Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2021, 08:27 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're smart enough to understand that my question wasn't implying these people should me MOVED.

If the government wants them to stay where they are, why isn't the government PAYING FOR IT?

Staten Island has absolutely nothing to do with this line of discussion. Shelters don't either.

Where in our legal system does the government have the authority to take - by agency decree no less, ie, not legislative action - one person's property to give it to another?
You don't have to imply it because that's pretty much the only other option. Everything else I stated is relevant as well because it goes back to MONEY.

We were facing a homeless crisis WELL BEFORE COVID in part because of what I mentioned before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 08:44 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times
How is this not a "taking" under the fifth amendment? The government is telling landlords that they can't exercise their property rights over their own property. The federal government, and now the state, has turned private property into public housing.

I wouldn't argue that it's a permanent taking but it's certainly at least a temporary taking in which case the government is required to pay directly to the landlords for all economic value for the period in which the government controlled the property (i.e. lost rent).

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 09-01-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-01-2021, 08:47 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Well according this thread because:

1. It's the landlords' faults for not being millionaires before they bought their first property.

2. We just have to.

3. Because some people posted other things that can be loosely connected to this discussion.

I'm just so thankful I made the right decision to stay out of rental real estate in NYC when I had the chance. Success or failure, I know myself. I'd be in jail right now.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-01-2021, 11:52 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,677 times
I blame many landlords who are too quick to rent to marginal dead beat tenant rather than wait for proper tenants. And not pursuing full legal action against tenants. Now tenants and politicians walk around entitled.

I always tell people who throw a fit when I tell them they don't meet the criteria, you can rent from any one of the gov't provided housing or affordable housing. My standards won't budge.

Imagine being mad at someone who made the sacrifice to work, earn, produce and provide and feeling entitled to live rent free in other people's property. That is what NYCHA is for.

One of our property was empty for a year and a 7 months while we renovated it and while looking for suitable tenants. I have no issues paying my mortgage. There is no way I am working to pay for big able bodied people to live free on my dime.

MOST tenants who I have met who think landlords should work hard to support them and their families always seems to have cars (with car notes) and tons of consumer debts. No one wants to sacrifice and be responsible these days.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,677 times
Every single anti landlord legislation will only make it more expensive and unaffordable for regular hardworking, paying tenants. The state and city pushes these legislations which dissuades landlords from renting to marginal tenants. Then hike gov't housing vouchers to bribe landlords to take the voucher tenants.

Before you know it we have city catering to the welfare class and high earners. The middle income people gets squeezed out.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 09-01-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 01:22 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Screw the unemployed

What pandemic

Lol

All of those unfortunate things don't change the fact that we live in a country governed by a Constitution. Eviction moratoriums are an unconstitutional attempt to force property owners to provide free housing. It's a simple as that, which is why I think all state moratoriums will ultimately be found unconstitutional.

Can someone pro-moratorium show me anywhere in the US or NYS constitutions where it states that property owners are required to provide free apartments? Many of the pro-moratorium groups are part of the extreme left 'housing is a right' movement.

I also understand why Hochul is proposing extending NYS's unconstitutional moratorium into 2022, an election year for her. She's a democrat elected official and can always blame the SCOTUS when the moratorium is thrown out.

Last edited by dfc99; 09-01-2021 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 01:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Every single anti landlord legislation will only make it more expensive and unaffordable for regular hardworking, paying tenants. The state and city pushes these legislations which dissuades landlords from renting to marginal tenants. Then hike gov't housing vouchers to bribe landlords to take the voucher tenants.

Before you know it we have city catering to the welfare class and high earners. The middle income people gets squeezed out.
Bingo. Similar to rent control, the legislation has these types of unintended effects.

I, thankfully, do not own rental property in NYC, however, I will say that I ask my property managers to screen heavily, to provide me with their demographic details so I can do my own screening and there is always an interview involved. Marginal tenants NEVER make it through. I'd rather have my unit sit empty for months instead of "giving someone a shot" -- you can thank the legislation for that. I know I'm not the only landlord who feels this way.

Our family home in Queens has a relative who is living there. This relative can stay as long as necessary, however, upon move out, my parents are going to immediately sell. Whenever they used to entertain the thought of renting it out, I would caution them on the anti-landlord laws in NYC, NYS. Now that they are seeing in practice, they would rather sell for top dollar and get a nice million-plus balance in their bank account instead

I genuinely feel bad for the landlords in New York City..

Old 09-01-2021, 02:32 PM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
All of those unfortunate things don't change the fact that we live in a country governed by a Constitution. Eviction moratoriums are an unconstitutional attempt to force property owners to provide free housing. It's a simple as that, which is why I think all state moratoriums will ultimately be found unconstitutional.

Can someone pro-moratorium show me anywhere in the US or NYS constitutions where it states that property owners are required to provide free apartments? Many of the pro-moratorium groups are part of the extreme left 'housing is a right' movement.

I also understand why Hochul is proposing extending NYS's unconstitutional moratorium into 2022, an election year for her. She's a democrat elected official and can always blame the SCOTUS when the moratorium is thrown out.
If the law was broken then let the law prevail

I'm actually shocked no LL has filed a case yet. I wonder why not. Most of the small ones can barely afford a retainer. Don't know why you would run any type of business without a lawyer on deck anyway.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2021, 02:33 PM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Bingo. Similar to rent control, the legislation has these types of unintended effects.

I, thankfully, do not own rental property in NYC, however, I will say that I ask my property managers to screen heavily, to provide me with their demographic details so I can do my own screening and there is always an interview involved. Marginal tenants NEVER make it through. I'd rather have my unit sit empty for months instead of "giving someone a shot" -- you can thank the legislation for that. I know I'm not the only landlord who feels this way.

Our family home in Queens has a relative who is living there. This relative can stay as long as necessary, however, upon move out, my parents are going to immediately sell. Whenever they used to entertain the thought of renting it out, I would caution them on the anti-landlord laws in NYC, NYS. Now that they are seeing in practice, they would rather sell for top dollar and get a nice million-plus balance in their bank account instead

I genuinely feel bad for the landlords in New York City..
I don't feel bad for the LLs who are not in this predicament and still making money.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2021, 02:59 PM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I blame many landlords who are too quick to rent to marginal dead beat tenant rather than wait for proper tenants. And not pursuing full legal action against tenants. Now tenants and politicians walk around entitled.

I always tell people who throw a fit when I tell them they don't meet the criteria, you can rent from any one of the gov't provided housing or affordable housing. My standards won't budge.

Imagine being mad at someone who made the sacrifice to work, earn, produce and provide and feeling entitled to live rent free in other people's property. That is what NYCHA is for.

One of our property was empty for a year and a 7 months while we renovated it and while looking for suitable tenants. I have no issues paying my mortgage. There is no way I am working to pay for big able bodied people to live free on my dime.

MOST tenants who I have met who think landlords should work hard to support them and their families always seems to have cars (with car notes) and tons of consumer debts. No one wants to sacrifice and be responsible these days.
The trifecta from hell is job loss - illness - divorce …..no matter how good you screen tenants if you are a landlord long enough you will get stung by these three unknowns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City