Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2021, 10:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Funny story, I went to Macy's Herald Square today for the first time in over year since the pandemic started. They still have the "masks required" sign all over the door and throughout the store. Yet I saw some shoppers with no masks on along with some employees. So it didn't seem like they were requiring it, so I decided to remove my mask and no one said anything. In fact, when I was walking through the cologne section, one employee was trying to offer me a sample of cologne and didn't care that I didn't have a mask on. So it does seem like it's ok. In fact, Macy's website even says that their stores don't require masks for vaccinated people.

So it does seem like a lot of store here in NY have that "masks required" sign but don't really enforce them. Strange why they even keep those signs up.
The past two days, I’ve been around the East Village/Lower East Side, Gramercy, Bushwick, Williamsburg, Astoria, and Forest Hills. Based on what I’ve seen this weekend, I’d say masks are done in NYC, or at least are quickly on the way out.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:07 PM

3,477 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
The past two days, I’ve been around the East Village/Lower East Side, Gramercy, Bushwick, Williamsburg, Astoria, and Forest Hills. Based on what I’ve seen this weekend, I’d say masks are done in NYC, or at least are quickly on the way out.
With over 60% of adults in NY vaccinated and the positivity rate currently only 0.5%, I'd say things looking positive and the vaccines are working tremendously. In fact, it's been over two weeks since the mask mandate has been lifted and cases have only been going down as more and more NYers take off their masks. So there's no reason to have mask mandates anymore. The vaccines work far better than these stupid mask!

Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Yeah I hang out in those neighborhoods and the bars are largely going back to pre Covid times. They might ask if you're vaccinated (which I am) but go by the honors system

Old 06-06-2021, 04:54 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
From what I have seen recently most people are wearing masks while inside public spaces. But outdoors there are fewer and fewer people wearing masks.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:31 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From what I have seen recently most people are wearing masks while inside public spaces. But outdoors there are fewer and fewer people wearing masks.
As it should be.

I don't think mask culture is going away indoors in NYC. People have noticed they aren't getting sick as often. Come this fall hoping that means flu transition is going to come down.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:36 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I saw two customers in McDonald’s today without masks and as far as I know they still require them unless their policy changed recently.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:27 AM

3,477 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
As it should be.

I don't think mask culture is going away indoors in NYC. People have noticed they aren't getting sick as often. Come this fall hoping that means flu transition is going to come down.
My dad is fully vaccinated and despite continuing to double mask and wear gloves both indoors and outdoors, he somehow recently caught a cold. With me, I’ve been going back to doing normal things and haven’t gotten sick yet.

So back to my original point, masks are useless. And even if they weren’t, I’m willing to risk getting a cold or flu. During the pre-pandemic days, I always got the cold a couple of times per year and got the flu once every few years. That’s part of “going back to normal” and something I’m willing to accept and risk. I’m not keeping my face covered for the rest of my life and keeping myself in isolation just to avoid a few days of sickness. Living like this for the past year has taken a toll on my mental health.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:41 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Men. do not. wash their hands. Not even a courtesy pass under the running water. It's gross.

I think I'm going to wear a mask from now on when I have a cold or similar. I already won't shake people's hands or get too close when I'm sick, and no one thinks that's weird. It seems like a good custom to adopt from the East Asian countries.
This X100.

Can't even a few seconds to be a less disgusting person.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:53 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I walked down from Harlem to union square running my errands along the way today. I'd agree. Every business I went into people were mostly wearing masks and outside the majority had them off. Only time I kept my mask on outside is when I was going from a business to another a block or so away.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:35 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
My dad is fully vaccinated and despite continuing to double mask and wear gloves both indoors and outdoors, he somehow recently caught a cold. With me, I’ve been going back to doing normal things and haven’t gotten sick yet.

So back to my original point, masks are useless. And even if they weren’t, I’m willing to risk getting a cold or flu. During the pre-pandemic days, I always got the cold a couple of times per year and got the flu once every few years. That’s part of “going back to normal” and something I’m willing to accept and risk. I’m not keeping my face covered for the rest of my life and keeping myself in isolation just to avoid a few days of sickness. Living like this for the past year has taken a toll on my mental health.

I agree, I dont think they did squat foe us.

hoe disturbing was to see my great niece at 4 years old wearing a mask, i thought how sad is this.

like this is going to be some sort of normalcy, lets make our mask coordinate with our outfit.

OMG, no.

The masks are useless, especially here in our office, we wear them when we are away from our deskd, the same one, up and down, just for show until mgmnt says no more.

outside, nope not wearing one.

thats a done deal.'

i get he flu shot yearly anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: