Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:57 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i want to move BACK to NY lol
At least you're only 90 miles away in Philly you can go to NY when you feel like it. I try to go back once a month. speaking of which, I can eat a good bagel with cream cheese right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
At least you're only 90 miles away in Philly you can go to NY when you feel like it. I try to go back once a month. speaking of which, I can eat a good bagel with cream cheese right now.
oh, i'm not complaining.... ...i try to visit friends every couple of weeks as well. and, since my folks live in CT, the NJ TPKE & GW bridge is my life long commute

and i can definitely go for an H&H sesame bagel right about now...toasted w/light scallion cream cheese

Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
speaking of which, I can eat a good bagel with cream cheese right now.
Yeah, with some "shmear" LOL.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,967 times
OK now don't start you guys know I can't get a quality bagel out here lol!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
I want to get the hell out of here, and I think I will eventually. But I still have all my family and friends here (or at least the ones I most care about) and I know if I were to leave New York I would miss the hell out of it. Lots of stuff to hate but there's also a lot to love about NYC.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,040,506 times
I've been thinking about moving to the Bay Area myself. I have never left NYC for more than 2 weeks of my life and I think a change in scenery is due. It might open up a whole new perspective. I could see how it is to be a transplant in another city, maybe even contribute to gentrification.

I like the Bay Area cause of its weather, landscape, affordable education and its political/social views. The transit system isn't too bad either. The Bay Area seems to be much more social conscious than NYC.

Plus I'm not to thrilled with the direction NYC is going. Every year its losing its flavor. NYC is becoming very bland and starting to feel like just any plain ol' city. Its becoming a Disney land, and if I'm gonna live in Disney Land I at least want warm weather.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM

79 posts, read 303,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I'm not sure I understand. If you want to get away from insanely expensive housing costs, rude people, and bad traffic, SFO and Seattle shouldn't even be on your long list. Both are exceptionally cool places and great places to live, but ask any Ciscan or Seattlite and they'll complain about the same things you just complained about NYC.
I have been to both cities and I can see what you mean, but their negatives are to a lesser degree. Oh, and I forgot to add this to my list - New York has the highest income tax rate in the country (by far); and many other taxes that are unnecessarily high. Our city and state is freeloading off of us and always will be. I don't want to be part of that.

Plus, I like the weather in the Bay Area and Seattle better. I'm going into the software industry, so there are a lot more job opportunities (amazon, microsoft, yahoo, google, adobe, etc.)

Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post

Do any of you also want to get the hell outta here, but have not found the opportunity?

Things I hate about New York:
1. It's ugly (it only looks nice from a bird's eye view; walking down the street, every other block is disgusting)
2. Rent and home prices (I don't want to spend an overwhelming chunk of my salary on rent)
3. The number of annoying people (the rude, the uneducated, the gangster wannabe's, and everyone in between)
4. Transportation (Traffic is bad, subway is slow, can't get out of the borough via bus and its even slower)
5. It's the farthest place from nature

I'm aiming for the west coast after graduation. Preferably, the Bay Area or Seattle.
Um, what part of New York do you live in? I've lived in NY and I don't agree with most of your 'points'.

1. You're obviously not a city person to begin with, if you think this. Every other block is disgusting..wha? Do you live in Bed Stuy or something? NY is beautiful, vibrant and YES there are green neighborhoods in NYC that I can recall....I miss it.

2. You can't be complaining about costs then wanting to move to the Bay Area, which is just as $$.

3. I enjoy the diversity of NY, if you hate it, you are not a NY person..at all.

4. Traffic is bad in Seattle and the Bay Area.

5. Who cares? Where I live now is very green, but will trees entertain me?? What is so spectacular about living in a freaking forest? There are a lot of (very) green neighborhoods in NYC and the area, btw so you must not know the city very well. I guess if you're a boring type, you could find fun in trees but honestly, Central Park (Riverside, and the other stunning NY parks) is all I need!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Oh and as for Seattle and the Bay Area specifically- my thoughts on them: Seattle has pretty miserable weather. I love New York's hot summers and cold winters. I need seasons. Seattle is just long periods of rain day-after-day, with less seasonal variations in temperature. Not my idea of summer and winter. It's also not a very diverse city at all. People in New York are from everywhere'... not the same in Seattle.

I like the Bay Area better, but its weather is also not seasonal enough for me (especially in SF). Also, the Bay Area is the one part of the country that rivals NY in rent costs (again, especially in SF).
The weather is actually one of the major reasons why I want to move to those places. Not too hot. not too cold. And I actually like the rain in Seattle - does pour much, just drizzle.

In the Bay Area, rent may be just as high, but you get better places for the money.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Um, what part of New York do you live in? I've lived in NY and I don't agree with most of your 'points'.

1. You're obviously not a city person to begin with, if you think this. Every other block is disgusting..wha? Do you live in Bed Stuy or something? NY is beautiful, vibrant and YES there are green neighborhoods in NYC that I can recall....I miss it.

2. You can't be complaining about costs then wanting to move to the Bay Area, which is just as $$.

3. I enjoy the diversity of NY, if you hate it, you are not a NY person..at all.

4. Traffic is bad in Seattle and the Bay Area.

5. Who cares? Where I live now is very green, but will trees entertain me?? What is so spectacular about living in a freaking forest? There are a lot of (very) green neighborhoods in NYC and the area, btw so you must not know the city very well. I guess if you're a boring type, you could find fun in trees but honestly, Central Park (Riverside, and the other stunning NY parks) is all I need!!!
1. Yeah, sure. Manhattan looks great. But do ever go walking around blocks in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island. I use to wander off a lot in my high school days, and most areas outside of manhattan are just plane shady (some places in manhattan are shady as well).

2. In the Bay Area, you get better places for the money. Yes, its expensive, but I'd rather live in a clean apartment (I don't need a big space) than somebody's basement.

3. Diversity is plentiful in the Bay Area and Seattle. NYC just attracts more diverse low-lifes.

4. Not nearly as bad. Quite a few times, it took me like 10 minutes to get through 5 blocks in manhattan. Ever try to get to the Holland Tunnel via Canal Street?

5. By nature, I don't mean parks!! I mean natural forests like Redwoods. And what exactly are so entertaining about NYC? Movies, bars, restaurants? You can get these anywhere. I'll admit, Broadway and some of the night clubs are pretty cool. But when was the last time you saw a broadway show. It's good to know they're there, but I don't really need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City