Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post
because life is getting mundane , even in this city for me. Especially when you're poor.
I'm not telling you not to move; I'm really not. I know how it feels to want to change your scenery to make it feel like you're at least doing something to improve your life.

But if you're poor (and I'm not sure if you were saying you were/are), every place sucks. If you're broke, where ever you go, there you are. This is true if you have money too, but having-money in NYC is vastly different than having-money in, say, Abilene.

If you're moving because you have a much higher paying job somewhere, then you'll probably love where you're going. If you're moving to be broke somewhere else, you'll burn out there too. Trust me, I've done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM

31 posts, read 102,908 times
I make pretty decent money here in NYC. I have to say the comment above is true. I liked NYC for the money that I made...but even money can't buy happiness. I know I might make a tad less in California, and pay the same costs..but I just think the trade offs and luxuries there are well worth it.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYQUEEN View Post
Yeah, I'm not really moving to Beverly Hills..but it is GORGEOUS. There is a reason why the houses are 10million and up .

I love Santa Barbara and all the winery cities as well. They are beautiful! And when you live in those cities..the beach actually isn't that far. Maybe 30 minutes at the most.
Um houses in Beverly Hills do NOT start at $10 million. Mod cut
You can rent an apartment in Beverly Hills for the price of renting an apartment on the freaking LOWER EAST SIDE. My rent in Beverly Hills was much cheaper than my rent here in the East Village. Beverly Hills is actually cheap compared to neighborhoods like SoHo, TriBeCa and Greenwich Village. The median house price in Beverly Hills is $1,323,721 (in comparison, SoHo's is $2.3mm).

Speaking from experience, LA is so disgustingly polluted and entire Southern California region (with the exception of Santa Barbara) is an overrated cultural wasteland. The Bay Area is more sophisticated.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-04-2008 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM

31 posts, read 102,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
Um houses in Beverly Hills do NOT start at $10 million. What are you smoking?

You can rent an apartment in Beverly Hills for the price of renting an apartment on the freaking LOWER EAST SIDE. My rent in Beverly Hills was much cheaper than my rent here in the East Village. Beverly Hills is actually cheap compared to neighborhoods like SoHo, TriBeCa and Greenwich Village. The median house price in Beverly Hills is $1,323,721 (in comparison, SoHo's is $2.3mm).

Speaking from experience, LA is so disgustingly polluted and entire Southern California region (with the exception of Santa Barbara) is an overrated cultural wasteland. The Bay Area is more sophisticated.
Mod cutYES, many of the houses in Beverly Hills are 10 million or more. T

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-04-2008 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYQUEEN View Post
Mod cutYES, many of the houses in Beverly Hills are 10 million or more. T
If you think anywhere in, around, or near San Fran is better than SoCal, you are clearly sippin' way too much on the hate-o-rade.
There are a lot of homes in he United States that cost more than 10 million. Does that mean homes in the United States start at 10 million???
Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM

203 posts, read 689,543 times
i want to move to Cali...L.A

im sick of the cold weather here....i want sunshine and hot girls

the subway is gross and stinky

L.A seems so glamorous and happening too, love the clubs out there and the whole hollywood culture

andddddd I love filipinas and there just isnt enough here like in cali

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post

L.A seems so glamorous and happening too, love the clubs out there and the whole hollywood culture

Go to Queens, the Filipinas are over there. My friend from the Philippines has a lot of family in the Flushing area.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Try California, but you might be back in NY sooner than you think. The whole Hollywood scene is a veneer, complete with manufactured glamor that is fueled by media publicity machines, and is definitely not rooted in reality. While the core of Hollywood has improved in recent years, parts of it are still every bit as gritty as any inner city neighborhood, save for the vegetation where it exists.

The weather is better, that's for sure, but I'd recommend trying long visits out there before committing to it, unless you have a compelling reason that's beyond a superficial affinity, since the positives can be fleeting in the city of angles.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 PM

398 posts, read 1,332,002 times
Quote:

I disagree.I would take Colombian,Puertorican, and Dominican ladies all day over Filipinas. I've dated Filipinas out here in Cali, they're real cool. But to me their's no comparison. but hey, to each his own.

Last edited by DjRey; 12-04-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Clearly, you've never actually been to Los Angeles.

This perception is just as annoying as the people who move to NYC to live the glamorous Sex and the City lifestyle. FYI, Hollywood is just as gritty as the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City