Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 06:34 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Sorry, but I don't see that arrogance. I talk here the way I always talk, and in my normal everyday life people do not consider me arrogant.
In your normal everyday life, people do not tell you that they consider you arrogant. You actually don't know what they're thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 06:51 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Methinks you chose Telluride because you figured no one posting here besides yourself has set foot in the town. Confronted with the fact that you aren’t the only one, you attempted to set up your next pivot through your other travels. I’ve traveled this country from end to end, mostly by car because I love roadtrips (like the 300 miles we did this saturday just for hamburgers), lived in multiple states and regions and have close friends in almost every state, so go ahead as long as you think you can tie your musings in with NYC-relevancy.

I chose Telluride because it is a small town which hosts an enormous number of visitors - an example that it is possible to have a huge local economy based entirely on hundreds of thousands non-resident visitors... therefore, economy of NYC could presumably get preserved by tens of millions of non-resident visitors if a large number of current residents of NYC leave the city (being that the title of this thread is "Droves of people are fleeing NYC permanently..."). The mention of my other travels is not a pivot, but simply the context of my statement about Telluride (yes, I travel a lot; yes, I see stuff when I travel; yes, I have seen a lot of people in Telluride).

The mention of welfare populatiin (for the other poster) is for the following reason: if a lot of tax-paying residents of NYC leave, the non-resident visitors could probably salvage the economy of NYC (since there would remain a huge number of jobs and enterprises catering to these people), but non-resident visitors could not support a massive welfare population because non-resident visitors do not pay state or NYC income taxes.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:49 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I found the numbers you are referring to. You didn’t read them correctly. If you’ve been to Telluride and aren’t posting with ego, you’ll admit that it is downright impossible for 400,000 people to be there at one time. Not even remotely close.

What the link says (which I WILL post), is that 400,000 people total (including residents) spent time in Telluride annually. Furthermore, apparently they count residents per day spent there. So each resident could potentially count 365 times.

Here’s the link, since I’ve no reason to hide it. No clue why you couldn’t find it. Took me two seconds.

https://www.telluridenews.com/news/a...2760d4065.html

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2020, 08:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
I'm not too surprised people are already heading for the exits. You turn off the party (bars, restaurants, theaters, museums and whatnot) and the place is just an overpriced toilet LOL.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I found the numbers you are referring to. You didn’t read them correctly. If you’ve been to Telluride and aren’t posting with ego, you’ll admit that it is downright impossible for 400,000 people to be there at one time. Not even remotely close.

What the link says (which I WILL post), is that 400,000 people total (including residents) spent time in Telluride annually. Furthermore, apparently they count residents per day spent there. So each resident could potentially count 365 times.

Here’s the link, since I’ve no reason to hide it. No clue why you couldn’t find it. Took me two seconds.

https://www.telluridenews.com/news/a...2760d4065.html

Of course I COULD find it - I told you that I found it after quickly googling the info for which you wanted a citation - but I could not post a link in this forum, I don't know how to post links here, I never bothered to figure out how (the usual procedure of copying and pasting doesn't work).

The figure for 400,000 visitors which I mentioned earluer is from a tourist brochure that I picked up in town, that did not mention how the figure was derived - likely because the tourist board did not feel like putting into a golfing-vacation advertisement the info that the population of the town swells to 400,000 in the golf season, as counted by number of solid-waste toilet flushes per month (the method revealed in the link that you posted :-).

So, I was wrong about 400,000 visitors on a peak tourist day, but you were also wrong about this being an annual number of visitors. The number of 400,000 is the total number of doo-doos flushed into Telluride toilets in 31 days of July 2018. The assumption is that each person in town produces one doo-doo per day, so the number of doo-doos counted is the estimate of number of people in Telluride per month (not on a peak day as I thought, but not annually either as you thought). Visitors with constipation weren't counted enough, and visitors with irritable bowel syndrome may have been counted double or triple.

What actually counts is that Telluride receives A LOT of visitors, with a relatively large proportion of high-end visitors (and judging from the gigantic crowd I saw on the day of the annual bluegrass festival in Telluride, I do believe it possible for 400k people to be in and around that town at one time - 400k is also the estimated number of people that were at Woodstock, and if you ever were in Woodstock, NY, you know it is about the size of Telluride). It is an example of a local economy entirely supported with a large (relative to local population) number of high-end non-resident visitors..... which can be extrapolated into a situation of NYC losing a lot of its residential population, but still retaining big economy due to a massive non-residential visitor population. My alleged ego does not factor anywhere in this story, and never did.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-27-2020 at 09:04 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 04:33 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm not too surprised people are already heading for the exits. You turn off the party (bars, restaurants, theaters, museums and whatnot) and the place is just an overpriced toilet LOL.
Agree, it’s an overpriced toilet even WITH those things. Other cities have all of those things too and a much better quality of life, imo.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:36 AM

Woodstock was a one time event 51 years ago which was a disgusting mudpile of hippy bodies that didn’t care about hygiene for 3 days.

Telluride is a very exclusive smal town that does not have the infrastructure or housing capacity to have 400,000 people present at one time. If you’ve spent a single day there, you should’ve easily picked up on that. A one time event in one of the fields past town out by the old mining facilities, maybe, but not on a sustained basis at any point during the season. The road would back up for weeks trying to get 400,000 people into town. The single road that weave for miles through mountains to get there...

Come on, just admit it was an absurd assertion and move on.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-28-2020, 06:59 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Woodstock was a one time event 51 years ago which was a disgusting mudpile of hippy bodies that didn’t care about hygiene for 3 days.

Telluride is a very exclusive smal town that does not have the infrastructure or housing capacity to have 400,000 people present at one time. If you’ve spent a single day there, you should’ve easily picked up on that. A one time event in one of the fields past town out by the old mining facilities, maybe, but not on a sustained basis at any point during the season. The road would back up for weeks trying to get 400,000 people into town. The single road that weave for miles through mountains to get there...

Yes, in fact this absurdity reminds me of what many consider to be the "definitive" song that Joni Mitchell wrote about Woodstock... an event which she never attended, much less played at, lol.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I spent several single days in Telluride (although never stayed in town overnight, because I worked/stayed elsewhere in the Four Corners area). The town is geared towards golf, skiing, and festivals, and is upscale, but is not "very exclusive". There is a secluded ravine deep in the mountains about halfway between Cortez and Telluride, enclosed in very steep slopes, does not have a paved road leading to it (not sure it is actually accessible by land at all), but does have a helipad. A colleague on permanent staff in the place where I was doing contract work drove me in that area in their Land Cruiser (my car company specifically did not allow driving my rented car on unpaved roads), and pointed that place to me from above the ravine. It looked like a bunch of oversized log cabins, but the colleague told me it was a closed, high-security vacation community of billionaires. Well, I consider THAT very exclusive :-). Telluride doesn't have poverty, but is by no means very exclusive, it is like Alpine ski towns in Europe.

As a matter of fact, the road to Telluride WAS backed up, coming from the direction of Cortez and Rico on the day of the festival, although not for miles, and the line was not at a standstill, ie, was moving slowly. I parked my rental car (with random TX plates) on somebody's property (I told them who I was, and that I would be only for a few hours, and they let me, considering the festival situation), and hiked a good mile to the main street. The only thing that I will "admit" is that the town was less clogged with people on a different weekend, but there were still A LOT of people, and if someone told me there were 400,000 people in and around the town (as the tourist pamphlet told me), I would have accepted it (as I did), particularly after seeing the spread of houses as far as the view could reach from the cable car. But the exact number of tourists is not important - I stand by the assertion that Telluride is a good small model of what could happen with NYC economy if a lot of permanent residents and businesses leave NYC.

Btw, I was not at Woodstock myself (I was 9 years old, and lived on a different continent), but have been in Woodstock, NY (just a brief stop for an hour, at the time I was making several trips to move self from PA to Boston, and still owned the car I had in PA. Since then, summer 1992, I only rent cars when needed. I needed cars for working in non-urban areas, still need them for taking scenic trips, but otherwise prefer to leave driving to various airlines, Amtrak, and budget buses, why not).

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-28-2020 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 07:32 AM

You're worse than someone else who thankfully stopped posting in this thread who refuses to admit the absurdity of disproven claims. If you believe 400,000 people could be in Telluride at once without turning the place into a veritable reservoir of human bodies due to its topographical layout, I have not one, not two, but all 16 or so major NYC bridges to sell you. I own them, I can show you the pamphlet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City