Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 03:00 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The sooner people realize the world is not looking out for them, the sooner they can create their own success.
So nobody "loses", everybody "wins"

In a perfect Utopia this would not even be a thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 03:10 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
We'll never reach a point where everyone born into this world ends up with the tools necessary to navigate it effectively.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-11-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
We'll never reach a point where everyone born into this world ends up with the tools necessary to navigate it effectively.
Right so don't worry about people finding their own success, if renting's a failure in your opinion, then there will be people that do that regardless

Old 08-11-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Right so don't worry about people finding their own success, if renting's a failure in your opinion, then there will be people that do that regardless
I didn't say renting was a failure. I questioned your implication that there's no difference between being a tenant and owning a home just because of real estate taxes.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-11-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't say renting was a failure. I questioned your implication that there's no difference between being a tenant and owning a home just because of real estate taxes.
Either way you don't pay you'll get kicked out

This phenomenon of looking at your house as an investment only started around 2008 when houses were easy to get and ppl were promoting buying 2 family houses, houses are supposed to be homes not investments.

If you ever sell your home and make a profit consider yourself lucky. It's just like the stock market and it can crash any time if you look at it like that. To me, seeing your house as an investment is like gambling wit house money, pun intended.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:40 PM

Well I'm sure you know that only applies if you sell when housing is down. Overall, middle class wealth (yes I know, you don't believe in that) is significantly impacted by real estate.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:10 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Either way you don't pay you'll get kicked out

This phenomenon of looking at your house as an investment only started around 2008 when houses were easy to get and ppl were promoting buying 2 family houses, houses are supposed to be homes not investments.

If you ever sell your home and make a profit consider yourself lucky. It's just like the stock market and it can crash any time if you look at it like that. To me, seeing your house as an investment is like gambling wit house money, pun intended.

I see you dont have real estate investors in your network. I was speaking to one last week who made over $2 million during the pandemic flipping houses.

More than 80% USA millionaires made their wealth from real estate.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 PM

608 posts, read 239,779 times
I think the biggest pitfall that causes homeless, in NYC, is how damn near impossible it is to pass a rental application.

In absolutely NO other place, have I been denied a year-lease when I offer to pay the year up front and prove thay I can do so. (One can blame very tough eviction regulations for landlords being hesitant but, the original fact still stands)

The income requirements are so ridiculous that even most junior firemen and cops would have thsir rental applications thrown out automatically by some stupid sorting algorithm. A lot of people who are grandfathered in pay really high percentages, but they maintain discipline and do it. Application processors and algorithms don't care.

My mom, and I have both been homeless (t different times across the decades) sometimes for 2 or 3 months ---WHEN WE HAD THE MONEY TO PAY--- this needs to be fixed.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I think the biggest pitfall that causes homeless, in NYC, is how damn near impossible it is to pass a rental application.

In absolutely NO other place, have I been denied a year-lease when I offer to pay the year up front and prove thay I can do so. (One can blame very tough eviction regulations for landlords being hesitant but, the original fact still stands)

The income requirements are so ridiculous that even most junior firemen and cops would have thsir rental applications thrown out automatically by some stupid sorting algorithm. A lot of people who are grandfathered in pay really high percentages, but they maintain discipline and do it. Application processors and algorithms don't care.

My mom, and I have both been homeless (t different times across the decades) sometimes for 2 or 3 months ---WHEN WE HAD THE MONEY TO PAY--- this needs to be fixed.

Landlord spends tens of thousand to hundreds of thousands to acquire and maintain a property. Tenants are ruthless and will stop paying to be spiteful and damage your property.

I require good payment history, good rental history and 3 times income to protect my investment that i worked hard for.

NYC made it so easy to scam landlords who are often small labdlords who worked hard to acquire their property that many landlords tightened up their requirements some even took their property off the market.

Blame the politicians, housing court and deadbeat tenants who thought they were getting over who now find it extremely difficult to rent.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I see you dont have real estate investors in your network. I was speaking to one last week who made over $2 million during the pandemic flipping houses.

More than 80% USA millionaires made their wealth from real estate.
Did the investor flip their own house? I never said that one couldn't make money off of real estate, your response has nothing to do with what I said in regards to viewing your own house as an investment.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City