Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 05:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
You obviously don't have children.
Children don't the drive the car or land the plane. Mommies and Daddies do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 06:01 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Children don't the drive the car or land the plane. Mommies and Daddies do that.
So. Clueless. Got it.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
So. Clueless. Got it.
This is why I'm happily not married either.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:33 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
They don’t but we are responsible for ensuring their lives are disrupted as little as possible and that every decision we make is more beneficial to them than it is to us, which is a big part of why I gave up my dream of moving to the Adirondacks to live as a happy hermit.

The place we have decided on has family very close, isn’t far from here, much more for the kids to do, great schools, and will net us a much larger house much cheaper leaving us a lot more to spend making their lives better. Priorities as a parent.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-30-2020, 08:00 PM

565 posts, read 362,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. Plenty of adults (such as myself) could care less about owning a car. Much of the car obsession is exclusively American. I agree that you definitely need a car (unfortunately) in most of the YS, so if you live in an area that requires it, yes, get a car. But if you live in an area where it is not needed/wanted, then your comment makes no sense.
By "should" own a car I don't mean everyone needs a car so they should have one. I get it. I lived in Manhattan for many years but kept my car out in Queens. But I think every adult at some point "should" go out and buy a car of some sort at some point in time. Especially the outer parts of the boroughs like South BK and outer Queens and SI. If you didn't have a car by 21 in NE Queens, people thought you were weird, and forget about picking up girls or going on dates.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:07 AM

910 posts, read 753,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
By "should" own a car I don't mean everyone needs a car so they should have one. I get it. I lived in Manhattan for many years but kept my car out in Queens. But I think every adult at some point "should" go out and buy a car of some sort at some point in time. Especially the outer parts of the boroughs like South BK and outer Queens and SI. If you didn't have a car by 21 in NE Queens, people thought you were weird, and forget about picking up girls or going on dates.
Oh ok. What people think of me is of no concern (and neither was/is "picking up girls"). But yeah, I get how that can make many go out and buy a car. I've never spent money on something I don't absolutely need.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
They don’t but we are responsible for ensuring their lives are disrupted as little as possible and that every decision we make is more beneficial to them than it is to us, which is a big part of why I gave up my dream of moving to the Adirondacks to live as a happy hermit.

The place we have decided on has family very close, isn’t far from here, much more for the kids to do, great schools, and will net us a much larger house much cheaper leaving us a lot more to spend making their lives better. Priorities as a parent.
That's cool. She was insinuating that leaving Staten Island (of all places) and moving to a better place was somehow a death sentence for grammar school aged kids. Give me a break. If they were Freshmen or Sophomores in high school I could see staying put for their sake for a couple more years, but if anything you'd be doing them a favor leaving NYC before the other little hoodlums hit puberty and get nasty as kids tend to do around 12-14 who don't have anybody putting the fear of God into them at home and raising them right. I'm clueless though.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Oh ok. What people think of me is of no concern (and neither was/is "picking up girls"). But yeah, I get how that can make many go out and buy a car. I've never spent money on something I don't absolutely need.
You'll go far with that attitude as I believe it to be the correct one. People who buy cars or anything else to impress women or their idiot buddies who probably also make a lot of bad financial decisions are not who you want to emulate. Unfortunately I had to learn that one the hard way as many people do. (Some never learn)

Old 05-01-2020, 10:17 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
That's cool. She was insinuating that leaving Staten Island (of all places) and moving to a better place was somehow a death sentence for grammar school aged kids. Give me a break. If they were Freshmen or Sophomores in high school I could see staying put for their sake for a couple more years, but if anything you'd be doing them a favor leaving NYC before the other little hoodlums hit puberty and get nasty as kids tend to do around 12-14 who don't have anybody putting the fear of God into them at home and raising them right. I'm clueless though.
I "insinuated" nothing of the kind.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I "insinuated" nothing of the kind.
Okay, well aren't you mysterious in your ways then.

Whoever puts up with you every day is a lucky guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City