Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 01:17 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't about the link, but the information. I don't get caught up in political labels, as many times they are misnomers and nothing on earth made by man is cut and dry. Again, do you have anything to back up your statement? Rhetoric is easy and anyone can say and do anything.
Click the link.

Its took me .0000000004 seconds to come up with the 80 billion in foodies money.

I think where you may have gotten cornfused about farm subsidies and foodies is the the USDA handles both. But of that 100 billion 80% is foodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I worked in the local mall during high school and college. I certainly paid income taxes. And no I didn't get most of it back. I also paid sales tax just about every day on drinks and/or meals. Mall employees actually keep some places afloat and are their best customers!

Thats pretty harsh then.

Both my teenage daughters do mall/fast food work while they are in school. Normal pay X legal hours. They pay like 3 bucks a week in taxes all of which they get back.

And they generally get discounts on food, like 2 bucks for a meal, so you got me on the 16 cents sales tax.

<edit> crap I only have one teenager left. Second to the last turned 20 yesterday.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Click the link.

Its took me .0000000004 seconds to come up with the 80 billion in foodies money.

I think where you may have gotten cornfused about farm subsidies and foodies is the the USDA handles both. But of that 100 billion 80% is foodies.
That is national information, not state information and if we are going to go there, what about the wars that we are or were involved in? What alternatives do you suggest?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Thats pretty harsh then.

Both my teenage daughters do mall/fast food work while they are in school. Normal pay X legal hours. They pay like 3 bucks a week in taxes all of which they get back.

And they generally get discounts on food, like 2 bucks for a meal, so you got me on the 16 cents sales tax.

<edit> crap I only have one teenager left. Second to the last turned 20 yesterday.
I wasn't just a teenager. I have paid my way through life since I was 17. Had my own car and my own insurance policy not under my parents by the time I was 17. Paid rent. Bought my own groceries, etc. My parents couldn't claim me on their taxes so I was paying the state of NY.

In college, I had 3 jobs and worked much more than a few hours. I regularly worked over 60 hours a week so yeah I paid income taxes. Never had a paycheck in high school or college where I only paid $3 in taxes. Would have been nice, but that didn't happen.

The only time I got meal discounts was when I worked in fast food and that was only when I was working. I worked 6-7 days a week and ate at least 2 meals a day at the mall. I definitely paid more than 16 cents in sales tax.

I was far from the only mall employee like this. Most people I knew had at least 2 jobs and worked at least 40 hours a week between the two.

If you count up the hundreds or thousands depending on the size of the mall and time a year, all those 16 cent sales tax collections you claim exist do, in fact, add up.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is national information, not state information and if we are going to go there, what about the wars that we are or were involved in? What alternatives do you suggest?
By state?? Thats on the first map you posted a link too. Just uncheck the SS, Medicare and Unemployment boxes. You'll see all the counties that have a welfare problem also have a city. Go figure right??

The wars?? Jesus you want me to solve a few thousand years of human history on an innerweb forum?? Well we are all addicted to oil so keeping it flowing at market prices is the price we pay for that. We don't like nukes and we hate fracking so sending kids to the ME is a fact of life for the time being.

The wars in Afghanistan and Libya and so on?? I have no idea what we are trying to do.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wasn't just a teenager. I have paid my way through life since I was 17. Had my own car and my own insurance policy not under my parents by the time I was 17. Paid rent. Bought my own groceries, etc. My parents couldn't claim me on their taxes so I was paying the state of NY.

In college, I had 3 jobs and worked much more than a few hours. I regularly worked over 60 hours a week so yeah I paid income taxes. Never had a paycheck in high school or college where I only paid $3 in taxes. Would have been nice, but that didn't happen.

The only time I got meal discounts was when I worked in fast food and that was only when I was working. I worked 6-7 days a week and ate at least 2 meals a day at the mall. I definitely paid more than 16 cents in sales tax.

I was far from the only mall employee like this. Most people I knew had at least 2 jobs and worked at least 40 hours a week between the two.

If you count up the hundreds or thousands depending on the size of the mall and time a year, all those 16 cent sales tax collections you claim exist do, in fact, add up.
Well at 17 they have all these laws and chit now days. Won't get into right or wrong of that. I was on my own at 17 but that was a farm and no laws applied.

With the standard deduction and school expenses being deductible you much have been cranking out some massive cash from a mall.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Well at 17 they have all these laws and chit now days. Won't get into right or wrong of that. I was on my own at 17 but that was a farm and no laws applied.

With the standard deduction and school expenses being deductible you much have been cranking out some massive cash from a mall.
There were laws when I was 17 as well. I stayed working in the mall for over 5 years. Even at 17, the laws were much less strict than nowadays and I worked a lot.

School expenses? Didn't get to deduct any school expenses. Yes, I had the standard deduction, but I still paid taxes. Lots of teens do. I didn't make massive cash. I worked a lot.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
By state?? Thats on the first map you posted a link too. Just uncheck the SS, Medicare and Unemployment boxes. You'll see all the counties that have a welfare problem also have a city. Go figure right??

The wars?? Jesus you want me to solve a few thousand years of human history on an innerweb forum?? Well we are all addicted to oil so keeping it flowing at market prices is the price we pay for that. We don't like nukes and we hate fracking so sending kids to the ME is a fact of life for the time being.

The wars in Afghanistan and Libya and so on?? I have no idea what we are trying to do.
I was talking about how the wars have an effect on the national economy.

I'm not seeing your welfare automatically equals city connection, as many rural counties lead the way in that regard. AFDC/TANF is just one aspect of welfare/entitlements, etc. I believe that it takes up 1-2% of the Federal budget.
Ezra Klein - Research Desk tallies: How expensive is welfare?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Well I don't have a way back machine but school expenses are a write off now.

28 hours is the max now. 28 x MW ain't in no danger of income taxes even in NY.

Spit out a baby or six and that zero taxes in can become a 7K "refund" easy.<---Federal problem.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Well I don't have a way back machine but school expenses are a write off now.

28 hours is the max now. 28 x MW ain't in no danger of income taxes even in NY.

Spit out a baby or six and that zero taxes in can become a 7K "refund" easy.<---Federal problem.

Didn't make minimum wage even back then. And yeah back then you paid income taxes to the state and feds. Might be different now. This was many years ago.

And there's no baby around here. Don't know anything about deductions for kids since we don't have any.

But I still don't understand how you can get back more than you have deducted from your paycheck. I know people who claim every person they know under the sun and get massive refunds. How can you get back $8-10 GRAND from the feds when you only paid $3K???? Is this that new math I keep hearing about? This shouldn't be allowed and doesn't help the finances of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York