets for the actual event were apparently sold months before the fest (although the town itself was not closed), and (b) I was dreading the drive to the hotel through either the deadly narrow road along the gorge of Ouray, or back through alcohol-soaked Cortez, after dark, so had to leave at a reasonable hour even though the days were long in that season.

I still do not see any absurdity in the idea of NYC becoming primarily a tourist economy, with an upscale slant, in case that other regular economy substantially departs (which it may). Giuliani knew what he was doing when he cleaned up the city (even if he overdid the Times Square area a little bit... but having an oasis of dumbness for less sophisticated visitors in Midtown West is still preferable to having a desert of crime all over the city, imho). Tourism kept climbing in economic significance in NYC, while nothing else did, even during BdB.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This exit, will be permanent until there is a widely available cure. Almost all tech, financial, and office workers are gonna be indefinitely telecommute.

The one plus I am hoping out of this will be that I won't have to step foot in NYC ever again for work. There is absolutely no need for the kind of tech work I do to require being in person. Some firms have adopted telecommute years ago but NYC lately has been anti-telecommute but this will make it a come back.

This means most tech and office workers won't be needing to live near NYC in close proximity and no need to speed money on overpriced lunches and expensive train tickets.

NYC will collapse in a few years if this shift in telecommute remains. Most people will move further out as telecommute becomes the norm. I know office folks working all around the world now because they no longer have to be near office.
If I were a conspiratorial minded person (which I am), I would say you've probably nailed it with your guesses as to why they have fought against it. They need to herd those goyim in and out of there everyday to keep the foot traffic up and money spending lol.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:46 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're worse than someone else who thankfully stopped posting in this thread who refuses to admit the absurdity of disproven claims. If you believe 400,000 people could be in Telluride at once without turning the place into a veritable reservoir of human bodies due to its topographical layout, I have not one, not two, but all 16 or so major NYC bridges to sell you. I own them, I can show you the pamphlet.
You know you're ready to move to Telluride now because of his huge blathering paragraphs.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:25 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
This thread is interesting (if not a little insufferable....lol....Airborne, I don't agree with you on a lot of things but have to give you a ton of credit - you are one patient man haha!)

I ma not considering moving out of the NYC area any more than I was before this. Technically I moved out of NYC proper, to lower Westchester but barely count that. I'm a homeowner, and my family is here. I've been working remotely for 6 weeks now, and foresee doing so for at least 6-8 more (if not longer).

Airborne, have you considered Maine?

Old 04-28-2020, 11:11 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm not too surprised people are already heading for the exits. You turn off the party (bars, restaurants, theaters, museums and whatnot) and the place is just an overpriced toilet LOL.
Definitely in the mood that my apartment is just an expensive storage unit at the moment

Old 04-28-2020, 11:14 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You know you're ready to move to Telluride now because of his huge blathering paragraphs.
It's hard to tell who this single sentence is directed at. Am I the blather-er convincing someone else to move, or am I the reader of blathering paragraphs, now convinced to move?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-28-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
This thread is interesting (if not a little insufferable....lol....Airborne, I don't agree with you on a lot of things but have to give you a ton of credit - you are one patient man haha!)

I ma not considering moving out of the NYC area any more than I was before this. Technically I moved out of NYC proper, to lower Westchester but barely count that. I'm a homeowner, and my family is here. I've been working remotely for 6 weeks now, and foresee doing so for at least 6-8 more (if not longer).

Airborne, have you considered Maine?
I'm a lot more even tempered than some want to give credit for. For example, I just ran to the precinct roof to witness the flyby. Reason being (besides how cool they are in general), they saved my butt in Bosnia way back when. When one has experienced such events, it's tough to get rattled by online prattles.

We love Maine, but in some ways it would be a higher cost of living for me there than parts of upstate NY due to my unique tax status as a retired NYC public employee. So in some ways - which I have ALWAYS took care to mention - remaining here is better for me. The problem arises in that politically, NY has turned against many aspects of my life, so I'd be forced to ignore a lot of laws to remain here in retirement.

My wife and I consider these issues almost daily. When the time comes, we will have worked every scenario to ensure our decision is the correct one. Contrary to the former obsessed party, there's no stress or frustration in my calculated decision making process. I'll remain here as long as it is the most beneficial choice due to multiple factors. As the various categories change in importance, we will react accordingly.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-28-2020, 11:22 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Tourism kept climbing in economic significance in NYC, while nothing else did, even during BdB.
Wrong again. Where do you pull these facts from anyway? I’m guessing from below your waist and from the back. Like so many other “experts” so you definitely have company.
https://www.swyftfilings.com/learnin...ry-report-2018.
I’m amazed you are so ill informed on so many things. I can post more links if you need.
Also, it’s common knowledge that Woodstock festival was held 40 miles away on a farm. Who’da think I’d have to explain that one.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Also, it’s common knowledge that Woodstock festival was held 40 miles away on a farm. Who’da think I’d have to explain that one.
Ugh, I can't believe I didn't catch that glaring hole in her argument. Good one! I talked about the field but left out that it was in a whole different county far from the actual town.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City