Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 08:36 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,973,458 times

Advertisements

I watched the Challenger explode in 1st grade. Only a child would use “boomer” as an insult regardless. Anyway, time up.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 09:59 PM

615 posts, read 448,740 times
Airborneguy: You should move from NYC's most conservative boro to NYS's most conservative county! (Hamilton County)

Old 04-27-2020, 03:21 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,936 times
Liberals often run cities like New York into
The ground financially. NYC will go bankrupt
Without a federal bailout and those pensions will disappear for state employees. It already has depressed
Upstate NY, but now it's gonna happen
In the city.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:02 AM

874 posts, read 454,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

"Scotch usually. Fresh made Margarita right now."

Oooh. Scotch. It’s definitely an acquired taste. I used to have shots & snifters….

I’ve drank it all. Brandy Alexanders to a shot ~n~ a beer … to tiki hut drinks.

Scotch is too harsh for me. The taste - not compatible for my taste buds.

A nice snifter/shot of Grand marnier is yummy…….

I used to have many Harvey Wallbangers…….(easy on the Galliano)….

i like rum & orange juice….and a nice frothy/slushy marguerita is cool…(no salt around my rim)… (set me up yo)….

Old 04-27-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post

"Wow! How do you get those glasses to sparkle that much? Calgonite?"

i do my own washing...heh.

whether it’s a simple smiley…

…or a sparkly one

or one in motion…

...not calgonite....but, if it weren’t for this website, the staff, and it being up-to-date---(supporting image(s))…

there would be nuffin (____) here……………

Old 04-27-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post

". . .You actually haven’t seen high crime if you think NYC has that. All you gotta go is go to next door neighbor Newark to see what real high crime is..."

It’s disgusting/appalling.

*just another nut getting his hands on an illegal gun*

What kind of high-crime people are they? Nobody is sick of it…..

why does society/authorities/the gov’t/ put up with it? Why? “ain’t” enough jobs back then! (pre-pandemic).

...Still being held down?

Old 04-27-2020, 08:21 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behouse View Post
I finally read the article, and to me it sounds like pure speculation. I didn't really see any credible data posted; that's probably because it's still too early to tell. It was a lot to read for no proof.

"
After 9/11, there were fears of a mass exodus fueled by the belief that the city was more susceptible to terrorism than it previously thought it was.
Data shows that never materialized. Some financial institutions moved their operations temporarily while Wall Street was rebuilt, but there was never a significant departure of residents, according to data released by the IRS which examined trends between 1997 and 2007."

Okay so going by this, there wasn't a significant departure of residents. Now for the Spanish Flu part:

"In the years that followed, there was a surge in population growth and building which revitalized the city. "

If I were to assume NYC follows what happened after the Spanish Flu, then population growth will cancel out if not exceed those who are leaving the city.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:13 AM

7,356 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behouse View Post
* Young families who were considering moves to the suburbs have been given the push they need, real estate experts say

* Singletons who can now work remotely from anywhere are also eyeing less expensive cities with better weather

* One real estate business told DailyMail.com they receive 'hundreds' of inquiries a week from people trying to
leave

*It raises questions of how the city's tax income will be affected by an exodus

*It is unclear how and when the city will reopen and which businesses will even be able to open their doors again after weeks with no income
Here is another article about New Yorkers rethinking their lives - this time from the ultra liberal UK Guardian:

Quote:
have long known that much of my life’s frustrations come from trying to have it both ways. Though they were made available to me, I shunned more traditional and more stable careers. Instead, I have continued, time and again, to try to be a writer, knowing full well this is not a stable choice. I simultaneously hoped for and attempted to create a stable life for our kids. I continued to attempt to perpetuate the illusion that I live the kind of life that people with more traditional jobs are able to afford – we kept living in New York, with two kids, kept trying to have health insurance and sometimes go to the dentist, kept trying to send our children to good public schools and summer camps.

Stability has long been little more than fantasy, is what I’m saying. But since this crisis – since our precarity has turned to terror, then futility; since the hole that we now find ourselves in has become too deep perhaps to ever claw our way back out – the absurdity of those delusions has become much more apparent. The shame I feel, toward all those years of pretending, is that much more pronounced.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-this-pandemic

Pretty whiny like most Guardian articles - pretty much confirms many people are looking at NYC differently

Old 04-27-2020, 10:20 AM

19,054 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Pretty whiny like most Guardian articles - pretty much confirms many people are looking at NYC differently
See now THAT is the type of person who sounds to me like they will have a hard time wherever they go. "Keeping up with the Joneses" exists everywhere, especially when you've already had a taste of NYC. Wherever that family goes next, they're going to need to feel like they are the best, further ruining their finances in an attempt to find happiness.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-27-2020, 12:35 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times
A lot of businesses have already been pulling out of NYC (due to prohibitive taxes and ability to do all business online nowadays), as well as middle class (due to the same reasons plus the cost of living). But I think Manhattan and some of Brooklyn will remain interesting to foreign tourists, and to better-off owners of pied-a-terres (non-residents of NY City or State). I think that the city will continue to cater to tourism and upscale leisure services, though the number of domiciled New Yorkers will likely shrink (which trend had started well before the virus).

Consider a smaller-scale example of the town of Telluride, CO. It started out as a mining town, but the mining business gradually disappeared for variety of reasons. But the town had a great appeal to upscale tourists because of its beautiful setting and romantic history... so it became a ski resort in the winter and golf resort in the summer. The town has a residential population of less than 2,500 people (median annual income about $55k) - but the tourist population at two peak times of the year is over 400,000 people, ie, almost 160 times the population of permanent residents. NYC could see some variant of that fate on a larger scale.

The thing is, tourists or pied-a-terre owners do not pay state income taxes. There is no mechanism to support any welfare population in Telluride, CO. There are the rich and the upper middle class who come to ski and golf, and there is a small local population all employed in hospitality business. With the exception of occassional traveling homeless hippie types, you don't see anyone poor in Telluride. The town has about 100 serious crimes per year, 80% of which are thefts. For a fairly recent year when I was briefly there, the statistics showed 18 assaults and 2 robberies (for the whole year, in a town that contains up to more than $400,000 people). These 20 things were the worst crimes registered in Telluride that year (that would correspond to about 380 assaults and 42 muggings per year extrapolated to the whole NYC population).

The Telluride, CO situation would be a pretty good outcome for NYC - if the city can figure out what to do with its welfare population. There is every indication that the city would not have been able to collect enough tax revenue this year to keep the same level of welfare benefits, even without the virus. There is also every indication that the city cannot count on too much federal help even in the year of the virus, let alone subsequently. I do maintain that the size of the welfare population is THE one and only problem that NYC has - everything else about NYC, including even its population density, has some positive aspect to it that can help the city more than it can hurt it. Only welfare has no positive aspects.

On the opposite side of Telluride (in terms of spectrum of outcomes for places with serious reduction in previously booming economy) is of course Detroit. NYC may choose to go that way too, as I said well before the virus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City