Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 PM

54 posts, read 78,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I went into a "deli" in Tennessee and asked for a tuna salad on whole wheat. They basically gave me a thin layer of mayonnaise and a thin layer of canned tuna (not even the whole can!), unmixed, on bread. It certainly wasn't the massive, tasty tuna salad sandwich I was used to in Astoria. To boot, it was $6! Ridiculous.
Thats pretty funny. How could a Tuna Salad sandwich not be standard nationwide?? Tuna, mayo, celery, maybe onions. Mix together. Put on bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM

199 posts, read 521,459 times
I agree! I was thoroughly confused.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,312,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
A couple of years ago, I was in San Francisco staying at a large hotel on Union Square. I went into a coffee shop across the street and asked for a light coffee. The woman behind the counter stared at me as if I was babbling in Mongolian. She thought that there was some kind of new diet coffee she hadn't heard about.

I said to her, "You mean you've never had a New Yorker come in here before?" Apparently, people in other cities don't know what we mean by 'regular' or 'light' coffee.

(By the way, NYer75, it's true. Most of the rest of the country actually thinks that Domino's is what pizza should be! All we can do is shake our heads in resignation).
years ago i was in new orleans with a friend, and we went into a 'deli' a few blocks off of bourbon st to get some coffee...

we go in and rattle off our order and the woman behind the counter goes 'you guys must be new yorkers... you're the only people who know how to order a cup of coffee'

Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
Nothing compares to NY.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
One other amusing little episode from that trip I took to San Francisco...

I was walking around town in a gray t-shirt with blue script letters reading 'Brooklyn Dodgers.' Some guy came up to me with a puzzled look on his face and said, "But the Dodgers play in Los Angeles." (I told him he had a lot to learn!)

Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,099,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
I went into a pizzeria in Boston and asked for "a slice". The guy behind the counter asked me "what kind"?

I have never been asked that question in 25+ years in NY.

I also had a bagel in DC that wasn't bad, per se, it just wasn't a bagel. Just a puffy piece of bread with a hole in it.
This annoys me to no end. I'm not "out of state", i'm upstate and every time i want a slice of pizza up here, i have to remind myself or correct myself by specifically asking for a CHEESE slice.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I went into a "deli" in Tennessee and asked for a tuna salad on whole wheat. They basically gave me a thin layer of mayonnaise and a thin layer of canned tuna (not even the whole can!), unmixed, on bread. It certainly wasn't the massive, tasty tuna salad sandwich I was used to in Astoria. To boot, it was $6! Ridiculous.
This wouldn't happen to be a deli chain called Noshville, would it? Despite, the name, that place is a really bad imitation of NY Deli/Diner.

You can get Jewish/Kosher Deli cuisine just as good as NY in Los Angeles and Montreal.

A Carvel opened in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, but it didn't last. There was another Carvel for a while in the LA area, but I think it closed too.

All over the US now you can find bagels. Even big chains like Dunkin Donuts make them, but no one knows how to make them right. You can forget about trying to find bialys, the cousin to a bagel.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
There's definitley a plethora of NY lingo you don't hear anywhere else for whatever reason.

Standing ON line...wait, what?

Bagel with schmear. (hmm?)

Coffee light or "with moomoo"

Call a quickie mart a bodega on the west coast and you're likely to get some blank looks also.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 PM

199 posts, read 521,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This wouldn't happen to be a deli chain called Noshville, would it? Despite, the name, that place is a really bad imitation of NY Deli/Diner.
Nope. Nixon's.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
In Astoria the other day, my friend ordered a "black coffee" and the waitress brought it to her black, as she requested. After the waitress left, my friend said, "she didn't bring me any sugar." I said, "that's because you asked for it black." Friend said, "black coffee just means no milk" but she went to find the waitress and apparently the waitress told her "I didn't bring you any sugar because you ordered your coffee black."

So...if you order "black coffee" in a restaurant, should you still expect to be brought sugar packets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City