Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
"The mortgage will pay for itself"

Not when your tenant is not working

Lesson learned to those crying, get a tissue

Boomers make way for the Zoomers
Ok then get out if you don't pay.

It's cute you're justifying deadbeats being entitled to other people's property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 03:30 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Ok then get out if you don't pay.
I agree

My problem is having conversation with people when they have such a linear train of thought

There's 2 sides to every coin. Should tenants pay their rent? Of course. Are some tenants taking advantage? Yes. Was housing court open before Covid? Yes. Ppl act like tenants always paid their rent and this not paying rent during the pandemic is some new phenomenon. Like I said, I used to work in L&T and that's prolly why I'm unsympathetic. I've see 2 year stips drawn up in court, longer than Covid's been out

Hell, I've seen tenants brough to court for way more things other than non-payment of rent, plenty of holdover cases I worked on.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
No, no one is acting like that. Sometimes you try to make strange arguments. Its basically gaslighting.

I'm just not into victim blaming when the government is using its force to coerce a result which intentionally victimizes private citizens without even going through the legislative process. Too many brush it off with excuses (as you're doing) which is why the government gets away with it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-31-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No, no one is acting like that. Sometimes you try to make strange arguments. Its basically gaslighting.

I'm just not into victim blaming when the government is using its force to coerce a result which intentionally victimizes private citizens without even going through the legislative process. Too many brush it off with excuses (as you're doing) which is why the government gets away with it.
This is how the system works, I guess everybody gets to pick and choose what suits them

Every cause has an effect

Its blaming the government for giving out extra UI money and again blaming the government for the eviction moratorium

All I'm saying is that everything was in place already and I am not surprised by anything that's going on (referring to ppl not paying rent)

If you really want to impress me let's see if we can find out how much lottery apartment people, or even NYCHA, stopped paying rent, then that will be something to talk about

I'm not gaslighting anybody, I just like to look at things from more than one angle

Old 08-31-2021, 03:42 PM

106,678 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Costly? As opposed to not getting any rent at all? Well that seems just dandy to sit back and pray every month and hope the tenant pays.

Can you provide an approx. number figure so that we can have a better understanding of how much more costly it is, or do you not have this information?
no one expected a pandemic . you cant add the insurance in mid stream .

for what they charge for dead beat insurance year after year most can be way ahead without it.

there is insurance for everything in life but we dont insure against everything .

normally a few months of no rent is not devastating .. but a year and a half can certainly be . especially if the landlords income from his other job may have been effected

Old 08-31-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no one expected a pandemic . you cant add the insurance in mid stream .

for what they charge for dead beat insurance year after year most can be way ahead without it
Ok, can you provide an example of how much more substantial of a cost it is? Because otherwise what you're saying is hyperbole.

Furthermore, clearly somebody must pay for the service otherwise said service would not exist

Old 08-31-2021, 03:48 PM

I just think people stopped paying rent because its too expensive in general

NYCers prolly pay half their income in rent, good luck saving up and trying to upgrade your situation on that formula, it's gonna be long nights of eating Ramen noodles and beans to get that downpayment up.

The LLs won't go after who charges them the exorbitant amounts it costs to own an investment property, just pass it to the plebs who live in at-will states who can get canned for any reason anyway, bye-bye steady rent check

Mind you, you guys are acting like people are going to work and willingly just not paying their rent, ppl got let go, hence the extra $300

Its not like people are still going to work and saying screw the rent, lol

Either way this is not the poor people's fight, like anybody can afford market rent in NYC on a $20 job, I don't care what neighborhood it is.

The Boomer solution - go get a $60 job somehow, or go work three $20 jobs and drop dead early

Maybe stop trying to take care of 80 year old buildings.

Buying a building in NYC is like buying a used car

And I'm talking about one of those used car dealer lots where they keep the dogs outside at night.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:50 PM

106,678 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Ok, can you provide an example of how much more substantial of a cost it is? Because otherwise what you're saying is hyperbole.
no idea .... i never used it .

but typically the majors get 5-7% of the rent amount . that is in addition to the landlord insurance policy.

however there can be minimum credit scores on your tenants that are required as well as incomes and other criteria . insurance is on specific tenants you have

here are some internet companies

How much does Landlord Rent Default Insurance cost on average and what’s the refund policy?

The premium depends on a rental unit’s address, monthly rent amount, and the amount of coverage you select. You can choose to cover from 1.5 to 6 months of lost rental income during a 1-year policy period. For example, the estimated annual premium for a rental unit in Downtown Orlando, renting at $1,500/month, would be around $240/year to cover for up to 3 months of lost rental income. Currently, the minimum retained premium is 100%, which means that we cannot provide any refunds if you cancel your policy.

Any owner of a residential rental unit that has at least 6 months remaining on the lease. This insurance is for rentals that are used as a tenant’s primary residence, and so it is not available for vacation homes or short-term rentals. There is also a list of requirements that need to be met to qualify for the insurance, such as the tenant must have a minimum credit score of 580, a monthly income of 2.5 times the monthly rent, and must not have been the subject of an eviction proceeding, bankruptcy, foreclosure or judgments in the last 3 years.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:53 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
I just think people stopped paying rent because its too expensive in general

NYCers prolly pay half their income in rent, good luck saving up and trying to upgrade your situation on that formula, it's gonna be long nights of eating Ramen noodles and beans to get that downpayment up.

The LLs won't go after who charges them the exorbitant amounts it costs to own an investment property, just pass it to the plebs who live in at-will states who can get canned for any reason anyway, bye-bye steady rent check

Mind you, you guys are acting like people are going to work and willingly just not paying their rent, ppl got let go, hence the extra $300

Its not like people are still going to work and saying screw the rent, lol

Either way this is not the poor people's fight, like anybody can afford market rent in NYC on a $20 job, I don't care what neighborhood it is.

The Boomer solution - go get a $60 job somehow, or go work three $20 jobs and drop dead early

Maybe stop trying to take care of 80 year old buildings.
Maybe, then again maybe not...

https://therealdeal.com/2021/08/06/t...foot-the-bill/

Old 08-31-2021, 03:57 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
This is how the system works, I guess everybody gets to pick and choose what suits them

Every cause has an effect

Its blaming the government for giving out extra UI money and again blaming the government for the eviction moratorium

All I'm saying is that everything was in place already and I am not surprised by anything that's going on (referring to ppl not paying rent)

If you really want to impress me let's see if we can find out how much lottery apartment people, or even NYCHA, stopped paying rent, then that will be something to talk about

I'm not gaslighting anybody, I just like to look at things from more than one angle
You keep trying to conflate multiple issues to make it seem as if others' arguments are moot. That's not an honest way to debate, just saying. We're always good of course, but I have to point it out.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City