Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 10:27 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
So are people actually packing up and leaving for good yet, or is it all talk or what?
I know anecdotally a lot of people moved away temporarily.
I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:47 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I've been living without a car all my life and traveled extensively. Again, this is mostly an American thing. Plenty of adults all over the world get along just fine without a car. When I do want to travel, there are things called planes and trains. If I want to get out of NYC specifically, I have friends that can do me the favor of driving me to where I need and I´ll pay for gas, etc. I would never live in an area where a car is absolutely necessary, of course.
I couldn’t live like that. I cannot picture being unable to hop in my car on a moments notice and drive wherever I want, be it down the block or to some random spot upstate or in NJ.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-30-2020, 11:49 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
After two years of discussions and starts and stops, my wife and I made our decision last night. As soon as my stepdaughter graduates from grammar school in 3 years, we are moving to a town in another state that we have chosen where I have a lot of family nearby.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-30-2020, 01:22 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Move to Upstate. The REAL Upstate. I'm talking western, central and Finger Lakes areas. Rather than be packed like sardines in NYC, you can have room to breathe. Still have the large urban area, if you want it. Buffalo and Rochester are each 1.1 million. Syracuse and Utica combined are over a million too. There's professional sports, great food and restaurants, culture, Wegmans, ski, golf, sail, parks are everywhere. If you can work from home, you could live like a king here. Or get a job here. COL is low. Housing is cheap comparatively.
Totally agree, but the winters are brutal up there. Drove straight from Long Island to Glens Falls last winter. It was 25 degrees on LI when I left at noon, -5 when I got to Glens Falls at 4pm. Hits you like a punch.
Upstate winters are dreary. My friend in Baldwinsville (Syracuse) was complaining it snowed last week. But she will never come back to LI.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:46 PM

172 posts, read 589,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Cities like New York were always risky. China could just launch another
virus anytime they want to. Terrorists could plant a dirty bomb and wipe
out thousands in a single day.

This is true, and this is why I'm leaving. It's only a matter of time. I'm also leaving because its obvious that our govt is useless at protecting its citizens. I'm not going to single out any political party because the president, the governor, the mayor and even the city health commissioner all failed. The virus was ravaging china, Italy and Iran but nobody here thought to stock up on medical supplies or ppe just in case? In the biggest and richest city in America doctors and nurses were begging for mask and using trash bags? And city workers like myself didnt get anything for protection until weeks after the city shut down. Thousands of city workers got sick and hundreds died because nobody had a plan or thought to prepare.

Its obvious that all these city and state politicians that make 6 figure salaries are only good for photo ops, lip service and coming up with new ways to fleece the middle class workers out of thier money thru taxes, tolls and tickets. I once loved this city but now I hate it. Me and my pension are going south in 3 yrs. Oh btw this is coming from a liberal Democrat.

Last edited by DewDrop149; 04-30-2020 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 04-30-2020, 03:40 PM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn’t live like that. I cannot picture being unable to hop in my car on a moments notice and drive wherever I want, be it down the block or to some random spot upstate or in NJ.
I hear you. I get a lot of flak from some people about it who cannot even imagine what it's like. To be honest, I hardly even ever think of cars unless I need to get to very specific destinations. Like for example if I wanted to go upstate, I'll either take a bus or train (if possible). If not, then yes things become a bit trickier for me, but not to the point where I still can't get it done. I've paid acquaintances to rent a car for me and drive me if in a specific situation like that.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
These New Yorkers fleeing coronavirus vow they’ll never return A good chunk of NYers will flee once they find a new job or have places to go and work remotely. Even if the city opens up, no company wants to risk their employees getting sick. The biggest issue is avoiding subways, trains, and buses. Even if you wear a mask, you can get sick as long as 1-2 idiots decide not to wear a mask the air droplets eventually will get into your eyes.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:00 PM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
Which state airborne? Using the last crash as reference real estate bottomed out about 3 years after the fact. Vision, the rich will be back to suck this place dry sooner or later. It'll take a while but it'll rebound.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
After two years of discussions and starts and stops, my wife and I made our decision last night. As soon as my stepdaughter graduates from grammar school in 3 years, we are moving to a town in another state that we have chosen where I have a lot of family nearby.
That's nice but why wait that long. If you have something to sell I'd sell it and leave before the market totally collapses again.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:56 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's nice but why wait that long. If you have something to sell I'd sell it and leave before the market totally collapses again.
You obviously don't have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City