Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Because... I want to?

Your feelings on this city are not the same as others (as evidenced by this thread which sure seems full of people ready to leave).
I am hearing that Mitch McConnell you heard of him ? He does not want to fund the Blue states that are most demag ed by the Virus. He wants blue states to declare bankruptcy. If that was to happen your pension may vanish or greatly decrease. It's happened elsewhere. That would be tragic. But it would be ironic that if it did Right wing politicians you probably agreed with about taxes and progressive agendas would be the ones who ruined your dream of retirement while liberals like Schumer and Diblasio could be the ones who save it. Wouldn't that be something. Plus I said I might be moving. My objection was not the moving out.

Last edited by bxlover; 04-23-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 07:37 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am hearing that Mitch McConnell you heard of him ? He does not want to fund the Blue states that are most demag ed by the Virus. He wants blue states to declare bankruptcy. If that was to happen your pension may vanish or greatly decrease. It's happened elsewhere. That would be tragic. But it would be ironic that if it did Right wing politicians you probably agreed with about taxes and progressive agendas would be the ones who ruined your dream of retirement while liberals like Schumer and Diblasio could be the ones who save it. Wouldn't that be something. Plus I said I might be moving. My objection was not the moving out.
I think it's good and right to give people the benefit of the doubt that they don't toe the exact same line for every politician that's supposedly on the same "side."

Mitch can eat dog waste though--NYC and NYS has been giving out a ridiculous amount of money to the feds for decades with its massive deficits on a federal revenue to federal spending ratio that he needs to shut his trap.

Speaking of which, I think both you and Airborne like dogs! How about we all just shake and be good boys?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does it seem full of people ready to leave? The thread's title would seem to attract mostly that, but aside from a few people who have outright saying they're in NYC now and looking to leave, you also have people saying they're looking to stay thus far, a person who wants to move here, and a lot of posts that are in a different situation entirely.
Plus the people who say they are leaving won't. It's a regular theme on this forum. If it's not Covid, it's taxes, or crime. Every week it's the same thing, " Its so hard here I am leaving " But most of them don't leave. Maybe they want to but they don't. Instead of dwelling on what they have they dream of what they don't. As if their lives would be perfect elsewhere. Perhaps I m lumping their sentiments unfairly with the thousands of other such threads. Yet, I tell you this, happiness is not made or lost in this or any other city. You can find people with happiness living in refugee camps and you will find people committing suicide in mansions.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:52 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Plus the people who say they are leaving won't. It's a regular theme on this forum. If it's not Covid, it's taxes, or crime. Every week it's the same thing, " Its so hard here I am leaving " But most of them don't leave. Maybe they want to but they don't. Instead of dwelling on what they have they dream of what they don't. As if their lives would be perfect elsewhere. Perhaps I m lumping their sentiments unfairly with the thousands of other such threads. Yet, I tell you this, happiness is not made or lost in this or any other city. You can find people with happiness living in refugee camps and you will find people committing suicide in mansions.
Sure, wealth doesn't necessarily mean happiness and frequency of receiving oral probably correlates better with life satisfaction--I get that. What I'm trying to say is that you aren't going to change their tune, probably period, but definitely not in the manner you've been going about it, and honestly, why bother?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
I've got a few words about New York. Cuomo DeBlasio Gillibrand Ocasio-Cortez Schumer

What is it about the joint electorate population of that state (and NYC) that elect such people? Can they not find better politicians that them?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
This very thought came to my head. Atlanta/Metro Atlanta are BEGGING for police officers. The pay and benefits here are laughable for what the job requires. I doubt you would have anything near to what you have now if you didn't live in a city like NYC.
You're right. And the Atlanta Police deserve battle pay for what they go thorough daily. Come to think of it, their schoolteachers also deserve battle pay.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, wealth doesn't necessarily mean happiness and frequency of receiving oral probably correlates better with life satisfaction--I get that. What I'm trying to say is that you aren't going to change their tune, probably period, but definitely not in the manner you've been going about it, and honestly, why bother?
Well for the same reason your shared your opinion.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Mitch McConnell wasn't talking about the virus. He was talking about certain states that have been poorly managed and promised pensions they (1) couldn't afford and (2) they never put the money into the pension programs to pay for the pie in the sky pensions. It just happens that most of these type cities and states have a history of being blue places.

Can you imagine any city as poorly run as Chicago? Between the mob, the Daileys and corrupt public unions, they're years past the point of no return. And the State of Illinois is just as bad. There's not enough money to bail them out. Bail one state out and you've got to bail them all out.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:25 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
One has to anticipate such matters and prepare for them. Anyone who doesn’t have multiple avenues of financial security planned for retirement isn’t really enjoying a comfortable retirement now are they? Chastising me with such questions only further reinforces that you’re fond of assuming much about people which you’ve no way of knowing in reality.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 08:27 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Man you’re really obsessed with wanting other people to like this city as much as you do. Why do you care so much about other people’s wants and needs? Honest question from someone who couldn’t care less about what others think.

We’ve gone so far down this path because you’re overly concerned with other people’s desires. As oycrumbler asked, why? Why does it annoy you that I hate this city?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City