Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Damn you caught feelings? I just pointed out a fact and now you're acting like a female. The way you wrote that statement leads to false information. It came out in this manner, that a smaller portion of BK has more homicides in total than the entire Bronx. To correct any misunderstandings I pointed out that north Brooklyn has the same pop. as the entire Bronx. So if your agenda was to hype BK up, then I had to bring you back down. You know what you meant when you wrote that statement. Let's be fair here.

Anyways I know Brooklyn has arguably the worst hoods in the city. I never stated otherwise. All I say is that Bronx hoods are also in contention.
a man, all i was doing was continuing what you started, but you forgot that with your ongoing feelings angers about the bk vs. bx debates. I pointed out that bx has more total crime,so, you know, relax. Please be calm, i don't want you tossing and turning at night about some guy on the internet claiming that north bk is worst that bx.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
a man, all i was doing was continuing what you started, but you forgot that with your ongoing feelings angers about the bk vs. bx debates. I pointed out that bx has more total crime,so, you know, relax. Please be calm, i don't want you tossing and turning at night about some guy on the internet claiming that north bk is worst that bx.
Yeah, I was really gonna lose some sleep over it. Thanks for finally coming back to reality.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I am still not clear why the crime rates in these particular Brooklyn areas are above and beyond everyone else..and seem to be getting worse not better. On a seperate note, I was with a girl from East New York this weekend, and she was really not like a human being, but a caricature of what you would expect from someone in ENY. She wore a pink jumpsuit and she was obese, she spoke about 10x more ghetto than Little Kim (the 1994 little Kim, not the Dancing With the Stars one), and she talked about all the time she spent on the floor of her apt hiding from gunshots flying everywhere on her block/neighborhood.

Her accent was even rough for me to listen to, and it was clearly different than the Southern Bronx/Bronx in general. It sounds like these parts of BK have an entire culture in and of themselves, which is even more hood than every other hood. Am I way off base here? I just dunno what is going on out there or why the crime is spiraling there vs everywhere else.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
I been saying that for the longest time, East NY and Brownsville is a jungle. Not everybody there talks like that but I been to Detroit, Philly, and Chicago and East NY in itself can match with all of them. I left there for a reason and I would never move back. When I visit, I make sure I go from car to building and vice versa cause that place is a mess. I honestly dont know why its still like that but things never change for some reason over there.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:34 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah, I was really gonna lose some sleep over it. Thanks for finally coming back to reality.
no problem. it was tough, but i made it.

anyway, @sobro yo some girls are just really ghetto. and you'll find them around. i usually see people like that in the hoods we normally know as bad. the strongest brooklyn accent ive heard yet was from brownsville. Crown heights has more carribean accents.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM

@ overdose I really think its because not even immigrants are moving into the area. The only people living there is the poor Black and Hispanic people that have lived there for generations and continue breeding poverty and crime. No parent or one parent and beyond broke so the kid rebels, joins a gang, impregnates a girl, leaves her to fend for herself and now the cycle has once again continued and in that area it is really hard to stay away from it because it is all over the place. You have to hide in your homes or hang out somewhere else cause there is nothing good about those neighborhoods of EAst NY and Brownsville. It may not look as bad as it did in the 80s and 90s but the ghettoness and crime is still there. They can build and make 3 apartment houses in the former vacant lots and try to put birthday candles on crap but at the end of the day its still gonna be crap and some serious work needs to be put into those two neighborhoods for them to ever change.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Lmao @ Birthday Candles.

Lmao @ SobroGuy's story.

I can't with this thread, it's too funny.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
In my opinion crime is on par with the last few years, and I don't feel any more/less safe than before, although there has been an increase in murders (I think 3 or 4). Nevertheless, it really depends who you ask: A drug dealer, those involved in the drug trade, or those trapped generationally in housing projects may believe we are in WW3 and everyone will be dead within a week.

The vast majority of residents, however, are not involved in illicit activities, realize that crime is still occurring, but are able to live generally safely and go about their lives by taking simple precautions and using basic common sense (hanging out a the bodega at 3am with the homies is not the best idea, no matter how friendly/chill they are).
I notice very few crackheads or as I used to call them walking zombies on the street. Has the decline in crack use lowered the crime rate?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
actually, I know some immigrants that live in East New York. I can't say much for brownsville but East NY is pretty big. I usually hear the worst stories from around the pink houses area. Basically, I would say East NY has a chance at changing, but brownsville would need alot of work.its not like they were always the worst. Crown Heights was worse than Brownsville in 1990.
Yeah exactly. The worst neighborhood in Brooklyn back during the crack era was Bushwick.

Brownsville and East NY just happen to stay more or less status quo.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Again im not comparing or having a contest with anybody but anyone who says that East NY or Brownsville haven't historically been the worst areas in brooklyn have either lived in Bushwick or crown heights their whole lives without stepping foot into East NY and Brownsville or plain out dont know what they're talking about. These neighborhoods have consistently ranked among the bottom five for the last 25 years. ENY has led NYC numerous times in worst crime rate. Where Bushwick maybe was number one or two in the early 90s, these areas have been plagued with nothing but corrupt cops and violence for years more than any other neighborhood ive seen in NYC. I have family in both Southsides (Queens and Bronx) I live right by Bushwick and had friends that lived over there (it was bad dont get me wrong but it was just like ENY back in the 90s) and Ive been in Crown Heights where the Jews live now and there were always good parts and terrible parts. The worse parts obviously outweighed the good ones but you had a few safe zones. Taking a tour of the extensive neighborhood of ENY I dont think there is one safe zone in the neighborhood. Starrett city may have expensive apartments but that area is filled with hood rats also cause those are rent-controlled apartments and unless you're either dead broke or rich you wouldnt live there. And considering the area im assuming theres not that many rich folks in those PJs. Im telling you, both areas need major work. They've tried to fix ENY, tried to put buildings in the empty burned down apartment building lots to make the neighborhood cleaner. They've tried putting a mall in there and creating jobs, they've shut down all the bad schools and have replaced them with charter schools, and still the neighborhood is just as bad as its always been.

Call me a pessimist but although I dont regret where I came from, I dont see either neighborhood changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City