Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
just talking to my BF in Pittsburgh he is 34 NEVER heard of a black and white...lol COOKIE I had to tell him its a cookie and still he said he never seen or heard of it. Im Mostly in Lake Tahoe, NV and Studio City Ca and a few times I saw them at Walmart but they were mini's and did not have the same texture...FAKES LOL
The texture of the ones I remember from Rochester is kind of dense and chewy and maybe a little almost-crunchy around the edges. Is that the same cookie as you are talking about?

The same bakery of my childhood also sold triangular lenten doughnuts called fasnacht kuechles. I haven't seen those anywhere else. Do you have them in NYC? Also, another bakery in my neighborhood made wonderful thick-crusted pizza. Pizza from bakeries is something I haven't seen in any of the other states I have lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,939,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The texture of the ones I remember from Rochester is kind of dense and chewy and maybe a little almost-crunchy around the edges. Is that the same cookie as you are talking about?

The same bakery of my childhood also sold triangular lenten doughnuts called fasnacht kuechles. I haven't seen those anywhere else. Do you have them in NYC? Also, another bakery in my neighborhood made wonderful thick-crusted pizza. Pizza from bakeries is something I haven't seen in any of the other states I have lived in.
Black & White. Yes same as you described. Bakery pizza that sounds good never heard of that.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
I never cared much for black and white cookies. For that reason, I had no idea they were just called "black and whites."

I find it VERY difficult to get rainbow cookies outside NYC metro, and if I do see them, they're pre-packaged at the supermarket and don't taste good at all. Nothing beats fresh rainbow cookies from an italian bakery, mmmm.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Love rainbow cookies and your absolutely right if they are not fresh they dont taste as good.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Sabrett onions in sauce that they put on hotdogs in NYC......outside of ny you get RAW white or red onions that are diced........one stand in NV told me to just put ketchup on my dog and add onions...I WAS LIKE NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT the same buddy....... Nothing like a NYC Dirty Water Dog.....
Good one. They sell the Sabrett's onions in a jar now at supermarkets, so living out of the city I can still enjoy a dog from time to time with sauteed onions.

Another thing you don't find that much outside of the northeast are the sausage and pepper heroes that they typically serve during the feasts and festivals in September.

Italian pastries like Cannoli's are also very hard to find outside of NYC, Boston and Philly, and often when you do, they taste horrible.

I cannot for the life of me find a decent loaf of Semolina Italian bread outside of NYC!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,184 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned HOW LONG it takes to get some of these fake NYC connoctions!

I can't tell you how many times I've been on vacation ordered my favorite hangover breakfast, ham egg & cheese on a roll, only to wait 15 minutes for a limp sorry excuse for a breakfast sandwich! How come my favorite deli can make one in 5 minutes but everywhere else it take 3x as long and is not even half as good?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Good one. They sell the Sabrett's onions in a jar now at supermarkets, so living out of the city I can still enjoy a dog from time to time with sauteed onions.

Another thing you don't find that much outside of the northeast are the sausage and pepper heroes that they typically serve during the feasts and festivals in September.

Italian pastries like Cannoli's are also very hard to find outside of NYC, Boston and Philly, and often when you do, they taste horrible.

I cannot for the life of me find a decent loaf of Semolina Italian bread outside of NYC!
Try finding a zeppoli as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM

You can never find a fried egg on a roll in the west coast...I ordered it and since it was a OFF the menu item they wanted to charge me $4.50...when I asked why one egg on Dinner roll mind you not even a kaiser roll as they serve them in nYC was so much they told me because it was special order ...but, If i ordered a egg separate and a roll separate it would have been $2.50 With Hashbrowns..go figure.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
LOL, this thread is pretty amusing. I think a lot of what of is being said could also apply to other places as well - San Diego with fish tacos, Chicago with Italian beefs, New Orleans with Cajun food......etc. I can understand your frustration though, because there do seem to be a lot of different types of foods that are NYC specialties.

There are a couple things that you New Yorkers say that sound very odd to me. One is saying "on line" instead of "in line" and the other is saying "to stay" instead of "for here." Also, I think most people in other cities would just call bodegas "corner stores" or "convenient stores," although if you were talking to a bunch of people from the suburbs they might be confused to the concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgedPolaris View Post
Although I don't think it tastes bad, I absolutely cringe when people from Michigan and Ohio say "a coney" in reference to a hot dog overloaded with condiments. (Can I get two sauerkraut franks to stay?) Also the term "party store" makes my eyes roll. My casual usage of bodega had people in Florida, Ohio, and Michigan confused. Poor kids need to come to the city.
As an Ohio native I can assure you that "party store" and "a coney" are Michigan things. Maybe people in Toledo might relate being so close to Michigan, but nobody around where I grew up uses those terms.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM

depending on where you buy a sandwich...Hero, Hoagie, Sub, Grinder, Wedge, Po' Boy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City