Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesThatStartWithA View Post
So NY spends a huge disproportionate fortune on education, but arguably provides a slightly better education to students. This only makes the fact that so many people leave the state that much more concerning - the NY taxpayers are basically paying for knowledge and skills that don't stay in NY. One would think New Yorkers would be concerned about that.
I am not disputing that NY outside of urban city schools offers decent education for kids growing up. But as you know, after HS or college, many with bargaining power leave for better taxes and weather. I equate NYS Education for students to hooking up with the easy girl at the local bar. Get short term benefits but get no sense of accomplishment after the experience is complete. Therefore, you move on to a new girl with more resonance and better lifestyle for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I am not disputing that NY outside of urban city schools offers decent education for kids growing up. But as you know, after HS or college, many with bargaining power leave for better taxes and weather. I equate NYS Education for students to hooking up with the easy girl at the local bar. Get short term benefits but get no sense of accomplishment after the experience is complete. Therefore, you move on to a new girl with more resonance and better lifestyle for the long haul.
Yet, AZ's biggest metro is still behind any major Upstate metro in attainment. Even Tucson, which has a higher attainment percentage than Phoenix, would be behind the Albany and Rochester metros in that regard, with Syracuse not far behind.

As for the exporting aspect, NY already does that in terms of revenue in regards to what they get back versus what the state gives. So, imagine if NY wanted to claim States Rights in that regard? In turn, maybe the state could improve its economy. Many just move to adjacent states and work Downstate, as the NYC metro isn't contained within one state like most major metros outside of the Northeast.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yet, AZ's biggest metro is still behind any major Upstate metro in attainment. Even Tucson, which has a higher attainment percentage than Phoenix, would be behind the Albany and Rochester metros in that regard, with Syracuse not far behind.

As for the exporting aspect, NY already does that in terms of revenue in regards to what they get back versus what the state gives. So, imagine if NY wanted to claim States Rights in that regard? In turn, maybe the state could improve its economy. Many just move to adjacent states and work Downstate, as the NYC metro isn't contained within one state like most major metros outside of the Northeast.
No one is arguing that AZ's education K-12 is not as sound and invested in as NY's and just about any other state. Adults that have already completed their HS or College Education in NY usually leave as stated for better amenities in the Southeast or Southwest.

If this is your one argument to try to convince people to move to NY, fine. You have little else to stand on. The state is a mess and the debt in Albany is through the roof.

I will also add that despite what the media portrays "illegals in AZ", I find the many Mexicans I've met so far more hardworking and respectful than the loudmouthed blacks and other minorities on assistance cashing their checks at grocery stores creating a scene. They are quiet and polite. There is much more harmony amongst the minorities and the whites in AZ and believe me, I've traveled the whole state many times over this past year. From Nogales to Page. From Yuma to Winslow. From Kingman to Douglas. Spent time in all those spots to get a gauge of how smaller communities integrate here.

Last edited by magnum0417; 01-29-2013 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Yet NY State still added people, as did some Upstate metros.

Also, overall cost of living for comparable communities between Upstate NY and AZ is roughly the same. So, it sounds like a wash, give or take in that regard.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Also, overall cost of living for comparable communities between Upstate NY and AZ is roughly the same. So, it sounds like a wash, give or take in that regard.
They lost 3.4 mil and added 2.1 between 2000-10. Did you read the links ? Many of the additions are immigrants to NYC area too.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:

No doubt the additions are largely unplanned pregnancies by the welfare recipients from Upstate on down to Downstate. Which has played a role in the Medicaid costs being more than any other state. The net gain in pop growth was mostly prior to 2000 . Again, a net loss of 1.3 mil between 2000-10.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Since you have no firsthand experience living in AZ, I will tell you that I have more disposable income on an identical salary as I had in NY.

1) My SRP Electric Bill peaked at $210 this past summer. This time of year it's $80/month. In NY, my NYSEG Bill was pushing $300/mth during the winter.

2) Gas Prices are atleast $0.50 cheaper/gallon. I put on a lot of miles so it adds up.

3) Property taxes way less. A modest $100000 home in Tempe has just over $1000/yr in Property Taxes. Even with quarterly HOA's of $300, call it appx $2300/year. A $100000 home in Upstate NY runs fom $3000-$5500 depending on the municipality.

4) I pay 3.6% in state income taxes to assure I don't owe very much. Most opt for 2.7% but I do more for the reason I just mentioned. That 3.6 is still half of what NY gauged me for.

Now there is one exception. I pay about $50 more/mth in auto insurance for my two vehicles. Big deal. Still with salary being the same,one comes out way ahead in The Valley of The Sun.

Last edited by magnum0417; 01-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 PM

It is a more sprawled out area. So, I'm sure there is more driving. What about food costs?

Also, I believe that the property tax rate for a 100k home in much of Upstate NY is 2.5%, if I'm not mistaken. Arizona also has a personal property tax.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
It is a more sprawled out area. So, I'm sure there is more driving. What about food costs?

Also, I believe that the property tax rate for a 100k home in much of Upstate NY is 2.5%, if I'm not mistaken. Arizona also has a personal property tax.
Having purchased the home I originally rented upon moving here, I paid just shy of $1100 up front in property taxes. The ratio of $1000/yr in property taxes per $100000 appraised value is pretty commonplace here in The Valley. I recently purchased so what I paid was the property taxes.

You are given a registration tax on your vehicles based on the approximate value of your vehicles at DMV. It's a few hundred bucks for 2 years of registration on my 2 vehicles. Just emissions tests every 2 years and no auto inspections. That is another NY State racket. The State allows dishonest private auto mechanics to rake you over the coals with BS to fail your annual inspections in order to line their pockets. It's bureaucratic crap like that which makes many leave.

Food costs are comparable btw.

Last edited by magnum0417; 01-29-2013 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York