Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 06:50 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
My black neighbor is an Engineer. He joined the army out of high school.
With his GI bill he went back to school when he returned.

He also sent his black son to school with money from his GI bill. This black son is now a pilot with a major airline. My black neighbor and his wife flies first class where ever they go

My black neighbor also used his VA loan to purchase a NO MONEY DOWN house which is almost paid for and is worth at minimum $800K..

All from joining the army.

Stop being so negative....Stope making excuses.....you are holding yourself back!!

p.s. My other black neighbor is a dentist. He too joined the army. You get the drift.
Good for them, this is not the average experience however.

My Aunts husband is still fighting to get care he is owed from the VA. If his daughter wasn't a nurse he'd be long dead already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 07:12 PM

608 posts, read 239,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

My Aunts husband is still fighting to get care he is owed from the VA. If his daughter wasn't a nurse he'd be long dead already.
A mixed bag.

GI Bill college money? 100% good, accurate, fast (as fast as government moves anyway)

VA health care? So awful that calling it garbage would be an insult to used cans and bottles.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:47 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
A mixed bag.

GI Bill college money? 100% good, accurate, fast (as fast as government moves anyway)

VA health care? So awful that calling it garbage would be an insult to used cans and bottles.
I shouldnt laught. But insult to cans and bottles is funny.

VA care maybe garbage.

However after military i get an extra 10 points when you apply fot govt jobs.

City, state and federa jobs have good insurance

Old 08-08-2021, 01:19 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
$7.50? companies are desperate now. anyone who wants a job will make double that with no skills.

when the gov't gravy train ends there are going to be a lot of lazy idiots who wish they got a job when they were easy to get.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:36 AM

5,687 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:

Didn't trump make it so they could get medical care anywhere?

Old 08-08-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Didn't trump make it so they could get medical care anywhere?
He said Veterans are stupid for serving this country... Whatever Bill he signed had zero impact and my Aunts husband still has to be driven to Maryland every 3-6 months for quality treatment, because apparently the VA up here is no longer functional.

Trump punked out and ran away from the Call of Duty. My grandfather fought communism in North Korea more than Trump ever did having smoothies and cupcakes with Kim Jong Un.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
A mixed bag.

I know many who were in ROTC while I was in college. They didn't have to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan when we graduated but despite having a full ride only a few are doing better than me even without student loans.

Their college experience was very regimented and unfortunately it's not a good fit for Corporate America. I could do a whole thread on this but essentially Corporate America doesn't walk the walk in hiring Veterans. In fact they actively discriminate against them because they don't want honest people with integrity.

That's why many Veterans are homeless and destitute. People March in parades, go to memorials, but when it comes time to give benefits, work, affordable housing etc, no no no....

I think the only thing that went off without a problem was both my grandfathers were automatically accepted into the Veterans cemetery along with my grandmothers. So at least they have been given the respect they deserve in death? The problem is though for these homeless Veterans with psychological problems I have heard if they cannot determine their service details easily their body gets basically thrown into a no name lot until a relative comes to claim. No effort is made. Because nobody cares...

Old 08-08-2021, 09:42 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Their college experience was very regimented and unfortunately it's not a good fit for Corporate America. I could do a whole thread on this but essentially Corporate America doesn't walk the walk in hiring Veterans. In fact they actively discriminate against them because they don't want honest people with integrity.
I've "like" your previous post so I couldn't "like" this one.

I don't have any facts to back this up. However, corporate America has become so woke, it easy to see how this could be true.

Corporate America wants college educated people who learned the propaganda taught by liberal professors. They don't want the type of person who loves their country and would fight for it.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:42 AM

6,462 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
$7.50? companies are desperate now. anyone who wants a job will make double that with no skills.

When the gov't gravy train ends there are going to be a lot of lazy idiots who wish they got a job when they were easy to get.
You got THAT right!!

I was in my area's Wegmans super market, this morning, and got talking to one of the assistant managers. We were talking about the increasing number of empty shelves....again. She told me the reason is that the company can't get people to work in the warehouse, specifically those who load the outgoing trucks.

I've been retired for a number of years, but it got me thinking....if Wegman's warehouse was located closer to my home, I'd consider going back to work, for a few months. $15/hr. isn't all that bad, as a supplement to my SS.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:32 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
You got THAT right!!

I was in my area's Wegmans super market, this morning, and got talking to one of the assistant managers. We were talking about the increasing number of empty shelves....again. She told me the reason is that the company can't get people to work in the warehouse, specifically those who load the outgoing trucks.

I've been retired for a number of years, but it got me thinking....if Wegman's warehouse was located closer to my home, I'd consider going back to work, for a few months. $15/hr. isn't all that bad, as a supplement to my SS.

I was showing an apartment and one of the prospective occupants was unemployed. He worked as driver at Fedex. He said he is going to ride out the unemployment until the pandmic is done because he didnt feel like working.

I dont rent to voluntarily unemployed people with no alternate plans. That can easily go south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City