Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 11:27 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times

Advertisements

Setting aside the misdirection that this thread has taken, NYC's obituary has been written many times before. While I am not doubting many New Yorkers (both Natives and Transplants) heading for smaller cities and suburban areas, there will be an entirely different group willing to move to NYC, if real estate costs decline: students, artists, small business owners who were unable to afford the high costs of living/working in the City. Those people and their viewpoints are not even represented in this thread.

Hyberbolic phrases like the City is going to empty out, or this is the end of NYC are just that -- opinions with an agenda. If you don't like NYC and want to leave, I get it -- I left the City for Grad School and have lived in Boston. If things change, I would absolutely buy investment property and pied a terre in NYC if the prices decline and I know that I am not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:33 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's hard to tell who this single sentence is directed at. Am I the blather-er convincing someone else to move, or am I the reader of blathering paragraphs, now convinced to move?
You were the reader of (his) blathering paragraphs.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:47 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You were the reader of (his) blathering paragraphs.
Gotcha.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-28-2020, 01:06 PM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Reason being (besides how cool they are in general), they saved my butt in Bosnia way back when. When one has experienced such events, it's tough to get rattled by online prattles.

When one has grown up in the same country of which Bosnia was a part, and experienced as a child and a teenager constantly simmering hostilities between two major bloodsheds, one values what cool places like Telluride, CO, or the still viable historic areas of NYC, have to give to a citizen of the world. People who can't distinguish that from prattle are missing something major in the first place. But do tell me, why am I of such gripping interest to you guys that you keep "obliquely" referring to me even after we have clearly wrapped up my part the discussion? See, is it really my "ego" (which I am totally unaware I have, if I do), or someone else's dumb little nastiness directed at me? For the info to ****s, I am not "him", I'm a woman.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:12 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm not too surprised people are already heading for the exits. You turn off the party (bars, restaurants, theaters, museums and whatnot) and the place is just an overpriced toilet LOL.
Oh please. NYC is a beautiful city with lots of energy and diversity. Don’t call it a toilet...sure it can be dysfunctional, dirty & gritty but that’s what makes it unique.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:14 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Look, you're not on topic. Ever. I humored it as it was a side-bar that I have familiarity with, but you're going to have to learn to stay on topic within the NYC forum from now on. This will likely limit your input here as we all know. So be it.

You're free - as I stated earlier - to attempt to justify the efficacy of your left-field parables, but I cannot guarantee success when judged through the lenses of NYC-centered relevancy.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-28-2020, 01:46 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
If things change, I would absolutely buy investment property and pied a terre in NYC if the prices decline and I know that I am not the only one.
We're thinking along the same lines. After the kids are grown up, our retirement goal is to spend half the year in LA and half the year in NYC. If the Manhattan RE market declines even more over the next few years, we'll definitely be looking to pick something up.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:09 PM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Move to Upstate. The REAL Upstate. I'm talking western, central and Finger Lakes areas. Rather than be packed like sardines in NYC, you can have room to breathe. Still have the large urban area, if you want it. Buffalo and Rochester are each 1.1 million. Syracuse and Utica combined are over a million too. There's professional sports, great food and restaurants, culture, Wegmans, ski, golf, sail, parks are everywhere. If you can work from home, you could live like a king here. Or get a job here. COL is low. Housing is cheap comparatively.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:00 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Move to Upstate. The REAL Upstate. I'm talking western, central and Finger Lakes areas. Rather than be packed like sardines in NYC, you can have room to breathe. Still have the large urban area, if you want it. Buffalo and Rochester are each 1.1 million. Syracuse and Utica combined are over a million too. There's professional sports, great food and restaurants, culture, Wegmans, ski, golf, sail, parks are everywhere. If you can work from home, you could live like a king here. Or get a job here. COL is low. Housing is cheap comparatively.
Now I'm orginally from Western New York and spent 1999-2015 living in the western part of Nassau County. I am SOOOOOO glad I got the hell out of there when I did! After Sandy I said to my self that is it, I don't want to be stuck down there the next time another disaster hit. I sold my house, moved to the Southtowns south of Buffalo and dont regret it one bit! Ive got a nice big yard, a paid for house and relative peace of mind. Now it was career suicide for me but my wife actually makes more here than she did on Long Island so its all good.
Most people in the NYC metro said I was crazy doing what I did but Im not sure what Im missing. I pay 1/3 the taxes for very good schools and I have more time and money to travel and enjoy larger cities when I want. However there is plenty to do here. Yes the snow can be a challenge but its worth putting up with it to live here.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We're thinking along the same lines. After the kids are grown up, our retirement goal is to spend half the year in LA and half the year in NYC. If the Manhattan RE market declines even more over the next few years, we'll definitely be looking to pick something up.
I think that is a very sensible idea. No matter what happens, NYC will have a number of core neighborhoods which will remain rock solid in terms of values/desirability. I am not willing to let the doom and gloom impact my real estate plans if the price is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City