Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 09:37 AM

307 posts, read 637,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is a NYC forum, and there are no Walmarts in NYC, so that's a non-issue. NYC has a $15 minimum wage. So if the OP can get a full time job, or a couple of part time jobs to total 40 hours/week, that's $30K/year. Now that's not really great in NYC, but it probably lets your rent a room somewhere in the city and let's you eat. That gets him off the ground, and he can start moving up from there.
And this is how you know half the nonsense posted on this forum comes from people who live nowhere near NYC, and know nothing about NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 09:54 AM

3,350 posts, read 1,239,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I was thinking of joining the army as a youth but it was expressly forbidden by my parents because the military has historically treated Blacks like trash after honorable discharge.

Aside from that the problem remains Americans are at extremely poor health and most will fail the ASVAB. So we're going to have a lot of homeless young Men rioting in the streets soon with this eviction crisis. Not enough space in jail for all of them.
they historically treat everyone like trash after discharge. it's a disgrace.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:56 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
And be happy with that $7.50 an hour and prepared to work 3 jobs with 3 hours of sleep a night and no medical coverage through all of them while sharing a room in someone else's apartment.

You got this!

If you're hungry enough, and MOTIVATED enough, that's what you'll do. MANY of us came up doing exactly that!!

Old 08-06-2021, 08:49 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph1914 View Post
I’ve called and emailed several different agencies and offices today. So called managers gave me answers but after calling a tenant hotline it seems that the manager was wrong.

Don’t want to give too much detail on a post but the laws and overall policies of this city are so out of wack. There are funds and programs which are supposed to help people avoid homelessness but there are clear blind sports with them.

I’m trying not to give up but it’s exasperating. It’s like nobody cares. Innocent people suffer while those who do wrong run around enjoying life.

Gonna try and contact the Legal Aid Society or some other group to consider my options. If anyone else on this forum is experiencing anything similar I hope things get better for you.

I thought your post was going to be about the way that catastrophe strikes and people's lives unravel, but instead it's sort of about entitlement, that help isn't easy enough or fast enough to suit you.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is a NYC forum, and there are no Walmarts in NYC, so that's a non-issue. NYC has a $15 minimum wage. So if the OP can get a full time job, or a couple of part time jobs to total 40 hours/week, that's $30K/year. Now that's not really great in NYC, but it probably lets your rent a room somewhere in the city and let's you eat. That gets him off the ground, and he can start moving up from there.
There is a walmart in Greenacres mall in valley stream. There are tons of buses that go from Jamaica Avenue directly to that walmart .

I lived in Brooklyn and commuted by TRAIN and Metro North to get to my job in Westchester as that was the only job I could find at the time and I had no car (or money to buy one)

People will always find excuses

Old 08-06-2021, 11:48 PM

608 posts, read 239,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There is a walmart in Greenacres mall in valley stream. There are tons of buses that go from Jamaica Avenue directly to that walmart .

I lived in Brooklyn and commuted by TRAIN and Metro North to get to my job in Westchester as that was the only job I could find at the time and I had no car (or money to buy one)

People will always find excuses
I don't wanna say "excuses" but, yea, I mean... well in NYC there is always ...some... job that needs doing. Strangely enough, being homeless in NYC is ...slightly... more escapable than almost anywhere else, where poverty is in many case a literal criminal offense. In NYC, there is almost always a program and a job... IF you are willing to put up with Workforce 1 and living in one room of a tenement 3 bedroom apartment in Morris Ave in the Bronx, or some East New York s--thole ...but it beats a men's shelter or, in smaller towns, a jail, by a long shot! EDIT: Also, in smaller cities the total number of jobs might be full. It is possible to check every single one and be told "No".

If the military will have you, join. You don't have to pay rent or electricity in a barracks. It remains the best financial move I have ever made.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I was thinking of joining the army as a youth but it was expressly forbidden by my parents because the military has historically treated Blacks like trash after honorable discharge.

Aside from that the problem remains Americans are at extremely poor health and most will fail the ASVAB. So we're going to have a lot of homeless young Men rioting in the streets soon with this eviction crisis. Not enough space in jail for all of them.

My black neighbor is an Engineer. He joined the army out of high school.
With his GI bill he went back to school when he returned.

He also sent his black son to school with money from his GI bill. This black son is now a pilot with a major airline. My black neighbor and his wife flies first class where ever they go

My black neighbor also used his VA loan to purchase a NO MONEY DOWN house which is almost paid for and is worth at minimum $800K..

All from joining the army.

Stop being so negative....Stope making excuses.....you are holding yourself back!!

p.s. My other black neighbor is a dentist. He too joined the army. You get the drift.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 08-07-2021 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-07-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
$100 a month on food? I don't know how that works...
Groceries for a single person Budget $100 ( this is about $119…. However some of the items will not be bought every month so it averages out

2 lbs of Salmon …… ……...$16 (enough for 6 meals/serving)

10 lbs of chicken (breast legs thighs etc)……..$20
Or
5 lbs chicken and 1 lb shrimp

10 Lbs bag of rice…………..... $8

2 dozen eggs ((24 eggs) -------------$2 to $3
1lb Deli turkey or prosciutto …………….$8 to $12
4 loaves of bread ------------------------$12

1 gallon of milk……..…$3
1 tub of butter…………$5

Canned goods:

4 cans of coconut milk ………………. $4
3 cans of chickpeas…………………... $4
4 cans of pigeon peas/red beans/black beans …………. $4

5 lbs bag of potatoes...or Yams ………….. ( I love baked potatoes and potatoes salad) ……..$4

1 Jar of mayonnaise…………………...
2 lbs of broccoli --------------------$4 (Keep them frozen)
2 lbs of strawberries ……………….$6...Whenever they are on sale I stock up and put them in my freezer for quick cheap smoothies
2 dozen bananas………….$4
Onions, garlics, $5
42 OZ of Old fashioned oats.

Examples of dishes I would make on $100 a month grocery budget:

Honey garlic salmon
Garlic Butter Baked Salmon
Smoked Salmon

Chicken dishes are endless!!!!

Jerked Chicken
Baked Chicken
Stewed Chicken
Curried Chicken
Thai Curry Chicken

Shrimp dishes are endless. Google is your friend.

Side Dishes:
Saffron Rice, RIce and Peas, Plain white rice.
Baked potatoes. Baked sweet potatoes.
Potatoes salads

Steamed or sauteed broccoli.
Garlic and butter sauteed green beans
curried chickpeas

Funny enough my habits haven't changed. I ALWAYS eat breakfast at home. I may buy lunch 5 times for the month AT MOST!.

My grocery list hasn't changed much now, except I buy organic. So My grocery cost is up 30 to 40% at most.

I alternate vegetables. But the price is largely consistent

I also bought a cherry and a peach tree for less than $40 for both. So I have cherry and peaches for free every year all season long.

I shop at ALDIs and local grocery stores. The quality is good and the prices are cheap.

Sometimes I go to Trader Joes for a few things. I don't find such a huge difference in prices. Never Whole Foods.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
they historically treat everyone like trash after discharge. it's a disgrace.
Join the airforce or marines. I know so many middle class and upper middle class people who have great jobs and great education as a result of joining the armed forces. It may not be the route for everyone. My life worked out fine. But I can tell you if I had the resources that someone who joined the army did I would be light years ahead of where I am now.

I say that as a black female.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:56 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Groceries for a single person Budget $100 ( this is about $119…. However some of the items will not be bought every month so it averages out

2 lbs of Salmon …… ……...$16 (enough for 6 meals/serving)

10 lbs of chicken (breast legs thighs etc)……..$20
Or
5 lbs chicken and 1 lb shrimp

10 Lbs bag of rice…………..... $8

2 dozen eggs ((24 eggs) -------------$2 to $3
1lb Deli turkey or prosciutto …………….$8 to $12
4 loaves of bread ------------------------$12

1 gallon of milk……..…$3
1 tub of butter…………$5

Canned goods:

4 cans of coconut milk ………………. $4
3 cans of chickpeas…………………... $4
4 cans of pigeon peas/red beans/black beans …………. $4

5 lbs bag of potatoes...or Yams ………….. ( I love baked potatoes and potatoes salad) ……..$4

1 Jar of mayonnaise…………………...
2 lbs of broccoli --------------------$4 (Keep them frozen)
2 lbs of strawberries ……………….$6...Whenever they are on sale I stock up and put them in my freezer for quick cheap smoothies
2 dozen bananas………….$4
Onions, garlics, $5
42 OZ of Old fashioned oats.

Examples of dishes I would make on $100 a month grocery budget:

Honey garlic salmon
Garlic Butter Baked Salmon
Smoked Salmon

Chicken dishes are endless!!!!

Jerked Chicken
Baked Chicken
Stewed Chicken
Curried Chicken
Thai Curry Chicken

Shrimp dishes are endless. Google is your friend.

Side Dishes:
Saffron Rice, RIce and Peas, Plain white rice.
Baked potatoes. Baked sweet potatoes.
Potatoes salads

Steamed or sauteed broccoli.
Garlic and butter sauteed green beans
curried chickpeas

Funny enough my habits haven't changed. I ALWAYS eat breakfast at home. I may buy lunch 5 times for the month AT MOST!.

My grocery list hasn't changed much now, except I buy organic. So My grocery cost is up 30 to 40% at most.

I alternate vegetables. But the price is largely consistent

I also bought a cherry and a peach tree for less than $40 for both. So I have cherry and peaches for free every year all season long.

I shop at ALDIs and local grocery stores. The quality is good and the prices are cheap.

Sometimes I go to Trader Joes for a few things. I don't find such a huge difference in prices. Never Whole Foods.
On $100 a month, I don't even know how you could buy lunch once! I buy organic and local when possible, so there is no way I am spending $100 a month for everything (some shopping at Whole Foods, some staples that are cheaper at Vitacost, and then some local places for the rest of my list (shop around for decent prices for what I like, but also enjoy the Farmers' market here and there)). I spend more than that a month on coffee at my specialty coffee shops. I don't like Trader Joe's, so I can't see myself shopping at Aldi. My ex girlfriend liked shopping there when she wanted a break from WF and I just never got into it. Always questioned the quality, as some things were just weird tasting.

I do keep tabs on what I spend for food. My budget is $600 a month, but that is for buying food and eating out, so for actual supermarket food, I would say it's somewhere around $400-500 a month, and $600 is flexible, so with eating out and take-out, more like $800 some months and some months less. My rule of thumb is I don't cook on Friday or Saturday and one other day, so cooking is maybe four days a week, preferably lots of roasting or things I can throw together quickly where I don't have to slave too much. Cooking is nice, but it's a lot of work and then the cleanup. If it's really hot out, that's when I'm ordering out. Restaurants I do a few times a month, and then just try different places. If you're in NYC and have to cook at home all the time, you're missing out on our great food scene, so I am always looking for new places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City