Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
That is way too much brown for my tastes in those pics. I'm sorry but there is no way I could deal with seeing that much brown landscape day after day. What is considered "green" in Arizona would be considered weeds here in WNY. There's very little that can match the beauty of WNY and the Finger Lakes.

This is my idea of a beautiful scenery . Canandaigua Lake which is only a few miles drive away for me.
It all depends on one's personal preference. Fortunately some of us have the freedom and opportunity to live wherever we want to live in this great big wonderful country. At least for us nothing matches the beauty of the American Southwest. Doesn't make us wrong or you wrong either. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I've always been fascinated with the Southwest ever since I was a kid. Now we live here.

One things for sure people from all over the country and world come out here to experience Arizona's natural wonders. Tourism is one of the state's major industries. There are RV's all over the place both from out of stater's and owned by many Arizonan's. It's not unusual to find homes with large RV garages. Got to be a reason why? Where I live downtown is packed with tourists. Sure New York has tourism but it is nothing like out here. New York City probably draws the most tourists but it's certainly not for the scenery.

We spend a lot of our time in the Sonoran Desert with it's strange and mysterious landscape. It's just such a different world. The rock formations, cave's, desert vegetation, reptiles, all of the ancient cultures that once survived there in it's harsh environment. A truly fascinating place indeed! If it weren't for the summer's heat we would probably have chosen to live there. But it's only an hour's drive and we go there whenever we want.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-22-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I am a fellow former NYer and now a proud Zonie. The climate you describe where you live here sounds like the Prescott area. I split time between Phoenix and Valle where we have some acreage near South Rim to change up the climate at the 6000 ft level so even cooler than Prescott's mile high climate. Prescott itself is very nice with victorian homes and plenty of greenery.Have a drink on Whiskey Row for me ! Unfortunately I find Prescott Valley and Chino Valley to be not that appealing. It is grassland and prefer either the ponderosa of Flag , the sagebrush of Valle, the red rock of Winslow/Holbrook or the saguaro of the lower desert. Grassland just is bland and not what AZ represents to me. With that said, unlike NY, our state income tax and property taxes are a fraction of NY and the overall COL for food and gas is comparable to Upstate NY cities. One can be comfortable every weekend of the year here with weather. The microclimates west of the Rockies is what make the Southwest for so ideal for many. Too hot, too cold ? No prob, drive 50 miles. No airplane required.

Last question...San Diego or Puerto Penasco for the beach ?

Last answer...Do not miss NY one bit. The last 4 years as a Zonie have been my happiest 4 years ever !! The nature and politics fits my personality. There are some successful NY folks but many in Upstate are there because they cannot afford to move, not because they do not want to move elsewhere.
Prescott Valley has too many developments and HOA's and too crowded for our tastes. It is flat and they just keep on building. Chino Valley? You can see everything that is in your neighbor's yard's as there are no trees or vegetation to block the views. Paulden is even worse. Not much too see along 89 north. 89A is a different story going through the Bradshaw Mountains all the way up to Flagstaff. Of course there's Sedona. There are some beautiful ranches along Williamson Valley Road between Prescott and Chino Valley right at the base of Granite Mountain. Prescott where we are is absolutely gorgeous. Four mild seasons, greenery if that's your thing. Personally I love the Sonoran Desert. Fortunately, they can't build too many more homes here because of the mountainous terrain. We're at 5500 ft.

We also go up to Seligman a lot to do some train watching off of old Rte 66 then take that out to Hackberry. The scenery is amazing especially the Grand Wash Cliffs, Peacock and Haulapai Mountains.

If you every get a chance you might want to take a ride to the Apache Trail which goes from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Dam. Take 17 to the 101 loop, get on 60 east to Idaho Rd.(88) in Apache Junction you'll go past the Superstition Mountains. The road will turn to dirt past Tortilla Flat. It will be the ride of a lifetime! The views of both Canyon and Apache Lakes along with the steep cliffs along the route will take your breath away. Absolutely stunning! To some the most scenic road in all of Arizona. You can then take 188 to 87 up on through to Payson, Pine and Strawberry then back up to "Flag". The entire trip can be done in a day from"Flag". Payson along the Mogollon Rim "rim country" is also pretty nice. It's pronounced "Muggyon".

Another nice ride although probably more out of your way is on the Joshua Tree Parkway (HWY 93) from Congress to Wikieup. Take 89 south to Congress get on 71 to 93 north. There's also an awesome scenic overlook past Yarnell near Glen Ilah. It's right off the highway in the side of the mountain overlooking the vast desert below. You can see practically forever. It's got to be a few thousand feet up, it feels as if you are flying. Unbelievable!

There's no shortage of places to see out here with such a wide variety of scenery. After all we are the 6th largest state.

The politics here was another big plus for us too. In the word's of the late Martin Luther King Jr. "Free at last. Free at last. Thank God almighty we are free at last!"

Arizona is indeed an awesome place! We are so freakin' lucky to be able to live here.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-22-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 10:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
It all depends on one's personal preference. Fortunately some of us have the freedom and opportunity to live wherever we want to live in this great big wonderful country. At least for us nothing matches the beauty of the American Southwest. Doesn't make us wrong or you wrong either. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I've always been fascinated with the Southwest ever since I was a kid. Now we live here.

One things for sure people from all over the country and world come out here to experience Arizona's natural wonders. Tourism is one of the state's major industries. There are RV's all over the place both from out of stater's and owned by many Arizonan's. It's not unusual to find homes with large RV garages. Got to be a reason why? Where I live downtown is packed with tourists. Sure New York has tourism but it is nothing like out here. New York City probably draws the most tourists but it's certainly not for the scenery.

We spend a lot of our time in the Sonoran Desert with it's strange and mysterious landscape. It's just such a different world. The rock formations, cave's, desert vegetation, reptiles, all of the ancient cultures that once survived there in it's harsh environment. A truly fascinating place indeed! If it weren't for the summer's heat we would probably have chosen to live there. But it's only an hour's drive and we go there whenever we want.
The desert would be interesting to visit for a vacation. As far as living there? No freak'n way. Like I said, all that brown and heat would drive me crazy after a while. It doesn't and never will equal the beauty that you can see on a daily basis in all seasons in Upstate NY with Lakes and green in Summer, Fall colors, and beautiful snow in the winter.

btw, this is the NY forum. If you don't like me saying that Arizona doesn't match Upstate NY's beauty, then go back to the Arizona forum.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
The desert would be interesting to visit for a vacation. As far as living there? No freak'n way. Like I said, all that brown and heat would drive me crazy after a while. It doesn't and never will equal the beauty that you can see on a daily basis in all seasons in Upstate NY with Lakes and green in Summer, Fall colors, and beautiful snow in the winter.

btw, this is the NY forum. If you don't like me saying that Arizona doesn't match Upstate NY's beauty, then go back to the Arizona forum.
btw, the subject of this thread is: "Do you miss NY now the you have left?" Obviously it's going to generate comments from those of us who've left. Or can't you figure that out? Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte? I really could care less about what your opinion is of Arizona or whether it would drive you crazy or not. I chose to live here and couldn't be any happier. That's all that counts. Having the freedom to live where one chooses to live is a wonderful thing. I'm certainly not going to live my life to suit the needs of "db2797". I'm not telling "db2797" to live your life to suit the needs of mine.

You really have no idea what you are talking about if you believe that the entire State of Arizona is as you've described. You like the beauty of upstate New York, fine. I love the beauty of Arizona and the American Southwest. What makes either you or I the ultimate authority as to which place is better? All I did was post as to why I love Arizona so much and why I don't miss New York. Again the topic of this thread. You just for some reason are not able to deal with it. You come across as an envious, petty, arrogant person. You've even elected a governor (Andrew Cuomo) who once boasted: "that people that do not think like him are not welcome in New York". All I can say is "good riddance" and I was glad to take him up on that.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times
Quote:
Prescott Valley has too many developments and HOA's and too crowded for our tastes. It is flat and they just keep on building. Chino Valley? You can see everything that is in your neighbor's yard's as there are no trees or vegetation to block the views. Paulden is even worse. Not much too see along 89 north. 89A is a different story going through the Bradshaw Mountains all the way up to Flagstaff. Of course there's Sedona. There are some beautiful ranches along Williamson Valley Road between Prescott and Chino Valley right at the base of Granite Mountain. Prescott where we are is absolutely gorgeous. Four mild seasons, greenery if that's your thing. Personally I love the Sonoran Desert. Fortunately, they can't build too many more homes here because of the mountainous terrain. We're at 5500 ft.

We also go up to Seligman a lot to do some train watching off of old Rte 66 then take that out to Hackberry. The scenery is amazing especially the Grand Wash Cliffs, Peacock and Haulapai Mountains.

If you every get a chance you might want to take a ride to the Apache Trail which goes from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Dam. Take 17 to the 101 loop, get on 60 east to Idaho Rd.(88) in Apache Junction you'll go past the Superstition Mountains. The road will turn to dirt past Tortilla Flat. It will be the ride of a lifetime! The views of both Canyon and Apache Lakes along with the steep cliffs along the route will take your breath away. Absolutely stunning! To some the most scenic road in all of Arizona. You can then take 188 to 87 up on through to Payson, Pine and Strawberry then back up to "Flag". The entire trip can be done in a day from"Flag". Payson along the Mogollon Rim "rim country" is also pretty nice. It's pronounced "Muggyon".

Another nice ride although probably more out of your way is on the Joshua Tree Parkway (HWY 93) from Congress to Wikieup. Take 89 south to Congress get on 71 to 93 north. There's also an awesome scenic overlook past Yarnell near Glen Ilah. It's right off the highway in the side of the mountain overlooking the vast desert below. You can see practically forever. It's got to be a few thousand feet up, it feels as if you are flying. Unbelievable!

There's no shortage of places to see out here with such a wide variety of scenery. After all we are the 6th largest state.

The politics here was another big plus for us too. In the word's of the late Martin Luther King Jr. "Free at last. Free at last. Thank God almighty we are free at last!"

Arizona is indeed an awesome place! We are so freakin' lucky to be able to live here.
Apache trail my friend...specifically Fish Creek Hill between Tortilla Flat and Apache Lake.

Many in Phx wish they could live in Prescott city proper full time. A little cold in the winter for me but could easily live there. I find 3000-5000 ft altitude the banana belt for year around weather without the extremes of Phx or Flag. I cut up to Ash Fork all the time on 89 to avoid some of the accidents that slow you down on 17...Paulden to Ash Fork is oh hum scenery besides the views of Bill Williams Mt but can cruise along easy enroute to Valle.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1439344568948.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Our RV along 93 through the joshua trees. It is really only a 20 mile stretch from Date Creek Ranch to the Santa Maria River but enjoy it a lot. The other patch is north of Kingman near Dolan Springs on Pierce Ferry Rd.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-20150525_135917.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Arizona has 10 ecological zones second only to CA. Let people think it is one big barren desert...we have enough transplants who come and complain because they confine themselves to Phoenix. I have been just about everywhere. From Yuma to Kayenta. From Douglas to Kingman. I prefer Laughlin to Vegas too.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-20150523_135315.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Apache trail my friend...specifically Fish Creek Hill between Tortilla Flat and Apache Lake.

Many in Phx wish they could live in Prescott city proper full time. A little cold in the winter for me but could easily live there. I find 3000-5000 ft altitude the banana belt for year around weather without the extremes of Phx or Flag. I cut up to Ash Fork all the time on 89 to avoid some of the accidents that slow you down on 17...Paulden to Ash Fork is oh hum scenery besides the views of Bill Williams Mt but can cruise along easy enroute to Valle.
So you've been there! I love it! Fish Creek Canyon is indeed unbelievable!

In Prescott we average about 50 degrees in the day low 20's upper teens at night. With the low humidity it feels much warmer especially in the sun, heavy clothes are a thing of the past. We average about 24 inches of snow per season accumulated over several snowstorms. A typical storm is about 6 inches. It all melts within a day or two. The roads are never filthy as they were in New York. It really is the ideal climate.

So glad that you love Arizona as much as we do. I really haven't heard too many people complain about life in Arizona, both native and transplants. It's as if you're on a permanent vacation.

We've pretty much covered the entire state too, more times than we can count and keep going back for more. At least for us there really is nothing like it! I'm sure the same for you. Thanks for sharing the pictures! Not to disappoint you, but it all looks familiar which is not a bad thing.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-22-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 11:29 AM

Love Tucson too and all of SE AZ. Windy Point lookout up the Catalina Hwy to 9000 ft Mt Lemmon.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-fb_img_1439506908644.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
So you've been there! I love it! Fish Creek Canyon is indeed unbelievable!

In Prescott we average about 50 degrees in the day low 20's upper teens at night. With the low humidity it feels much warmer especially in the sun, heavy clothes are a thing of the past. We average about 24 inches of snow per season accumulated over several snowstorms. A typical storm is about 6 inches. It all melts within a day or two. The roads are never filthy as they were in New York. It really is the ideal climate.

So glad that you love Arizona as much as we do. I really haven't heard too many complain about it. It's as if you're on a permanent vacation.
Most come here voluntarily who enjoy nature and the outdoors. Sedentary types never appreciate it as they confine themselves to the city and strip malls. I am thrilled you share my enthusiasm. All the best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York