Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 06:14 AM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Yes, that is true. But today, it's has become more of the question being do you want to return to work, and earn an honest living, or are you going to latch on to unemployment until the well runs dry?? The government has made unemployment payments more attractive than working.
That's pretty bad if people would rather stay home and collect temporary UE and potentially miss a few weeks of income when it ends, rather than go back to work

It's fun to generalize, but that just amounts to a half-hearted attempt to have perspective of everyone's situation

Maybe some are planning to just save up their money and leave when its all said and done

On the other hand, maybe some people are legitimately making foolish decisions

Moral of the story is one size does not fit all

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 06:23 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
One of my idiot friends (chef by trade) turned down a bunch of jobs throughout this ordeal so he could keep collecting. He regrets it now as his union hotel job hasn't called him back yet and the job offers have dried up. He was offered head chef jobs at 2 different restaurants by another friend, both paying a little above what all the government benefits came out to. He turned them down because he saw no reason to return to work.

Dude has no foresight. We all tried to tell him. That's really the issue. Some people cannot delay satisfaction even for a minute. Its the most powerful force available when attaining success: the ability to delay satisfaction.

That, and compounding interest.

Another thing people tend to forget is that should the old job not return, prospective new employers are not going to be excited when they see that obvious 18 month gap in employment. That's why I went straight to work after retirement. In fact, before I was even officially retired. My resume only has one 6 month gap going back to 16 years old.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-10-2021, 09:39 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
...... That's why I went straight to work after retirement. In fact, before I was even officially retired. My resume only has one 6 month gap going back to 16 years old.
Why would you do that? Sounds like you didn't actually retire, unless you retired under a similar situation to what I did. After me working there for 33+ years, my employer had sold the business unit off to another corporation, who had promised 3 years of "stability", to those of us who became employees of the new business. However, after the 3 year period was coming to a close, and me approaching 37 years of service, changes were announced, and they would not have been beneficial to we older, long term employees, so several of us chose to retire, while we still had a known benefits package. However, we were all still in our mid-50s, so SS was still a long way off, and most of us picked up a part-time gig, for a few years, for some "pocket money"......

Old 08-10-2021, 10:38 AM

Too young to stop working. I'm only 42!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-10-2021, 10:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Too young to stop working. I'm only 42!
You post like a disgruntled grandpa who yells get of my lawn!! lol. I am happy for you.

I am retiring at 50. I am undecided if i want to continue working. We both have pensions and are retiring at the same time.. plus real estate. I will see what kind of volunteering activities i can get into so that I dont have to be on such a strict schedule .

You are absolutely correct about people not wanting to delay instant gratification for later good..

That is the main reason why so many people are in a bind .

I have tenants who drive luxury cars. Wear luxury brands and complain they cant afford a house when i encourage them to save their money to purchase their own property.

And the income is not the issue. Just too much consumer debt, living my best life vacations etc. But they pay on time. So i guess i need to mind my business.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:11 AM

I'm actually a very happy person, I swear! Lol

Your mileage may vary, but I HAVE to work in some capacity. What I do now is extremely flexible. Like I'm hanging out in the library with my step-daughter as we speak. Can't beat that for flexible on a work day. Tomorrow I'll work all day, play D&D in the evening, maybe work Thursday and we're riding the jetski all day Friday. When the kids are older, I'd like to work full time again from 50-60 and be fully retired at 60.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:04 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh

Keep in mind after all that this is unemployment benefits you're talking about

It's not like ppl can quit their jobs and stay home and collect unemployment

Had they not been let go they still would be working for the same paltry wage

Why go back to work for less money, I actually get it

And if jobs are so plentiful, ppl will simply go back to work when the benefits run out

They shouldn't be out of cash long if the jobs are so easy to come by
Logic?

"How Dare you"

Old 08-10-2021, 07:47 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
HE doesn't even have to do all that. Walmart is so desperate for employees that they are offering 100% tuition assistance.

Some Mcdonalds are offering sign on bonus. $500 and Also Wendys are offering sign up bonuses. There are literally tons of jobs available right now.

Airlines have had to cancel flights because they have no staffing

There is a reason hungry immigrants come to NYC from war torn, fifth world countries without outdoor toilets and electricity and they don't end up homeless.

Some even end up financially success full within the same generation.

Now is the PERFECT time if you are marginally employed or unemployed to find jobs/better jobs

I went to the library yesterday to print something because it was free. I am gainfully employed.

Nothing wrong with going to the library. Use the resources that your taxes pay for.
You sound ignorant. Fifth world countries? I already know what your background is

Old 08-10-2021, 08:38 PM

608 posts, read 239,068 times
Ok... I wanna steer back on topic, with some hopefully worthwhile intel.

I just called the Trader Joe's on Court St. in Brooklyn.

They start at 17.50/hr. Raises are every 6 months at .55 to .80 depending on performance. They only really want people 4pm to 12pm with 2 of the 5 days definitely being weekends...

...but they do want people, quick!

Old 08-11-2021, 02:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
You sound ignorant. Fifth world countries? I already know what your background is

You know nothing about me. I am a black female immigrant who was raised in a country and community where outdoor toilets (toilets in a hole) were a thing. My grand parents (on both sides!) had one. So unclutch your damn pearls. My travels and personal experiences have also taken me to some of the most heartbreakingly poorest countries and allowed me to interact with some of the most destitute people in the world.

I say fifth world to exaggerate how poor and disadvantaged many immigrants are/were and they still find a way to find jobs, housing, purpose, success here. So it is possible for many to do the same and cut the pity party.

You faux righteous people annoy me. Go back up to the affordable housing section and leave me alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City