Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times

Advertisements

Houston has "Jason's Deli", a chain of sandwich shops.
Can't they be sued for false advertisement? LOL
That place is NOTHING like any Deli in NYC...even the bad ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times
Another thing I had to get used to.....
I have the habit of saying "to stay", when ordering McDonald's for example.

When I say "To stay"...I get these freaking BLANK looks. Then they repeat "For here or to go".
Then I give them a BLANK look...just to mess with them. And they repeat again, "For here or to go". LOL!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 AM

93 posts, read 308,019 times
I grew up in Seattle, and we had this chain out there (I think in Cali too), called Noah's Bagels. Growing up I always thought they were amazing, then I moved out here. Now they are nothing special, the rest of my family still loves them though

Also in Seattle there are a few bagel shops that are decent, but the thing is, you never see "New York" anywhere in the places.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM

332 posts, read 525,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
In Astoria the other day, my friend ordered a "black coffee" and the waitress brought it to her black, as she requested. After the waitress left, my friend said, "she didn't bring me any sugar." I said, "that's because you asked for it black." Friend said, "black coffee just means no milk" but she went to find the waitress and apparently the waitress told her "I didn't bring you any sugar because you ordered your coffee black."

So...if you order "black coffee" in a restaurant, should you still expect to be brought sugar packets?

I think everywhere I've ever been (as in just browsing around never been to NY though want to some day) black coffee means just that--the customer is specifically requesting no cream, no sugar, no nothing. I've even ran into some people who have considered it an insult if it is insinuated that they need any thing at all added to their pitch black dark coffee.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
There's definitley a plethora of NY lingo you don't hear anywhere else for whatever reason.

Standing ON line...wait, what?

Bagel with schmear. (hmm?)

Coffee light or "with moomoo"

Call a quickie mart a bodega on the west coast and you're likely to get some blank looks also.
Also starting your order with "can I get a ...."

Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM

142 posts, read 418,787 times
I'm from down south so I know how you feel but from another point of view. I can't stand seeing the New Yorker's interpretation of soul food and cajun food. Just because something has a little kick to it they label it "cajun." And your version of "sweet tea" really cracks me up!

Awe New York...gotta love it!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM

142 posts, read 418,787 times
I love this thread...I am figuring out ALOT...I'm always confused when the order taker asks me if I want "to stay" I'm like.....ummmm for here??????

Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Seems every single place I've been out of state...California, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, to name a few, have a "New York Pizza" joint. Expecting the worst and hoping for the best, I'm always left wondering why it's so difficult to make a decent pizza. None of them ever come close. Most of them don't even sell pizza by the slice!

In defense of Massachusetts, they do have some excellent pizza places of their own.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 58,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
I'm from down south so I know how you feel but from another point of view. I can't stand seeing the New Yorker's interpretation of soul food and cajun food. Just because something has a little kick to it they label it "cajun." And your version of "sweet tea" really cracks me up!

Awe New York...gotta love it!
Agreed, when I went on a trip to NOLA years ago, I got to taste the real stuff and nothing compares. Such is true with many things, though.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 PM

30 posts, read 58,407 times
The first thing I noticed that just wasn't around in any shape or form outside of NYC were my beloved bialys. Also Egg bagels elsewhere are hard to find. I lived in FL for a few years, and although you could get a good bagel down there, I wouldn't dare call it perfect.

With pizza, you just have to deal with what's out there. The first time I ordered a white pizza and some rando (New York style) pizza joint in FL, what I got was an abomination I don't even want to recall, but then I found a little joint called Bruno's that made a good one.

Although I don't think it tastes bad, I absolutely cringe when people from Michigan and Ohio say "a coney" in reference to a hot dog overloaded with condiments. (Can I get two sauerkraut franks to stay?) Also the term "party store" makes my eyes roll. My casual usage of bodega had people in Florida, Ohio, and Michigan confused. Poor kids need to come to the city.

I accept there's certain things you can't get here though that are delicious. Like southern-style biscuits and gravy. Also my girlfriend who's from Ireland complains about how the "Sunday roast" isn't more popular here... but of course there are traditional Irish pubs which serve it. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City