Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 10:22 AM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Extremes dont have to be the only option. There is a saying, 'god help those who help themselves'. I am a millenial immigrant minority woman. I am getting it done. Many that i know are getting it done. I dont see you offering assistance or housing. We are telling the op what he needs to do to survive and not end up homeless.

There are many boomers and others hustlinh to work to take care of their responsibilities to themselves and others.

We are just pointing out the options availble.
I mean state the obvious

Its always easy to tell somebody to walk barefoot when you're wearing shoes

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 11:45 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
"Homelessness isn't the consequence of those occurrences unless your life is not in order when you're not sick, depressed, or experiencing bad luck."

You have no idea how much your life has been supported through rough times by your being a white man, but I know you also don't want to know. I (and my siblings) are a classic bootstrap story--we were one of these families that dipped in and out of poverty, and now we're all well-paid professionals--but we ALL know how we had certain advantages along the way that we didn't earn.

A lot of people just get less of a margin in life for problems or mistakes. Doesn't mean they should pay for it by having to sleep on the streets.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:51 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
And be happy with that $7.50 an hour and prepared to work 3 jobs with 3 hours of sleep a night and no medical coverage through all of them while sharing a room in someone else's apartment.

You got this!

The American dream bro!!!

Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
A lot of people just get less of a margin in life for problems or mistakes. Doesn't mean they should pay for it by having to sleep on the streets.
Life isn't fair - Suck it up, pull up your suspenders, tighten your belt and put a big smile on your face.

Closed mouths don't get fed!!!

Buckle down, Buckle up, sit back and stand by!!!

Old 08-05-2021, 12:25 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
And be happy with that $7.50 an hour and prepared to work 3 jobs with 3 hours of sleep a night and no medical coverage through all of them while sharing a room in someone else's apartment.

You got this!

Right!!

I feel it for the OP though. Not everyone has family they can depend on; let's be real, pretty sure even if not on this forum, some have had to depend on someone to make it even if for a little while. I know I've had to and so grateful.

To the OP: I hate to recommend this as a possible solution but maybe a temp agency would help? I've decided that if all else fails with my job search that this is what I'll do. I hear that they're helpful and some constantly have a stream of jobs waiting for you. Some of these jobs turn into permanent jobs.

OP: Some on here have recommended one-time cash assistance or something similar. I'm assuming you have tried to get section 8, food stamps, etc. It's not easy to navigate much less qualify. I do understand your frustration.

If push should come to shove, I'm not sure if couch surfing would be an option for you. I hate to even mention this but you're right...people do fall through the cracks.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
â€You need to be hungry, motivated and ambitious to make it here.â€

No one is at 100% all the time. People get sick, get depressed, just have bad luck. Homelessness shouldn't be the consequence.
This! What a complete lack of empathy I mostly see on this thread. I mean some are helpful but at the same time they are saying things that are pretty insensitive. We don't know where this person is at mentally. Please consider this when you write mean a** comments (not directed at you randomperson2).

Old 08-05-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Love all the Boomer logic on here, go work until you're dead or find a way to exploit others so that you can live, either way everything will be ok
It's so irritating that they are living for so long and are STILL running the country.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:34 PM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
This! What a complete lack of empathy I mostly see on this thread. I mean some are helpful but at the same time they are saying things that are pretty insensitive. We don't know where this person is at mentally. Please consider this when you write mean a** comments (not directed at you randomperson2).
Ppl come on here to blow off their own steam at the expense of others

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-05-2021, 12:35 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
The poster could have a disability that is preventing them from working at all. Let’s be kind instead of judging them.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:50 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
You have no idea how much your life has been supported through rough times by your being a white man, but I know you also don't want to know.
Lol

Signed, someone who had to enter the Army at 19 to make a life for himself.

Stuff it.

By 1998 when I joined the Army, it had been 50 years since racial discrimination in the service. I stood shoulder to shoulder at MEPS with every race imaginable hoping for the same kickstart to our lives.

What we each did with that chance was up to us. Not some boogeyman racial nonsense.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City