Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
By "should" own a car I don't mean everyone needs a car so they should have one. I get it. I lived in Manhattan for many years but kept my car out in Queens. But I think every adult at some point "should" go out and buy a car of some sort at some point in time. Especially the outer parts of the boroughs like South BK and outer Queens and SI. If you didn't have a car by 21 in NE Queens, people thought you were weird, and forget about picking up girls or going on dates.
There is a thing called ZIPCAR which is cheaper than owning a car all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm not too surprised people are already heading for the exits. You turn off the party (bars, restaurants, theaters, museums and whatnot) and the place is just an overpriced toilet LOL.
You can say that for every major city in America that has bars and clubs. Its 2020, just about every major city is "overpriced" at this point.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I was right about Gen z. Covid 19 will put a nail in the coffin for college millions and millions of college educated born suburbanites who moved to urban areas after graduating from college. Covid will scare many of snowflake generation to move back to thier suburban bubbles. Real estate now in NYC must target Gen Z for jobs and living space.
No it wont.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Setting aside the misdirection that this thread has taken, NYC's obituary has been written many times before. While I am not doubting many New Yorkers (both Natives and Transplants) heading for smaller cities and suburban areas, there will be an entirely different group willing to move to NYC, if real estate costs decline: students, artists, small business owners who were unable to afford the high costs of living/working in the City. Those people and their viewpoints are not even represented in this thread.

Hyberbolic phrases like the City is going to empty out, or this is the end of NYC are just that -- opinions with an agenda. If you don't like NYC and want to leave, I get it -- I left the City for Grad School and have lived in Boston. If things change, I would absolutely buy investment property and pied a terre in NYC if the prices decline and I know that I am not the only one.
I'm glad you brought this up. People have always been claiming NYC is done for decades but overall the city has come up a lot. Despite what people say NYC quality of life is much better than it was in the 70s and 80s, and as a matter of fact NYC's density has done more good than bad to its residents. NYC has one of the longest life expectancy in the nation above the American average because its density.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...health/610471/

New York City has been the largest city in America for pretty much her entire history. People saying the city is going to empty out probably need to leave and take their negative energy with them lol.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:14 PM

On the bright side at least NYC will become more diverse. Immigrants will still come to the city and the Hispanic and Black population will not have to be pushed out. . So its a win win depending on who are.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:29 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Bye troll

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-05-2020, 12:39 AM

21 posts, read 16,239 times
Expect many able dollar folks from Brooklyn and Manhattan to move to Fairfield and Black Rock CT where it’s much cheaper, prettier and more open space right on the water with all the same amenities with an easy hour ride into city for museums if needed. Ball Dont Lie, Son

Old 05-05-2020, 12:41 AM

My shortie who’s a part time realtor says ballers be calling her all day long to purchase homes in Fairfield and Black Rock.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:43 AM

And even the poor immigrants wit kids from Queens and da Bronx be wanting to move up to Norwalk and Bridgeport

Old 05-05-2020, 04:17 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwoodGoon View Post
God forbid but you're most likely to be a victim of an American walking to your nearest walmart and shooting down 50 people in cold blood than any of those things happening lol. I beg to differ, there have been worse virus outbreaks than this and cities have still thrived and the technology in urban centers is much more advanced at fighting a disease than a suburb or rural town which has much more poorer access to medical facilities. Funny enough New Jersey, PA, Michigan, Louisiana all have high cases of Covid-19 and there is not a single city in those stats that is as dense as NYC. NYC's issue is the initial response to the virus from the beginning.
As wonderful as the city is, you can't deny that even a lot of wealthy folks fled the city (at least temporarily) to areas where they may have 2nd homes such as the Hamptons, Hudson Valley, Nantucket (MA), Jersey Shore NJ, etc.

If now was truly a wonderful time to stay in NYC, why didn't they decide to stick it out in Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City