Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 05:30 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Yesterday was the first time since the beginning of pandemic and wearing face coverings that I rode up in my building elevator with 2 other people and nobody was wearing masks.

I think mask wearing will be staying around for a while in medical facilities, public transportation and other public indoor spaces. Inside most stores most people are still wearing masks. But I don't know why people simply walking along the street (on sidewalks) are still wearing masks.

I definitely don't think mask wearing has anything to do with politics. Having worked twice in China, I have seen young people there wearing masks at various times of the year due to pollution levels. So I do think that face masks partiallly help protect one from breathing in various pollutants/germs/etc. in the air.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
As the Summer gets hotter, mask wearing is getting more and more onerous. I am intolerant of being overheated.
I trust my vaccination but will carry a mask with me lest I run into too many Karens.

If a store demands I wear a mask, I will choose whether to comply or take my business elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:35 PM

3,477 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think mask wearing will be staying around for a while in medical facilities, public transportation and other public indoor spaces. Inside most stores most people are still wearing masks. But I don't know why people simply walking along the street (on sidewalks) are still wearing masks.

I definitely don't think mask wearing has anything to do with politics. Having worked twice in China, I have seen young people there wearing masks at various times of the year due to pollution levels. So I do think that face masks partiallly help protect one from breathing in various pollutants/germs/etc. in the air.

The bolded parts is exactly why I feel people are doing it for political reasons. You're vaccinated and outdoors, so why are we still wearing masks?? Makes no sense. So I think people are doing it because of politics!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:09 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
The bolded parts is exactly why I feel people are doing it for political reasons. You're vaccinated and outdoors, so why are we still wearing masks?? Makes no sense. So I think people are doing it because of politics!
I disagree because there are still many people that are unvaccinated and they have been told to continue wearing masks outside. With the more contagious Delta/Indian variant unvaccinated people are definitely more at risk and there have been breakthrough cases of this COVID19 variant in vaccinated people. (See the news about vaccinated Israelis returning from outside that country spreading the new variant and the consideration of partially restoring mask usage there.)

Old 06-23-2021, 05:37 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,164,508 times
I swear I saw few people riding bikes wearing a mask the past couple days there was no one near them jeez!

Old 06-23-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
As the Summer gets hotter, mask wearing is getting more and more onerous. I am intolerant of being overheated.
I trust my vaccination but will carry a mask with me lest I run into too many Karens.

If a store demands I wear a mask, I will choose whether to comply or take my business elsewhere.

I'm starting to feel the same way. So many stores have made it optional now, so I don't feel like shopping in those few stores that still mandate it (such as Rite Aid and Stop n Stop).

Old 06-23-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I disagree because there are still many people that are unvaccinated and they have been told to continue wearing masks outside. With the more contagious Delta/Indian variant unvaccinated people are definitely more at risk and there have been breakthrough cases of this COVID19 variant in vaccinated people. (See the news about vaccinated Israelis returning from outside that country spreading the new variant and the consideration of partially restoring mask usage there.)

I can certainly understand people wearing them in the subway or even at church where you are with a crowd of strangers for a long period of time, but outside (or even at a store) where you are just walking by people for a brief second?? That's not enough exposure to contract the virus. If that were the case, then every single essential worker would have caught Covid by now as I'm sure they were exposed to the virus at some point. With the amount of people they are exposed to in their jobs, I'd be very surprised if they haven't encountered a person that was positive for Covid.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:34 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I couldn't care less about Karens.
I got the second shot recently and after 2 weeks has past I'm not wearing a mask by choice indoors anymore. I haven't worn one outdoors in over a year. It's just ridiculous.I've had several times where some Karen goes out of there way to walk up to me when I'm walking alone without anyone within 50 feet of me to tell me I should be wearing a mask. I've told them all they're morons, and if you were that worried about it why did you go out of your way to get within 6 feet of me?

If a store requires I wear one my choice is simple- wear one or go somewhere else.I'm not going to argue, businesses have a right to have people wear one if they want. On the train/planes I'll wear one if those are the rules.

In my neighborhood it still seems 90-95 percent of people are wearing them in stores, in other neighborhoods in nyc i've been to it's far less. I'm sure I will get a few stupid comments once I am going into stores in my neighborhood without a mask.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post

In my neighborhood it still seems 90-95 percent of people are wearing them in stores, in other neighborhoods in nyc i've been to it's far less. I'm sure I will get a few stupid comments once I am going into stores in my neighborhood without a mask.

The funny thing is that in Manhattan, I see more people without masks indoors. But here in Queens, many are still wearing masks. And the ironic thing is that the positivity rate is lower in Manhattan.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:29 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
On the train. And you need to sit. Do you sit next to the maskless person or the person with a mask that keeps coughing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: