Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 21,413 times

Advertisements

ok....ok.

I guess nobody really has any positive comments to make me invest in this beautiful part of the country.
There are many negatives. I presented some too. I had hoped someone would counter it all with reasons to move, why they stay, enjoy it, etc.

I think people in states like NY seems to be getting really tired. It is the same old, same old story year after year. High taxes, not a good business climate, dysfunctional, unresponsive govt etc. Yeah, there are 19 million + people in the state, but the costs of providing public benefits is growing.

It seems like many folks are finding it harder to stay, esp when your friends or children have found better prospects. I get it.

Thank you for your comments.

If anyone wants to contribute without arguing about this place or that, feel free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 21,413 times
oh, btw...I have heard that the Twin Cities are great.
I was hoping to stay in the Northeast because I love the (little) mountains, the hilly terrain, lakes, the cold Atlantic beaches a few hours drive. I do love Colorado, too, but was thinking about having my little homestead with some land in the Northeast (if I can afford it) and then doing a bit of traveling.
Maybe I will think about towns in NH or Vermont.

open to suggestions.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM

93,786 posts, read 124,527,296 times
What are you actually looking for? There are plenty of nice small towns in Upstate NY, but what criteria are you looking for in a community?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,725,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstaters View Post
ok....ok.

I guess nobody really has any positive comments to make me invest in this beautiful part of the country.
There are many negatives. I presented some too. I had hoped someone would counter it all with reasons to move, why they stay, enjoy it, etc.

I think people in states like NY seems to be getting really tired. It is the same old, same old story year after year. High taxes, not a good business climate, dysfunctional, unresponsive govt etc. Yeah, there are 19 million + people in the state, but the costs of providing public benefits is growing.

It seems like many folks are finding it harder to stay, esp when your friends or children have found better prospects. I get it.

Thank you for your comments.

If anyone wants to contribute without arguing about this place or that, feel free.
CKThankgod is the Upstate NY Chamber of Commerce. You have one lover of Upstate. Land of high taxes, cold and snow and entitlements for the lazy since NY has plenty of available space in the dying towns to support welfare recipients that wore out their welcomes in less accommodating states.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
CKThankgod is the Upstate NY Chamber of Commerce. You have one lover of Upstate. Land of high taxes, cold and snow and entitlements for the lazy since NY has plenty of available space in the dying towns to support welfare recipients that wore out their welcomes in less accommodating states.
Do you have proof for the last part of your statement? Also, can you explain why your new state has a higher percentage of people in poverty, even given the new census measures?

Anyway OP, if you actually want input or help, let us know.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM

New York

Average pension benefits: $17,459 (19th lowest)
Total per pupil spending: $18,126 (the highest)
Medicaid payments per beneficiary: $9,057 (the highest)
Weekly wages covered by unemployment benefits: 26.9 percent (2nd lowest)
Number of months of TANF received: 43.9 (4th highest)
Average TANF cash assistance per month: $499 (6th highest)
New York spends more than $18,100 per student on education each year, which is more than any other state in the nation. Approximately $12,500 of this is spent on teacher salaries and benefits alone. The state’s Medicaid payments per beneficiary of $9,057 is the largest in the country, and more than $600 than the state that spends the second most. New York has the absolute highest rate of income inequality in the country. It also has the second largest state and local tax burden, and the third highest cost of living.

The states doing the most (and least) to spread the wealth - Business on NBCNews.com

Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Real glowing reviews I must Say Mr Chamber of Commerce . Phoenix is where most of the money is. Considering Tucson and Yuma have high Mexican populations and Indian Reservations make up a large part of the State, it does skew the numbers to our disadvantage. I sited the source above on pretty damning state of affairs for NY. So deal with it and stop polishing turds.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM

You do realize that cost of living should be factored in and is skewed by Downstate in regards to what you mentioned. Teacher's salaries are going to be high given the educational requirement and attainment in NY due to needing or getting a Master's degree. So, AZ isn't exclusive in terms of having things "skewed".

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do realize that cost of living should be factored in and is skewed by Downstate in regards to what you mentioned. Teacher's salaries are going to be high given the educational requirement and attainment in NY due to needing or getting a Master's degree. So, AZ isn't exclusive in terms of having things "skewed".
Considering I have the same salary and more money in my pocket, the choice to be in Arizona is easy. Quite sure 99 out 100 people would move to a state with a lower tax burden while keeping the same salary if they were given free relocation expenses. You see, people don't get big "entitlements" and people actually have to work for a living to live here. Not like NY where Medicaid benefits give the lazy no incentive to become taxpayers and actually pay copays for healthcare.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM

36 posts, read 74,025 times
So NY spends a huge disproportionate fortune on education, but arguably provides a slightly better education to students. This only makes the fact that so many people leave the state that much more concerning - the NY taxpayers are basically paying for knowledge and skills that don't stay in NY. One would think New Yorkers would be concerned about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York