Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 PM

54 posts, read 78,888 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a trip to Maine and while up there stopped at a very nice place called Mr. *&^%$. Since an egg and cheese on a buttered whole wheat everything bagel is a death row meal of mine, I had to see how Maine did it since the state is on my possible relocation list.

Bad news.

Is it really NYC water that makes a bagel? I hate to put places down, but WOW. What a difference.

Anyone else shoot for a NY-style anything and been disappointed? How about delighted??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 AM

84 posts, read 292,890 times
Yes, it really is the water! NOTHING like NYC pizza or bagels.

After I first moved back to Minnesota I was at a local fair and asked for a "black and white" shake. They stared at me like I was nuts.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitNY View Post
I just returned from a trip to Maine and while up there stopped at a very nice place called Mr. *&^%$. Since an egg and cheese on a buttered whole wheat everything bagel is a death row meal of mine, I had to see how Maine did it since the state is on my possible relocation list.

Bad news.

Is it really NYC water that makes a bagel? I hate to put places down, but WOW. What a difference.

Anyone else shoot for a NY-style anything and been disappointed? How about delighted??
Years ago I went to Daytona Beach and couldn't find good pizza. The third try we went to a place called New York Pizza. It was AWFUL. Turned out the owners were a couple of Arab immigrants who'd come to this country, spent four months in New York City, then went to Daytona and opened a pizza place. Finally someone tipped us off to another pizza place on a side street. The pizza was good, and it turned out the owner was originally from Queens.

Bagels, I don't know. I can't remember ever having a good bagel anywhere outside the NYC metro area. They usually seem to be just doughnut-shaped pieces of bread.

And once, in Colorado, I had lasagna made with cottage cheese instead of ricotta.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:49 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Pizza, any Italian meal, Chinese food, Greek food, Puerto Rican food, Hot Dogs, Bagels, Heroes (Subs), Beef Patties (Pizza joint patties), Burgers, cheesecake, Pastrami and Rueben sandwiches.

UGH! I've been disappointed SO many times!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Montreal definitely has better smoked meat and bagels than NY. Also Hershel's Deli in Philly is even better than anything in Montreal or NY.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,354 times
If you order something that is not typically ordered...
you usually don't get fresh goods.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
A couple of years ago, I was in San Francisco staying at a large hotel on Union Square. I went into a coffee shop across the street and asked for a light coffee. The woman behind the counter stared at me as if I was babbling in Mongolian. She thought that there was some kind of new diet coffee she hadn't heard about.

I said to her, "You mean you've never had a New Yorker come in here before?" Apparently, people in other cities don't know what we mean by 'regular' or 'light' coffee.

(By the way, NYer75, it's true. Most of the rest of the country actually thinks that Domino's is what pizza should be! All we can do is shake our heads in resignation).

Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,432 times
I went into a pizzeria in Boston and asked for "a slice". The guy behind the counter asked me "what kind"?

I have never been asked that question in 25+ years in NY.

I also had a bagel in DC that wasn't bad, per se, it just wasn't a bagel. Just a puffy piece of bread with a hole in it.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I agree. Most of the New York iconic food cannot be replicated well outside of New York. The big clue is to always avoid something out of town that uses the term "New York Style." That's a sure sign for trouble.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM

199 posts, read 521,214 times
I went into a "deli" in Tennessee and asked for a tuna salad on whole wheat. They basically gave me a thin layer of mayonnaise and a thin layer of canned tuna (not even the whole can!), unmixed, on bread. It certainly wasn't the massive, tasty tuna salad sandwich I was used to in Astoria. To boot, it was $6! Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City