Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 07:14 PM

700 posts, read 422,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
It’s dirty, overpriced, overcrowded, rude people, bad weather and now, the hot spot for this virus.

Most people I know that have left are so much happier and healthier.
I find it funny how New Yorkers complain about “overcrowding” but are currently overcrowding the south east states of America.

NYC was a much dirtier, filthier place with not only rude people but violent people a few decades back.

Yet you were still living here and probably “happy”

The real issue here is that you are probably correlating your financial issues with the city.

And I find your last sentence subjective. I’m 29 and I don’t know much young people who left NYC and are happy or healthier.

As a matter of fact most of the unhealthiest states are in the South.

Last edited by iLoveFashion; 04-25-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I totally agree -- in fact I note that most people who really don't like NYC are people who actually were born and raised here. On a personal level, I can't say I "hate" NYC, but I definitely do want out and like me, many others. Many people want to leave but other things tie them down to the place. I remember the first time I spent an extended period of time living far away from NYC and I loved and enjoyed every moment of it. No stress to deal with, none of the bad "competitive" attitudes one hears or witnesses so often, slower pace of life, CHEAPER...for many times better quality...I could go on and on and on but won't bother.

Any big city is going to have a crappy quality of life for many, but in NYC it's not just a bad quality of life...it's everything else that can be added to that, including horrible weather most of the year, ugly buildings in many places, too many crowds and too many flakes or people who want to get to know you only if they can gain something from you and now, with the pandemic, horrible poverty on the way. The city had for many years hidden the real levels of poverty, often hidden in faraway neighborhoods. As tourism massively declines, revenues go down, businesses shutter forever and New Yorkers see that there is no place to go except a sub par tiny apartment (as is the case for many unless you are very very rich or lucky in other ways), well what can I say? Things are looking great aren't they!?
You did not really give a realistic reason as to what is added to the bad quality of life in NYC.

Ugly buildings? Seriously grow up dude. No mature person is staring at buildings and putting that on their list of what hurts their quality of living in NYC.

There are many people whose quality of life has improved since moving to NYC. I’m sure educated folks in Alabama would call you privileged and stuck up.

My real estate friend who works in Baltimore tends to find the things that New Yorkers complain about makes them come off as little babies. Then again she works in Baltimore where even being a real estate agent is dangerous.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It would be a wise move. Even if NYC metro does not get covid II, we just discovered how fragile NYC is. Petri dish for viruses.

I have no doubt there will be more in the future, and am not optimistic about the results.
Not really fragile just handled the wrong way. There are many dense places in Asia such as Taiwan that handled this beautifully.

You need to be educated about virus outbreaks before posting nonsense because if this were an Ebola outbreak you’d be begging yourself to live in NYC and not flyover rural America.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:36 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
There seems to always be a pattern of people who call NYC a hell hole. One similarity is their income
Quote:
Yes! I’ve actually always wanted NYC to have a mass exodus just so us New Yorkers who are not complainers can afford a home.
Lol. This is grand. You’re suggesting the complainers are poor yet you need us to leave so you can afford a house. Lol

How about I’ll rent you the one I’ve owned for 12 years, making nearly double my monthly mortgage payment the whole time. If you could afford the rent of course.

Quote:
Sorry I don’t take people who bragged about NYC in the 70s, 80s and 90s seriously when discussing this topic.
I don’t know why you quoted me when you wrote this, but I was born in 1978 so I barely remember the 80’s even. And what I do remember was definitely nothing worth bragging about. The place was far worse then. I “complain” because I see that returing now because of our leftist overlords.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-25-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Lol. This is grand. You’re suggesting the complainers are poor yet you need us to leave so you can afford a house. Lol

How about I’ll rent you the one I’ve owned for 12 years, making nearly double my monthly mortgage payment the whole time. If you could afford the rent of course.

I don’t know why you quoted me when you wrote this, but I was born in 1978 so I barely remember the 80’s even. And what I do remember was definitely nothing worth bragging about. The place was far worse then. I “complain” because I see that returing now because of our leftist overlords.
I have an emergency savings fund which 70% of Americans do not. I have tons of money in the bank which your average American does not simply because I am very frugal and love saving and investing money.

Why wouldn’t I want a house that cost 1 million to drop to 550K? I’m 29 so the fact that I’m looking to own a home at this age puts me light years ahead of people in my age group across the country.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:44 PM

I also like how people on this thread are making it seem like people across the country arent struggling due to coronavirus. But I forgot New Yorkers tend to only think the world evolves around them. Even when they hate on NyC they still act like the world evolves around them lmao.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:45 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
According to the news here in Hawaii, more than 400 wealthy NYC residents relocated to Hawaii recently.
One to a secluded Maui rental home for $20,000 per month.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We’re certainly considering it. My wife wants out bad and I’ve hated this city for a long time.
If you were ever at Ft. Benning, you might consider retiring in Columbus, GA. Very low cost of living, and lots of military retirees. Brand new Martin Army Hospital, and the 2nd biggest post exchange in America.

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.nationalinfantrymuseum.com

Old 04-25-2020, 08:22 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
A Peruvian family just scooped up 8 luxury condos in NYC, in a $27 million all-cash deal to safeguard their wealth during the pandemic

A family from Peru just splashed out $27 million on eight condos in New York City to park their cash during the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Wall Street Journal's Katherine Clarke.

The buyers, who remain unidentified, received a 7% discount for buying the condos in bulk and in an all-cash deal during an uncertain real-estate market.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peru...rk-cash-2020-4

Old 04-25-2020, 08:25 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
If you were ever at Ft. Benning, you might consider retiring in Columbus, GA. Very low cost of living, and lots of military retirees. Brand new Martin Army Hospital, and the 2nd biggest post exchange in America.

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.nationalinfantrymuseum.com
Columbus was terrible when I was there. We were warned every friday not to go downtown.

The south in general isn’t for me. I don’t do well in the heat. I actually want to move further north.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City