Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 07:31 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No, you try it!
No thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
This is a NYC forum, and there are no Walmarts in NYC, so that's a non-issue. NYC has a $15 minimum wage. So if the OP can get a full time job, or a couple of part time jobs to total 40 hours/week, that's $30K/year. Now that's not really great in NYC, but it probably lets your rent a room somewhere in the city and let's you eat. That gets him off the ground, and he can start moving up from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Walmart pays what? Likely not enough for the OP to afford his rent...

Old 08-05-2021, 07:40 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is a NYC forum, and there are no Walmarts in NYC, so that's a non-issue. NYC has a $15 minimum wage. So if the OP can get a full time job, or a couple of part time jobs to total 40 hours/week, that's $30K/year. Now that's not really great in NYC, but it probably lets your rent a room somewhere in the city and let's you eat. That gets him off the ground, and he can start moving up from there.
Yeah, but I believe there are some just over the border in Long Island. I have never been to any here. In fact, I haven't been in a Walmart since I was in college, so it's been a while to say the least. lol My question is though, with rents being so high, would that even be enough to rent a room? I don't know what that yields in take-home pay a month.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:26 AM

608 posts, read 239,068 times
I got a job, savings, apartment (that I don't have to share with non-family)... and I'll still say it is appalingly easy to become homeless.

There are those rent-a-room agencies on Grand Concourse. I had to do it for 3 months. Not good prices, not good co-residents, not good neighborhoods but, it beats sleeping on a subway station floor, or worse a men's homeless shelter. Need some pays stubs to apply there.

I avoided true homelessness in my youth by joining the Army. I was clean, fit, did well on the ASVAB and, the Army represented a generally much safer life than being homeless. From there I saved. I consider myself very lucky I was fit for military service.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:06 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I avoided true homelessness in my youth by joining the Army. I was clean, fit, did well on the ASVAB and, the Army represented a generally much safer life than being homeless. From there I saved. I consider myself very lucky I was fit for military service.
I was thinking of joining the army as a youth but it was expressly forbidden by my parents because the military has historically treated Blacks like trash after honorable discharge.

Aside from that the problem remains Americans are at extremely poor health and most will fail the ASVAB. So we're going to have a lot of homeless young Men rioting in the streets soon with this eviction crisis. Not enough space in jail for all of them.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:50 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I got a job, savings, apartment (that I don't have to share with non-family)... and I'll still say it is appalingly easy to become homeless.

There are those rent-a-room agencies on Grand Concourse. I had to do it for 3 months. Not good prices, not good co-residents, not good neighborhoods but, it beats sleeping on a subway station floor, or worse a men's homeless shelter. Need some pays stubs to apply there.

See what happens when you aren't indoctrinated from birth that race determines everything in life?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-06-2021, 08:00 AM

The ASVAB and PT exams ain't that hard to get a minimum score. If much of American society can't do that, that's a problem with civilian society not the military.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
See what happens when you aren't indoctrinated from birth that race determines everything in life?
Um yes true... but, I'm White.

Either way, all the Black guys I know that joined the Army, whether they stayed in or ETSd after 1 contract, all doing better than I am, and rightly so.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:25 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
As someone who was homeless, (Twice.) in my youth - neither was by choice nor my fault, when circumstances exist which makes an area unsuitable for a residence its best to pack your bags and head for greener pastures. I relocated while I was in my mid thirties, moving 600 miles away from everyone I knew. Two years later and still a bachelor, I bought my first house. Flipped the next three before flipping houses was a thing. Moving was the best decision I ever made.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:35 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I was thinking of joining the army as a youth but it was expressly forbidden by my parents because the military has historically treated Blacks like trash after honorable discharge.

Aside from that the problem remains Americans are at extremely poor health and most will fail the ASVAB. So we're going to have a lot of homeless young Men rioting in the streets soon with this eviction crisis. Not enough space in jail for all of them.
Merchant marine academy is a viable option. If I could do it all over again then I would have joined them. Non-military, government subsidized trade school with a guaranteed job on graduation.

USMMA is intended to produce Merchant Marine Officers. The school itself doesn't train people to become a professional military officer. While you're required to join the Naval Reserves as a condition of being a student, it's a separate arm of the Reserves intended for crewing the merchant fleet in a time of war, not fighting in the Active fleet. Even the coursework you take as a Midshipman at USMMA will be different from the Naval Academy and NROTC kids, since they're training to become Unrestricted Line Officers (SWO, Sub, NA/NFO, or SEALs) and you're training to operate cargo ships. There is very much a reputation that they take the "leftovers" of the folks applying to USNA/USMA/USAFA. While there's plenty of interest, the service academy application process is long and full of bull****.

Anyway, OP can deliver food for uber/doordash to make some cash in the meantime even though that's hyper- competitive or work in the restaurant food industry which as others said is heavily hiring now. Plenty of new immigrants work there and while the conditions aren't great at least there will or should be free/heavily subsidized meals (if there isn't then consider walking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City