Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 PM

389 posts, read 774,951 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to wish the brothers and everyone else on here a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy it as much as you can after a long week.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:20 PM

233 posts, read 535,252 times
for the most part, it snows every year. how come each time it snows, there is mass confusion in what is going to happen for that day. it seems that everyone from the boro office, deputy chief, superintendent, and supervisor is so afraid to make a decision. then about an hour after the shift starts, everything is finally organized, paperwork is handed out, then im told that i need to get out into the streets NOW. to hell with you, mr supervisor. i dress differently when i do corner caps compared to the spreader. im going back to my locker to maybe get an extra sweater, put 1 back, put a different pair of boots on, and so on. and when i eventually get down to the trucks, SURPRISE, the truck im assigned is blocked in 2 rows... supervisor freaks out and wants me to move these 6 trucks? #1: there is no place to put them. #2: im not a GU... supervisor wanted the badge, now this is your problem to figure out. im tired of doing favors for you. this place just gets better and better every day.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:41 PM

200 posts, read 576,912 times
Supervisors, Superintendents ABS, BS's and so on are getting younger and younger with less street experience. Most have book smarts and no street smarts. Thats a problem when it comes down to making decisions on whats going to happen in the streets. I saw a lot of bad decisions made this last snow storm and it was pretty pathetic. I miss the days of old when real street experienced bosses with a set of brass B.....ls played a part in making the right decisions. I wonder about the future of this dept.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM

233 posts, read 535,252 times
districts can run themselves. the problem is when these bosses want to throw some weight around and start ordering manpower to other places. meanwhile the section supervisors need the manpower right where it is. countless supervisors said that their better says were as a s/w.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM

121 posts, read 249,894 times
I laugh to myself when I hear people rant about how great this job is. It pays good for the scant requirements to get on the job. And the benefits and retirement plans are pretty good. Not many private sector jobs are as generous. But I can't wait for 2017 to get here. I will be happy to bail as soon as I hit twenty years. Lots of crybabies in the ranks. Bosses that don't know what they're doing. A steady increase in the amount of ungrateful citizens that we serve. The union seems to contradict itself depending on who you ask. I mean you have districts like Q8 that stay out all day and never dump,then you have some Bronx garages that run-up and dump two loads on shift! I know,I've heard it before,the men are responsible. I am tired of it,I'm starting to just not care anymore. My body hurts a little more each year. I see men with 20 plus years getting forced nights this past week. I don't like people with tissues,especially ro-ro drivers with no time on the job. And ez-pak,broomies and lots. The worst is most of the floyd bennett slugs. I don't like most bosses,particularly abs and supers bucking for promotion. I don't like the fraternal societies. They are run by bosses that love having their butts kissed. Wanna make cuts at dsny? Start up top! Then make the hiding spots like brooms,ezpak,training easily accessible by seniority by anyone desiring it. Got 14 years of picking up garbage and feel like taking a year or so off the truck? Bounce some junior ezpacker onto the truck and into the mix. These things,unfortunately, probably won't happen. But its how I feel. And I'm not alone.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
I laugh to myself when I hear people rant about how great this job is. It pays good for the scant requirements to get on the job. And the benefits and retirement plans are pretty good. Not many private sector jobs are as generous. But I can't wait for 2017 to get here. I will be happy to bail as soon as I hit twenty years. Lots of crybabies in the ranks. Bosses that don't know what they're doing. A steady increase in the amount of ungrateful citizens that we serve. The union seems to contradict itself depending on who you ask. I mean you have districts like Q8 that stay out all day and never dump,then you have some Bronx garages that run-up and dump two loads on shift! I know,I've heard it before,the men are responsible. I am tired of it,I'm starting to just not care anymore. My body hurts a little more each year. I see men with 20 plus years getting forced nights this past week. I don't like people with tissues,especially ro-ro drivers with no time on the job. And ez-pak,broomies and lots. The worst is most of the floyd bennett slugs. I don't like most bosses,particularly abs and supers bucking for promotion. I don't like the fraternal societies. They are run by bosses that love having their butts kissed. Wanna make cuts at dsny? Start up top! Then make the hiding spots like brooms,ezpak,training easily accessible by seniority by anyone desiring it. Got 14 years of picking up garbage and feel like taking a year or so off the truck? Bounce some junior ezpacker onto the truck and into the mix. These things,unfortunately, probably won't happen. But its how I feel. And I'm not alone.
Tissues are based on seniority. If you want a tissue take it when it opens but you dont want it you just want it when it comes to snow and going nights. There is good and bad when it comes to the tissue. You dont get truck money but you also dont go nights and out of town. If the benfits out way the negatives ou would of taken it but it doesnt so you dont.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 PM

121 posts, read 249,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Tissues are based on seniority. If you want a tissue take it when it opens but you dont want it you just want it when it comes to snow and going nights. There is good and bad when it comes to the tissue. You dont get truck money but you also dont go nights and out of town. If the benfits out way the negatives ou would of taken it but it doesnt so you dont.
Tell me something I don't already know. I think the system needs a little revamping.
Whatever, I'm tired and not really interested in dsny 101 tonite.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 PM

6 posts, read 11,159 times
i know what u r saying i feel if u r not manning your tissue for the day u should go where your senority puts u

Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 PM

372 posts, read 830,176 times
the union makes up there own rules on a day to day basis if you ask them one thing at 11pm and the same thing at 12am you will get two seperate answers.....but def with the young bosses is crazy you got supers wanting to move up to chief by ten years on the job supers with 7 years on... and when they were sanmen they were hidden either in the clinic worth street or some other place were your not even required to wear a uniform and get dirrtyyy...

Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
I received a reply to my email to DCAS a few weeks ago.

A $111,000k yr administrative staff analyst wrote.

"The 4yr rule, by which I assume you refer to the duration of a civil service eligible list, is based on provisions of the State Civil Service Law (CSL) which, although amended over the years, was originally signed into law in 1909."

"In the current version of the CSL, Section 56,
Subsection 1, provides for the duration of an eligible list. This section also provides for the extension of lists when a restriction against the filling of vacancies exists during a financial emergency."

The 6063 list will obviously be extended, question is for how long though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City