Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 PM

35,123 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
How do you know it was because of the mask? You dont.

My wife and two little kids are all positive. Ive been home with them all week. Cleaning my daughters boogers as my son coughs and sneezes on me.

Guess what? Im still negative.

Sometimes people just dont get it.

But whatever helps your story.
My father-in-law went Covid+ in December 2020. He had been struggling with severe cardiac and pulmonary issues for three or four decades and he died, after two heart attacks on January 27, 2021. My wife was often is to see him, both in the apartment and during two hospitalizations in the Covid Wing of the hospital. She never caught it. I never caught it. I was directly exposed to one work colleague with it in early January, and two work colleagues a week ago Friday.

I am fully vaccinated and boosted once.

Granted, I may have had it in February 2020 when I felt like dog excrement for three days and I had a foul smell in my nostrils for almost a month. Officially I have never had it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 PM

3,515 posts, read 1,420,320 times
Quote:

My wife and two little kids are all positive. Ive been home with them all week. Cleaning my daughters boogers as my son coughs and sneezes on me.

Because common sense, the masks covers the nose and mouth. That has to help. Think about it, if two people are talking to each other with no mask and their breath is coming straight out of their mouth and you are directly inhaling that without any face covering, it would be very very easy for a contagious disease to transmit.

Of course, masks cannot 100% block everything, since air escapes through the sides of the mask. But for the aerosols to escape through the sides of someone's mask and then enter into the sides of your mask and into your body would be significantly more difficult. If your nose and mouth are both completely exposed, it will be MUCH easier!

Old 05-13-2022, 10:40 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,434,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Because common sense, the masks covers the nose and mouth. That has to help. Think about it, if two people are talking to each other with no mask and their breath is coming straight out of their mouth and you are directly inhaling that without any face covering, it would be very very easy for a contagious disease to transmit.

Of course, masks cannot 100% block everything, since air escapes through the sides of the mask. But for the aerosols to escape through the sides of someone's mask and then enter into the sides of your mask and into your body would be significantly more difficult. If your nose and mouth are both completely exposed, it will be MUCH easier!
This makes way too much sense for the average person to understand. I totally get it though...TRULY.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:48 PM

35,123 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Not quite in NYC but near. I saw someone riding a bicycle, alone, on the side of the Bronx River Reservation in New York, masked. As for a possible reason for this madness, see Pulitzer Prize-Winning Health Journalist ... - Trending Politics.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not quite in NYC but near. I saw someone riding a bicycle, alone, on the side of the Bronx River Reservation in New York, masked. As for a possible reason for this madness, see Pulitzer Prize-Winning Health Journalist ... - Trending Politics.

There's a difference between the "madness" of someone wearing a mask alone outdoors vs. someone choosing to put one on upon entering a crowded indoor store. A mask can help reduce (not eliminate) the spreading of the virus.

Having said that, I'm actually beginning not to care anymore and may eventually just say to myself, "F*** the mask!" Not because I'm becoming anti-mask, but because 95% of people out there just don't care anymore about the pandemic, which is getting A LOT worse now since cases are rising substantially. Me going into stores masked up is essentially useless if everyone around me is hovering over me with no mask. The mask will not do much good if there is an overwhelming amount of Covid in the air.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:45 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,478,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
There's a difference between the "madness" of someone wearing a mask alone outdoors vs. someone choosing to put one on upon entering a crowded indoor store. A mask can help reduce (not eliminate) the spreading of the virus.

Having said that, I'm actually beginning not to care anymore and may eventually just say to myself, "F*** the mask!" Not because I'm becoming anti-mask, but because 95% of people out there just don't care anymore about the pandemic, which is getting A LOT worse now since cases are rising substantially. Me going into stores masked up is essentially useless if everyone around me is hovering over me with no mask. The mask will not do much good if there is an overwhelming amount of Covid in the air.
As someone who is boosted and just am getting over Covid Omicron.... LOL. You have nothing to worry about.

My worst symptom was an occasional cough and one stuffy nostril. I'm good. I'm on day 5.

My Kids and Wife are all Negative 6 days later and they were Similar. My kids arent even vaccinated.

EDIT: My job required me to keep testing while out, first two tests were negative. third came back positive. I had ZERO symptoms and thought it was a mistake. That night the cough started and I still have a stuffed nose (one side). I think i'll be ok lol. I had two colds this year that were 10x worse. Not kidding.

Time to move on.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:00 PM

You guys seem to act as if getting Covid is fun or something. I never enjoyed getting sick with the cold or flu, so why on earth would I want to get Covid?

Old 05-15-2022, 11:49 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,755,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That article states cloth masks only work to instill fear about covid, but the CDC told us cloth masks don't work as well as N95's, but of course the N95's aren't mentioned by the journalist because they do worK. Covering the eyes gives more protection along with the mask.

I don't live far from the area you mentioned, and the new covid cases I've heard about are coming from schools and day care centers. When I went out today I saw many people wearing masks when they were alone walking, waiting for the bus, etc., it made me feel proud to live here when I saw them taking precautions, it's better for everyone.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:43 AM

168 posts, read 41,953 times
Quote:

This!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2022, 06:47 AM

168 posts, read 41,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
That article states cloth masks only work to instill fear about covid, but the CDC told us cloth masks don't work as well as N95's, but of course the N95's aren't mentioned by the journalist because they do worK. Covering the eyes gives more protection along with the mask.

I don't live far from the area you mentioned, and the new covid cases I've heard about are coming from schools and day care centers. When I went out today I saw many people wearing masks when they were alone walking, waiting for the bus, etc., it made me feel proud to live here when I saw them taking precautions, it's better for everyone.
Probably should wear a hazmat suit. Better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City