Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 02:31 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Ok... I wanna steer back on topic, with some hopefully worthwhile intel.

I just called the Trader Joe's on Court St. in Brooklyn.

They start at 17.50/hr. Raises are every 6 months at .55 to .80 depending on performance. They only really want people 4pm to 12pm with 2 of the 5 days definitely being weekends...

...but they do want people, quick!

Maybe we should start a master thread with jobs in NYC like the housing threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 05:50 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Ok... I wanna steer back on topic, with some hopefully worthwhile intel.

I just called the Trader Joe's on Court St. in Brooklyn.

They start at 17.50/hr. Raises are every 6 months at .55 to .80 depending on performance. They only really want people 4pm to 12pm with 2 of the 5 days definitely being weekends...

...but they do want people, quick!
So that's about $2,000 a month after taxes

Guess that job is only for HS kids or retirees

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-11-2021, 06:46 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

But that raises the eternal question....would you consider "stocking shelves at Whole Foods", or "flipping burgers at Mickey D's" a job with CAREER potential, therefore something that should not only pay $25-30/hr; but also with a pension plan, medical benefits, and paid vacation??

I don't know what kind of world we now live in, or where it's headed, where people (not necessarily yourself) seem to think that every job, no matter basic, must have long-term, career oriented potential. When I was a teen ager, 50+ years ago, stocking shelves or flipping burgers was an after school for teen-agers, or "pocket money for retirees" kind of job. But thanks to the politicians, driven by the "tree huggers", the good paying, solid middle class, manufacturing jobs, were all sent off to China and Mexico, with the wages they generated now being earned somewhere else.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:50 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Quote:

I see a lot of actors and musicians working at Trader Joe's. They do it for the flexibility and the benefits.
It's rare to find a retail employer in NYC offering that combo.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
But that raises the eternal question....would you consider "stocking shelves at Whole Foods", or "flipping burgers at Mickey D's" a job with CAREER potential, therefore something that should not only pay $25-30/hr; but also with a pension plan, medical benefits, and paid vacation??

I don't know what kind of world we now live in, or where it's headed, where people (not necessarily yourself) seem to think that every job, no matter basic, must have long-term, career oriented potential. When I was a teen ager, 50+ years ago, stocking shelves or flipping burgers was an after school for teen-agers, or "pocket money for retirees" kind of job. But thanks to the politicians, driven by the "tree huggers", the good paying, solid middle class, manufacturing jobs, were all sent off to China and Mexico, with the wages they generated now being earned somewhere else.
All I know is that an adult cannot sustain themselves on $2,000 a month in NYC unless they are living in subsidized housing, and getting into subsidized housing can take months if not years. Hence why I said the job is only for HS kids or retirees. If NYC still allowed SROs maybe its possible for adult to take this job and rent a room until their able to increase their income.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I see a lot of actors and musicians working at Trader Joe's. They do it for the flexibility and the benefits.
It's rare to find a retail employer in NYC offering that combo.
So essentially they're working 2 jobs

Old 08-11-2021, 07:39 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Quote:
So essentially they're working 2 jobs
Eh. Not really. Most actors and musicians tend to be perpetual dreamers. Most also cannot hold a steady job down. And the industry is notoriously finicky about casting or breakout success. So they spend weeks if not months between gigs paying subpar rates. Of course if they succeed then the money and fame come.

By virtue of their industry they have to be the "tortured artist" to become inspired in their work. Many succumb to a lifetime of drug and alcohol addiction. Very few make it to the big leagues.

NYC has its share of this home grown crop but there are equally many if not more who are transplants with stars in their eyes.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Eh. Not really. Most actors and musicians tend to be perpetual dreamers. Most also cannot hold a steady job down. And the industry is notoriously finicky about casting or breakout success. So they spend weeks if not months between gigs paying subpar rates. Of course if they succeed then the money and fame come.

By virtue of their industry they have to be the "tortured artist" to become inspired in their work. Many succumb to a lifetime of drug and alcohol addiction. Very few make it to the big leagues.

NYC has its share of this home grown crop but there are equally many if not more who are transplants with stars in their eyes.
Meh

Maybe on a monetary value you see it that way but I value my time more than money. So if you're working at Traders Joes plus working gigs, to me that's 2 jobs from a temporal standpoint.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:46 AM

So can anybody tell me how can an adult survive on their own in NYC for $2,000 a month? Can it be easily done?

Old 08-11-2021, 09:45 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
So can anybody tell me how can an adult survive on their own in NYC for $2,000 a month? Can it be easily done?

I think most understand that certain jobs are not structured for self sufficiency. They are meant as part time gigs, in between work gigs. However, one can always start out in the lower levels in these jobs and try to find something more sustainable/better paying within the company.

A supermarket employee in Switzerland earns about $30K to $37K a year. Food and everything else is also notoriously expensive to go with the high prices and higher salaries.

I have spoken to low wage employees (hotel front desk clerks, taxi drivers, restaurant employees etc) when I visit. They love the high standard of living. But even for a country notorious for its high wages, the low wages employees ALL stated that they did not live in city centers. Many lived in some form of affordable housing, with roommates or family members.

Mass transit is insanely efficient there though so it is easier to commute to work.

Maybe instead of increasing salaries to unsustainable levels, we could improve mass transit so that workers can commute from affordable locations.

Mass transit in the USA even in NYC is not the most efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City