Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,689 times

Advertisements

No red or xmas as I love my green chile too. Mr Maesta in Holbrook my favorite in state but nothing like El Patio and Monroe's in Albuquerque. Always stay in Uptown and the Sandia Tram is awesome too.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1439246236089.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 06:39 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
You are indeed okay! That is for a Liberal, sorry I had to throw that in. I've read your posts and found you to be very open minded. Are you sure you're a Liberal?
The Liberals out here do indeed complain about Arizona, it's culture, traditions and gun laws. I can't for the life of me understand why they remain here. California is close by and the politics there are more to their liking. Some do indeed want to change Arizona, so obviously they are met with hostility and resentment. Politics does play an important role in choosing where to live.

You seem to have a good attitude about it and a sense of humor so it's not surprising that you get along fine in a "Red" state such as SC.
When one of your ancestors was burned on a green stake in the 1500s for being a liberal, you know you come from a long line of them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Saunders

Well, needless to say, it wasn't too long after that the liberals in our family ended up here.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 08-22-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 PM

The crankiness from some of these NYers is that their beloved Buffalo Bills have the longest playoff drought in the NFL. Homerun throwback was their last appearance. Every year their fans rationalize how this is finally the year they make the playoffs.....Not with your QB situation. Now be good foot soldiers at Rich Stadium for Rex. Can't have a deFEETist attitude around that blowhard.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
You speak my language Ex NYer. That transition zone is pretty neat indeed along 93. The other aspect of the Mojave is WIND...That area on I 40 near Kingman I am always whiteknuckling it in the rig as it is always windy at their 3500ft in a canyon between the Hualapai Mts and the range that seperates Kingman from Golden Valley near Coyote Pass.

You are very well versed and am extremely impressed with your knowledge and travels here. I actually prefer the NE part of the state and Navajo Corridor the most as the red rocks and other neat formations just scream SOUTHWEST. I stayed in Mexican Hat because you can drink there. Had a $40 steak at Swingin Steak which was where I took the MH pic with our white truck. How Mexican Hat got its name right here.
You've just got to watch out for those Indians out on 160 between Tuba City and Kayenta. Some of the vehicles they drive look as though they came straight out of the boneyard. We saw one going about 10 miles an hour in a 75 mph zone. There must have been at least a dozen of them packed into that truck! Every window was smashed except for the windshield which was cracked to the point where they could hardly see out of it. The driver was hunched down over the wheel squinting through the only clear spot. The front fenders were barely hanging on, front tires wobbling, obviously the ball joints along with the upper and lower control arms were shot. Unbelievable! However it is their land and they have their own set of rules. The tribal police drove right passed them. I guess at that speed who could they hurt? You just have to pass them quickly watching out for parts that may fly off their vehicle. Wouldn't surprise me to see the engine lying in the middle of the highway. Staying behind them was certainly not an option.

We also saw a school bus dropping kids off in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Cute little kids with a helluva' long walk to who knows where? We could see a few trailers scattered a good distance away, probably their homes. Talk about impoverished people! Other than maybe Las Vegas, New Mexico have we ever seen such abject poverty. Well, maybe Gary, Indiana, South side of Chicago, Buffalo, N.Y. or Erie, PA. There were others to be sure but those places really stood out. One of the benefits of traveling cross country by rail is that you get to see the good, the bad and the ugly of America. Things you will never see by air.

Wind can indeed be very tiresome while pulling a trailer. I took tractor trailer lessons while living in New York. Going across the Newburgh/Beacon bridge with an empty trailer was quite a chore. It's like you're a great big fish with all these little fish swimming all around you. You can feel the wind wanting to push you over the side or over into the other lane where you can kill an awful lot of people. After 20 weekends I learned that truck driving was no way to earn a living.

I really enjoyed corresponding with you, we do indeed have a lot in common.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM

50 posts, read 47,822 times
I've been gone from NY a long time, but I am always and forever, a NYer.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootedwoman View Post
I've been gone from NY a long time, but I am always and forever, a NYer.
I was reborn in Arizona and am a proud Zonie. All my NY Giants gear is collecting dust and wear Cardinals and Chargers gear. I left the East Coast behind including my wardrobe.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
How many of you have moved away from New York, for what ever reason, miss it now? I lived in WNY and moved to Maryland I never thought I would be home sick to this extent, but I desperately miss home. Am I the only one?
Did whole adult life there and do not miss it. It isn't the same place. NYC. I only want to get to smaller and smaller towns when I can and trying.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
I miss the New York of 2007.

If I was still in my 20's I would move back to New York, but these days.. meh.

New York is a great city to be in your 20's. DC is a great city to be in your 30's.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:28 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
I grew up around Syracuse NY and do miss it. All of my family still lives there so luckily I get to visit fairly often since I'm only about 4 hours away.

I don't miss the taxes though

Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,637,561 times
I definitely miss New York and I miss it badly. If I can mentally reconcile myself to wanting to do the winters long-term, and find a transfer within my field that keeps my pay with greater future earning potential, if move back in a heartbeat. If never live in Elmira again, though!

I really am taken with Albany. I also like Syracuse, Binghamton, Rochester, and Buffalo, so those would be my choices. Binghamton is probably too much like Elmira for me, and Syracuse is not as large as the other cities, so those two are probably out. But I miss NY badly and I never thought I'd miss it so much when I left in '13. I went back to visit in '14, and didn't go again until this past Spring (Buffalo, Elmira, Syracuse). I definitely miss it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York