Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times

Advertisements

What in the world is a black and white shake? I never heard of such a thing. Is it a NYC thing? Recent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Kanish....... potato kanish ask for one of those out side of NYC ....now I am getting hungry for one.
You call yourself a New Yawka and you can't even spell knish?

I grew up in NY and now live in Denver. I have found "NY quality" bagels and pizza here.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
okay.... xo xo xo and i see your point about confusion.. do you ever put French Dressing on your Farmer or pot cheese...I do and it taste good.

I have not tried it with French Dressing, but I will! Thank you for the suggestion. It sounds good. When I went to Brooklyn College, I would bring one of those small packages of Farmer Cheese with me everyday for lunch. They used to be 8 oz. Now they are smaller. I would bring a plastic spoon and sit in Boylan Hall and just eat the whole thing for lunch. I lost 18 lbs. doing that and probably decreased my chances of getting osteoporosis, lol.

As for the knish, I am sorry that they no longer sell them from carts on the street. Now, I am getting a craving for a Dr. Brown's. Patterson better not tax Dr. Brown's.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
What in the world is a black and white shake? I never heard of such a thing. Is it a NYC thing? Recent?
I believe it is of NYC origin, and it's a layered milk shake where there are alternating layers of vanilla and chocolate shake mixture. There is also a variation known as the black and white soda, which has seltzer and chocolate syrup as opposed to a chocolate milkshake layer. The soda is also not layered, with chocolate on the bottom and vanilla on the top, whereas the black and white shake is layered with vanilla on the bottom.

They date to the soda fountain days of the early Twentieth Century, IIRC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I believe it is of NYC origin, and it's a layered milk shake where there are alternating layers of vanilla and chocolate shake mixture. There is also a variation known as the black and white soda, which has seltzer and chocolate syrup as opposed to a chocolate milkshake layer. The soda is also not layered, with chocolate on the bottom and vanilla on the top, whereas the black and white shake is layered with vanilla on the bottom.

They date to the soda fountain days of the early Twentieth Century, IIRC.
Thanks, I never heard of such a thing, and I grew up on LI.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,939,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I have not tried it with French Dressing, but I will! Thank you for the suggestion. It sounds good. When I went to Brooklyn College, I would bring one of those small packages of Farmer Cheese with me everyday for lunch. They used to be 8 oz. Now they are smaller. I would bring a plastic spoon and sit in Boylan Hall and just eat the whole thing for lunch. I lost 18 lbs. doing that and probably decreased my chances of getting osteoporosis, lol.

As for the knish, I am sorry that they no longer sell them from carts on the street. Now, I am getting a craving for a Dr. Brown's. Patterson better not tax Dr. Brown's.
'

MISTAKE...RUSSIAN DRESSING! LOL love Dr. Browns

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Thanks, I never heard of such a thing, and I grew up on LI.
I think that they're a rediscovered element of culinary history right now. I only know about them because I had a great uncle who was obsessed with them, among other soda fountain drinks.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
lol sorry am i missing something...You said no one has ever asked me for a black and white........they are cookies that are half choclate and have white iccing.....larger then the average cookie...an very famous not only in new york and are called black and white cookies.........unless I am not reading it Black and white right...lol

You can get Farmers cheese and pot cheese in many states and countries. I have lived in several states and seveal countries and LOVE farmers cheese and Pot cheese and have not had a problem finding it. NOw if your talking a particular brand......Not sure were Friendship delivers to in the USA or if NYC is the only market. I use to use their Sour cream which i found as the best untill i started shoping at Trader joe and started using their brand.

Rye bread not hard to come by in the west coast at any proper bakery fact i just bought a loaf stright from the bakery oven at Paul Schat Bakery in Carson CIty NV............that is a very lil town near Lake Tahoe NV Walmart has it but its not fresh as you would find in a local bakery.When I am in Studio City [la] you can find Jewish rye EVERYWHERE better ones come from the local bakeries..... and Pot cheese and famers cheese in LA is on almost every diner or cafe menu
Black and whites! When I was a kid in Rochester, the bakery in our neighborhood sold these, but we called them half and halfs. I now live half a continent away. I haven't seen or had one in decades, I forgot all about them until I saw your post! They were my favorite, I must get to NYC soon and get a black and white! Yum!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,939,044 times
just talking to my BF in Pittsburgh he is 34 NEVER heard of a black and white...lol COOKIE I had to tell him its a cookie and still he said he never seen or heard of it. Im Mostly in Lake Tahoe, NV and Studio City Ca and a few times I saw them at Walmart but they were mini's and did not have the same texture...FAKES LOL

Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
I lived in Maine for a little while for college, and upstate NY. Let me tell you, these locals in Maine thought the local pizzeria was the bomb. I kept telling them they really need to travel and try REAL italian, lol. It was disgusting to me. I refused to eat pizza when I was in both places for college. They were all saying how it was arrogant of me how I was telling them they didn't eat real bagels, pizza, or italian. I told them if they're from NY, they would understand, lol. The seafood was good up there, but that's about it. And oh yeah, I never once saw an italian bakery anywhere in this country I've traveled. MAYBE one here and there in south Florida, but not nearly as many/as good as you can find here.

Speaking of south Florida, my parents live there (not by choice--my dad's job). We went to this NY bagel place that was recommended to them. They had been trying to find good bagels for a while. We went way out of our way to go there while I happened to be down there, and it was pretty gross. Before we tried them, we spoke to the owner and he said that it's the NY water that makes the bagels. He made bagels while back home, but it wasn't the same in FL because of the water. Tell that to the people from out of state on the General US forum here and they think you're crazy. They don't believe that the water influences food that much (they all think the pizza in Texas and Georgia is just as good as in NY).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City