Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What exactly do we mean by the bay area? Are we including Oakland in that? Oakland is very dreary, industrial, ugly city. No offense. I think most would consider it a major downgrade from NYC. Major.

San Fran is very nice though. I would definitely live in San Fran but its just as expensive as NYC, maybe just a smidge cheaper.

I've heard that the weather in Seattle is not as bad people make it out to be. But I haven't been to Seattle...
YO, Yo, yo. I went to the Lake Merit neighborhood of Oakland and it was beautiful! Nice 1 bedroom apts with a balcony, pool, and laundry room for $900 a mos.
Plus I seen some nice apts in the Sunset district of San Fran for under $1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What exactly do we mean by the bay area? Are we including Oakland in that? Oakland is very dreary, industrial, ugly city IMO for the most part. No offense. I think most would consider it a major downgrade from NYC. Major.
Techically, the Bay Area does include Oakland, though most assume it's only San Jose and San Francisco and affiliated counties. It would be a major downgrade from New York, however, you are absolutely correct.

Seattle can be nice, but one needs to get away to the sun periodically. It has a very high suicide rate, which some postulate could be due to a lack of sunlight that makes SAD sufferers that much worse.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Techically, the Bay Area does include Oakland, though most assume it's only San Jose and San Francisco and affiliated counties. It would be a major downgrade from New York, however, you are absolutely correct.

Seattle can be nice, but one needs to get away to the sun periodically. It has a very high suicide rate, which some postulate could be due to a lack of sunlight that makes SAD sufferers that much worse.
Weather-wise San Fran can be very dreary also. It tends to be overcast and foggy alot as well. But I think the way the city is designed, the laid-back nature of the people and just the general atmoshphere makes up for it.

Joe Bama please let me know a little bit more about this neighborhood in San Fran with rents under $1000! This is something I'm definitely curious about.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYQUEEN View Post
I don't understand why someone would leave NYC for Seattle though...It's the same crap weather and much more bland. If/when I leave..I'm going somewhere glorious..like Beverly Hills, California! Awesome weather, beautiful people, "cultural", gorgeous beaches and mountains, and TONS to do!
Beverly Hills?? I used to rent a place in Beverly Hills and some parts are glorious, but you are still in dumpy polluted Los Angeles.

P.S., there are no beaches in Beverly Hills. People who move to "Hollywood" to be around "culture" glorious, beautiful, mountains (which you can't ever see anyway because of the filthy air) people usually all leave within a year when they are faced with the harsh reality that it's just a false perception...and they watch too much television. If you want California glory, stay as far away from Los Angeles as you can. You would probably like Santa Barbara which in my opinion, is glorious if you like slow living.

And I too, don't understand why anyone would want to move from NYC to Seattle? Seattle is ugly in my opinion. It's so gloomy and depressing, I can't stand it.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
People who move to "Hollywood" to be around "culture" glorious, beautiful, mountains (which you can't ever see anyway because of the filthy air) people usually all leave within a year when they are faced with the harsh reality that it's just a false perception.
Not surprising, since the movie industry happens to come from Brooklyn! No, I'm not suddenly delusional. The NBC studio in Midwood, Avenue M and East 13 Street, used to be Vitagraph--where they turned out movies before there was any such thing as Hollywood. If you take the Q train out this way, you can still see the tall brick chimney with the word "Vitagraph" spelled out vertically). All the actors and actresses lived in a little colony on Ocean Avenue around Cortelyou Road--which explains the unusually fancy houses in the area.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Who do people who love "nature" feel that they have to move across the city to experience "nature"?

That's like me living in San Francisco and moving to North Carolina due to the lack of trees or nature in the City of San Francisco.

Hello, you live in the a city. The towns being thrown around like Palo Alto are suburban communites outside of San Francisco, how could they possibly be compared to NYC? How could anyone in the middle of a city complain about the fast pace and lack of forests in the largest city in the United States? If you have want to be around trees, you could easily move a few miles outside of New York CITY, to someplace in naturally serene in Connecticut, Westchester, etc. and hug/enjoy all the trees and, hills and lush landscape galore, just as the person living in The City of San Francisco moves to Woodside or Hillsborough when they are sick of living in middle of a city and wish to be around nature and a much slower pace of living.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:44 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I love this city, to the OP the grass is not always greener on the other side, you will find shi*ty rude people wherever you go, public transportation is BY FAR superior here compared to most cities in the US, and if you do not think it is a beautiful city (architecture, parks etc) you have definitely been here to long and need to move away

but you will find cheaper rents elsewhere
Yes...I agree. I love NY and to me its the best city Ive been to....I can access any and everything in NY...I miss it terribly...

Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,332,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I am totally with you. I grew up here too and I'm just tired of the headaches. I want things easier and greener and less crowded whether cars or people. Though for a city I think its very beautiful and the public transportation does its best.

So I also want to get out but I dont think I'd want to live across the country because I must say I love my New Yorkers. We are a special breed and often those that go elsewhere cannot stand the people and lifestyle. I was going to move to FL but now I'm thinking I'm going to relocate around 30 miles from the City so I can still work here if needed. I would love to find a job outside of the City though, but still be nearby to see family and friends and keep in touch with the New York vibe.
So what are some decent areas around 30 miles from the city that you can still be accessable to NYC on the weekends?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM

30 posts, read 125,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Okayyyy, its true you can get to WP in 30 minutes, but you can also get to Bear Mountain, Harriman Park and other really quiet and out of the way places in about 30 to 40 minutes. Just take the GWB to the Palisades Parkway.

But it seems the OP is complaining about "city" issues, so why would he then want to relocate to more cities, including a seemingly congested one in SF?

The situation geos finds himself in sounds typical for many New Yorkers who move away. That's why I'm thinking just 30 miles away so I can still participate in NYC when I want, plus hopefully live around both nice big parks and hiking trails, but also some malls for goodness sake. I sure can't see myself going to Walmart for my clothes LOL.

I lived in Bermuda for a year and 1/2 and really enjoyed the peace and beauty, though its very small and got old fast. What's cool is that it had a lot of people from all over living there, plus the whole reggae vibe which was big in the mid-90's when I lived there.

There is absolutely no way you can get to Bear Mountain in 30 to 40 minutes unless you go at two in the morning and drive 90 the whole way.

I have lived in NY for a long time and each year the traffic gets more and more absurd. I love living here but it can be such a hassle to just try to get away for a day or the weekend and I was comparing it to other cities where that is not as much of an issue.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,757 times
Default Small town kid...

I grew up in a small town in Northeastern PA. I went to art school in a small insignificant city in PA. Our first excursion was to Manhattan. We visited the Whitney and the Guggenheim. I was changed forever! I had never been to NY and the museums were overwhelming with out-of-this-world ideas! I always wanted to live in NY, but destiny kept me elsewhere. I did manage to visit frequently and got to know everything about NY. Of course this is from a visitor's point of view.

Later in my life I lived in Boston. Now I had a comparison. I hated the Boston mass transit system. It horribly slow and archaic compared to NYC! It shut down around midnight! Unbelievable! And I ran out of museums and galleries up north. There were so few. That could never happen in NYC!

I was starting my own art business in Boston and got a part time job to keep one foot on the ground. I was amazed at my co-workers who struggled to survive and yet had nothing to do with Boston. They lived near it and put up with the very high cost of living, but never enjoyed anything in the city. I told them, rather than live with two or three other people. Go to my hometown and you can live like a king. I was attracted to the city because of the culture and endless events. I'd put up with the hassles just for easy access to Monet and friends!

Fortunately here in the U.S., we can pick up and move easily. And if you are in NY and don't like it, make the move. I am now in a small college town in PA. It is a hidden gem. Galleries and very nice pubs are within walking distance. There are many things to do, considering the size of the town. And there is virtually no crime. I miss being in a city, but now drive eastward when I need a fix! I lived in SF and visited most other major U.S. cities. Nothing compares to New York City!

http://www.bloomsburgdowntown.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City