Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 AM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times

Advertisements

I got my license when I was 19 but never owned a car till I was 25. Ironically enough, the main reason I got one was because I was sick of public transportation. And my insurance now is like $90 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn't imagine living without a car of my own. I don't care if I lived on 5th Avenue in Midtown. What do these people do when they want to travel anywhere outside of NYC and/or out of mass transit range? As a matter of fact, I can't even fathom having to share a car with my wife.
I agree but to a lot of NYers, their lives revolve around the city exclusively. Long Island to them is hillbilly land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:58 AM

337 posts, read 356,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Every grown ass adult should own a car. Good lord insurance is only a couple hundred bucks a month if you get basic liability. And gas is cheap. Cmon now, folks. Maybe it's a Queens thang, but me and every god damn homie I knew growing up got their license by 18 and on the road soon thereafter. And that was in the late 80s.
When I lived in Queens, I ditched my car. I live in Westchester now. Still no car and get around just fine. Not having a car = thousands in savings on insurance, gas (thought it's low now), unforseen tickets (even the most careful driver may get one, you never know), registration, inspection, time wasted looking for parking, money wasted for parking, time and money wasted on maintenance. I may get one in the near future, but not having one for this time has been more beneficial for my own circumstances (emphasize "my" circumstances).

If you live in an area where there is no main street, live very far from your job and nowhere near public transportation, then it becomes a necessity. If you live in the 5 boroughs, Newark or the inner suburbs (many parts of central-lower Westchester or most of Nassau), you don't "need" a car, though having one can certainly make things easier. Just get up earlier and time public transport.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:11 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Another article about people leaving NYC https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/these-...-never-return/

Quote:
New York City’s largest moving company, Dumbo Moving + Storage, reported that moves were up 11 percent this March compared with last, “which is unusual because people don’t typically move this time of year,” says CEO and founder Lior Rachmany. “The peak moving season begins in May, which is why this increase in moves is strictly due to COVID-19,” adds Rachmany, who is seeing many folks leaving the Upper West Side and West Harlem for less dense outposts both near (Staten Island, Long Island, New Jersey and Connecticut) and far (Massachusetts and Washington, DC).

Real estate investor Ed Teig, 40, didn’t hesitate to leave his Midtown East apartment on April 1 to rent a house in Larchmont, NY, on five days’ notice. “It was nearly impossible to avoid contact with people [in the city] during the pandemic,” says Teig. “We have two young kids, and we found it very difficult to take them outside and not be near other families.”

Old 04-30-2020, 08:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
All I can add to this interesting thread is that there is life and its pretty awesome outside of NYC!

Old 04-30-2020, 09:40 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Cities like New York were always risky. China could just launch another
virus anytime they want to. Terrorists could plant a dirty bomb and wipe
out thousands in a single day.
Exactly.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:54 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn't imagine living without a car of my own. I don't care if I lived on 5th Avenue in Midtown. What do these people do when they want to travel anywhere outside of NYC and/or out of mass transit range? As a matter of fact, I can't even fathom having to share a car with my wife.
I've been living without a car all my life and traveled extensively. Again, this is mostly an American thing. Plenty of adults all over the world get along just fine without a car. When I do want to travel, there are things called planes and trains. If I want to get out of NYC specifically, I have friends that can do me the favor of driving me to where I need and I´ll pay for gas, etc. I would never live in an area where a car is absolutely necessary, of course.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:57 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
When I lived in Queens, I ditched my car. I live in Westchester now. Still no car and get around just fine. Not having a car = thousands in savings on insurance, gas (thought it's low now), unforseen tickets (even the most careful driver may get one, you never know), registration, inspection, time wasted looking for parking, money wasted for parking, time and money wasted on maintenance. I may get one in the near future, but not having one for this time has been more beneficial for my own circumstances (emphasize "my" circumstances).

If you live in an area where there is no main street, live very far from your job and nowhere near public transportation, then it becomes a necessity. If you live in the 5 boroughs, Newark or the inner suburbs (many parts of central-lower Westchester or most of Nassau), you don't "need" a car, though having one can certainly make things easier. Just get up earlier and time public transport.
Exactly! I find a car would be a major inconvenience in my life. I hate driving and then you have to deal with other people on the road, etc. I agree cars can make certain trips easier/faster, but that depends where you live or where you are going. In Europe, there is an amazing service called BLABLACAR that would never fly in the US. You simply type in the city or town you are going to, and whoever is going there charges you a price that includes gas, etc. Often, you get about 3-4 people in the car and it is an awesome idea that I wish we had in the US. But no, not here. Everything here is "my my my my". Sharing? Lol.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
When the fear blows over, these people will remember why they lived in NYC to begin with whenever they have to drive a few miles to get a quart of milk.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:17 AM

337 posts, read 356,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
When the fear blows over, these people will remember why they lived in NYC to begin with whenever they have to drive a few miles to get a quart of milk.
All about where you live. In White Plains, I can walk to Target (pre-covid) and pick up a Quart of milk at 12AM. Corner stores, 24 hrs.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:22 AM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
So are people actually packing up and leaving for good yet, or is it all talk or what?
I know anecdotally a lot of people moved away temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City