Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,179 times

Advertisements

Oh and as for Seattle and the Bay Area specifically- my thoughts on them: Seattle has pretty miserable weather. I love New York's hot summers and cold winters. I need seasons. Seattle is just long periods of rain day-after-day, with less seasonal variations in temperature. Not my idea of summer and winter. It's also not a very diverse city at all. People in New York are from everywhere'... not the same in Seattle.

I like the Bay Area better, but its weather is also not seasonal enough for me (especially in SF). Also, the Bay Area is the one part of the country that rivals NY in rent costs (again, especially in SF).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post
Things I hate about New York:
2. Rent and home prices (I don't want to spend an overwhelming chunk of my salary on rent)
3. The number of annoying people (the rude, the uneducated, the gangster wannabe's, and everyone in between)
4. Transportation (Traffic is bad, subway is slow, can't get out of the borough via bus and its even slower)

I'm aiming for the west coast after graduation. Preferably, the Bay Area or Seattle.
I'm not sure I understand. If you want to get away from insanely expensive housing costs, rude people, and bad traffic, SFO and Seattle shouldn't even be on your long list. Both are exceptionally cool places and great places to live, but ask any Ciscan or Seattlite and they'll complain about the same things you just complained about NYC.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
2. Rent and home prices (I don't want to spend an overwhelming chunk of my salary on rent)

I'm aiming for the west coast after graduation. Preferably, the Bay Area or Seattle.
Seriously rethink the Bay Area in terms of housing prices, as you will find comparatively expensive housing in California.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times
Quote:
To be honest, I hate this city. I've been in New York since when I was nine, was pushed through its crappy public education system, and now I'm about to graduate college. I can't wait till I grow my own financial wings and fly to a greener part of the country. I have been thinking about this for long time and now its finally close to reality.

Do any of you also want to get the hell outta here, but have not found the opportunity?

Things I hate about New York:
1. It's ugly (it only looks nice from a bird's eye view; walking down the street, every other block is disgusting)
3. The number of annoying people (the rude, the uneducated, the gangster wannabe's, and everyone in between)
4. Transportation (Traffic is bad, subway is slow, can't get out of the borough via bus and its even slower)
5. It's the farthest place from nature

I lived in NYC my whole life till I sold my house last year and moved to a 1 cow town in upstate NY and am going out of my mind with boredom. It's a cultural & social wasteland. I don't miss the noise, traffic, pollution, living expenses, crowding, arrogant thugs, belligerent drivers with the boommobiles but I do miss the simple things of civilization:
Street lights. It's nice to be able to walk around at night without a flashlight.
Selection. Everything from sex to shoes in every color & size. Countless stores to choose from. Here it's Walmart or Office Depot.
People. It's nice to see a wide variety and not run into the same people all the time.
Entertainment. The options are endless. Here they end very quickly. I love tennis. I used to go down to just about any courts and pick up a game. Here it's slim pickins.

I'm banging my head against the wall waiting to get out. I'm sick of trees. I miss Queens. I want to hear some low flying aircraft!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:02 PM

30 posts, read 125,345 times
I miss the greenery in NY too. It is very hard to escape to nature without sitting in traffic for an hour or more. In San Francisco, a 30 minute drive north can put you at John Muir park and redwoods. In Manhattan, a 30 minute drive north barely gets you to White Plains.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,909 times
What are you talking about? There is plenty of greenery in New York, and even in New Jersey too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennly View Post
I miss the greenery in NY too. It is very hard to escape to nature without sitting in traffic for an hour or more. In San Francisco, a 30 minute drive north can put you at John Muir park and redwoods. In Manhattan, a 30 minute drive north barely gets you to White Plains.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennly View Post
Okayyyy, its true you can get to WP in 30 minutes, but you can also get to Bear Mountain, Harriman Park and other really quiet and out of the way places in about 30 to 40 minutes. Just take the GWB to the Palisades Parkway.

But it seems the OP is complaining about "city" issues, so why would he then want to relocate to more cities, including a seemingly congested one in SF?

The situation geos finds himself in sounds typical for many New Yorkers who move away. That's why I'm thinking just 30 miles away so I can still participate in NYC when I want, plus hopefully live around both nice big parks and hiking trails, but also some malls for goodness sake. I sure can't see myself going to Walmart for my clothes LOL.

I lived in Bermuda for a year and 1/2 and really enjoyed the peace and beauty, though its very small and got old fast. What's cool is that it had a lot of people from all over living there, plus the whole reggae vibe which was big in the mid-90's when I lived there.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,967 times
I moved to Newport News/Hampton VA back in 2004. If I had the money to come back to NY, I would be on the first thing smoking back. I don't like the fact that last call is at 1:30 AM, By 8:30 it's quiet out here, you have to drive everywhere especially if you want to go out and have a nice time, not to mention the abundance of chain corporations that's out here. I wish that I can click my heels 3 times and say there's no place like home. (NYC)
As much as I was eager to leave New Yawk, I regret it now.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,782 times
I love New York and can't imagine living anywhere else in the US. I love the freedom of not having to have a car. I love the energy of the city and all the possibilities and options that it has. In my opinion it's a beautiful city, not perfect, not pristine, but alive. I also love the greenery of NYC. Central Park has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. I can walk less than 10 minutes and be at the NYBG, another of the world's most beautiful places.

However, good luck to you on finding your place!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
i want to move BACK to NY lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City