Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 PM

137 posts, read 367,180 times

Advertisements

I love NYC, but can honestly say I'm planning on moving out. I've lived in other smaller, cheaper cities and all of my cultural needs were more than met at half of the cost of living compared to NYC and with far fewer hipsters making Mod cut art everywhere.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Over a year later.....to the OP did you move? I hope you did, you should try your best to happy. Most major cities have the issues you are talking about. I was thinking maybe the west coast would be great for you.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM

442 posts, read 1,297,110 times
Hell nahhh I'm moving back after I get out the military for sure I was going to different places that made me finallY realize there's no place like home

Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 AM

82 posts, read 315,699 times
I can understand you very well. Get out of this city as soon as you can, you will at least have some quality of life.After moving to NYC from California, just like Homer Simpson I had only two words for it: a hell hole. It's overpriced, overcrowded, polluted, dirty, noisy, no grass, no parking, roads are terrible, climate is bad, people and businesses are rude like nowhere else in US. What is it to like here? I'm paying more for a ridiculous apartment in Manhattan than for my mortgage for 5 times bigger house with more amenities in California. I have to pay exorbitant parking fees everywhere I drive and get stuck in traffic all the time. Majority of people have to take public transportation: what a pathetic place. No wonder businesses offer twice as much compensation in NYC just to lure people from other areas.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Default bad comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
You know what the funny thing is? According to a post in another thread, the OP who started this a little over a year ago, spent the summer in Oklahoma and changed his mind about his opinion of the city. Said if he has to give up living in NY it would have to be a place just as comparible as NY, like San Fran. I think people should spend time outside of the city to really understand the city, then make up their minds.
San Francisco is so much better place than NYC, no comparison. Even traffic being terrible in SF is still better than in NYC. And though I like to visit SF once in a while, mostly when driving to Marine County, I wouldn't like living there because it's so overcrowded. Well, NYC is 100 times worse in that respect.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
^ Don't fret, you should be happy San Fran is even mentioned in the same sentence as NY. LOL, no hard feelings, its your opinion.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
Majority of people have to take public transportation
Majority of people PREFER to take public transportation.

One person's hell hole is another person's paradise. To each his own.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 PM

44 posts, read 180,674 times
yes

Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Default yeah, right, prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Majority of people PREFER to take public transportation.
Sure, and some, in a similar manner of speaking, PREFER living in slums
It's just when they do have a choice, their preferences dramatically change. Why is that?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
Sure, and some, in a similar manner of speaking, PREFER living in slums
It's just when they do have a choice, their preferences dramatically change. Why is that?
I wouldn't equate preferring public transportation to wanting to live in slums. Ask any urban planner and they'll tell you public transportation is a good way to cut down on pollution and traffic. Cities with poor public transport often have to spend more money building new highways and constantly widening roads as they perpetually gobble up more of the natural environment for low density development. In the majority of western countries people prefer to use public transportation as a way of getting around, its easier, faster and sustainable in the long run. When given a choice, I think it would be split between cars and public transport, look at Europe. Its a nice option to have as opposed to having to fill my tank twice a week $30 each time. Obviously you're a subscriber to the car culture and see public transportation as 'slumming it'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City