Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 07:58 AM

106,739 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

we will see.

that money is easily tracked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 08:25 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
I guess a lot depends on how the go fund me ASK was worded.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,667,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we will see.

that money is easily tracked
Here's the GFM text:
Funds are being raised to pay Mr. Penny’s legal fees incurred from any criminal charges filed and any future civil lawsuits that may arise, as well as expenses related to his defense.

I would guess that GFM money will be unavailable at the time of the civil case.

I was involved in a civil case many moons ago and I never saw a dime. The bureaucracy involved in collecting is mind-boggling.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:26 PM

8 posts, read 1,920 times
After a while we get acclimated to having outrageously crazy and violent homeless on the streets. It is normalized in the minds of many New Yorkers. But if you really think of it, the city purposefully wants them out there causing chaos. It is intentional.

Having so many blatant menaces ride the subway and seeing a nonstop trickle of these violent news reports is not a natural occurrence. To be honest the MTA wants them there. The leaders of our city want them out there menacing other people.

They call it a “homeless problem” but truly it is only a problem because the city wants them creating chaos. It is not some unsolvable problem like they always say it is. Oh it is solvable.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:06 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonpersonNYC View Post
After a while we get acclimated to having outrageously crazy and violent homeless on the streets. It is normalized in the minds of many New Yorkers. But if you really think of it, the city purposefully wants them out there causing chaos. It is intentional.

Having so many blatant menaces ride the subway and seeing a nonstop trickle of these violent news reports is not a natural occurrence. To be honest the MTA wants them there. The leaders of our city want them out there menacing other people.

They call it a “homeless problem” but truly it is only a problem because the city wants them creating chaos. It is not some unsolvable problem like they always say it is. Oh it is solvable.
Any guesses on WHY the City ostensibly would want them "out there?"

Old 06-18-2023, 05:45 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,090,818 times
We still don’t know much about the “ex-marine”. He was said to be from West Islip which is presumably where his family lives but now he says he lives in the East Village. It is a bit odd that no friends or family were with him when he was arrested and I am not aware of any of them speaking out to support him including anyone from the Marines. If he’s such a great and selfless defender of women and children, why hasn’t anyone in his life come out and said they know Penny and attested to his character? Also in the video he made he shows no remorse that someone died even if it was unintentional and he uses terminology that a civilian would never use. He says he saw “the rise and fall” of Neely’s chest indicating he was breathing. The average person would just say they saw Neely breathing not mention the rise and fall of his chest. Penny was using his military training and he either knew he could kill him or wasn’t concerned if he did. Finally he says he held him for 5 minutes, not 15. A person can be strangled in 5 minutes.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:00 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
We still don’t know much about the “ex-marine”. He was said to be from West Islip which is presumably where his family lives but now he says he lives in the East Village. It is a bit odd that no friends or family were with him when he was arrested and I am not aware of any of them speaking out to support him including anyone from the Marines. If he’s such a great and selfless defender of women and children, why hasn’t anyone in his life come out and said they know Penny and attested to his character? Also in the video he made he shows no remorse that someone died even if it was unintentional and he uses terminology that a civilian would never use. He says he saw “the rise and fall” of Neely’s chest indicating he was breathing. The average person would just say they saw Neely breathing not mention the rise and fall of his chest. Penny was using his military training and he either knew he could kill him or wasn’t concerned if he did. Finally he says he held him for 5 minutes, not 15. A person can be strangled in 5 minutes.
In the current "woke" environment would you put your life on the line by doing that?

Old 06-18-2023, 07:28 AM

1,067 posts, read 547,990 times
Quote:
You're so full of complaints. You're gonna complain that he said he saw Neelys chest rise and fall

If Marine had said "I knew the guy was breathing" then you'd be complaining 'how did the marine know Neely was breathing'

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=how+c...e+is+breathing

Old 06-18-2023, 01:15 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
I'd tell my family to stay far away myself so that they don't become visible targets of the mob. But that's assuming that he even has a family; for all I know he's an orphan or otherwise doesn't have any close living relatives. One of my old coworkers lost his parents as a young adult and doesn't have any living siblings. The holidays were always tough for him.

Still, to counter some of your other questions/points, the fact that people aren't coming out of the woodwork claiming that he's some abuser, etc., is telling as well.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:58 PM

2,448 posts, read 1,223,349 times
Quote:
Get a better news source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City