Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times

Advertisements

Not at all. It's been 5 years. Wish we could have left New York sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
I lived in Queens (9yrs) moved to Long Island lived there till late 30s and then moved upstate NY. Out of all places I love queens for many reasons fond memories, Long Island memories the beach going to concerts, NYC, and great food! Upstate is where my heart is love the wildlife, open space, farms, lived in a small to medium sized town in Livingston county, NY and Since then dying to get back or to some place similar. Moved for family to NC mountains not a great move for a flatlander People are nice but there's nothing to do food stinks the population lives on fried and fast food and thinks a steak dinner for 5 bucs should be something it's not. Alot of poverty, drugs, gambling and strays in small towns in NC around here and too many mountains! Most of the baptist people around here are very strict so not too fond of the Catholics. Upstate NY's food where I was at was not great but was doable I think its the queens/NYC/Long Island contaminated water that makes the food great haha.. I am disappointed that you can't find a dirty water hot dog in NYC anymore like you used to. Wish upstate had a real Chinese, bagel shop and Boars Head. Oh and better Pizza. Sure in some more bigger cities they have some. But the area far out weighs the food. I think the higher cost of NY is worth it in alot of respects but difficult for many to have a good life with the way jobs are. Wish it was different. But to me there is nothing more beautiful than upstate NY! Even my die hard southern loving boyfriend that was a Yankee hater has admitted how beautiful it is and misses it too. And has obviously changed his mind about us Yankees
Maybe the problem is you're moving around too much?

Every place is going to have some problems and all places have pluses and minuses.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Not at all. It's been 5 years. Wish we could have left New York sooner.
Agree.
I miss CT a little (where I lived most of my life), but not NY one bit.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM

401 posts, read 552,411 times
Lived in Philadelphia for 4 years. When I often came back to NYC, I get into that NY mentality and act like a total jerk when I walk. Bump into people to get to Penn Station as quickly as possible for the next train, jaywalk like there's no tomorrow. I get into that NY state of mind pretty quickly. I always wanted to live in NYC at some point down the line. I'm still very young, early 20s, so maybe one day. I was born in NYC but raised outside of it, in suburbia Long Island. My parents experienced late 80s/early 90s NYC and said it has changed a lot. It also was a lot more affordable back then too and far less violence. They were in a good part of NYC but the neighboring neighborhoods were pretty-crime ridden during the Crack Epidemic.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM

139 posts, read 360,165 times
It's been over 8 years and I don't miss NY State one bit. Good riddance.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
I haven't made the long distance moves that most of you have BUT after living in Northern NJ for 50 plus years by the GW Bridge (as NYC as one can get without living there) and then almost 38 months ago moving to Southwestern NJ (Philly Market with a weird twist) it couldn't be more (much worse) different for me. People tell me not to move to the south as it would be worse of what I don't like about this area to be explained a bit below.

I've never ever would've believed that in my almost 38 months here that a majority of people here are phony, petty and have NO word as they'll say they'll call you right back but instead either get that call in a week or two or none at all and if they do call NO apologies for anything and if they say it it's not genuine which is only one example. The professionals down here are not professional compared to NYC or NY state and points north and east of there. Here in SW NJ they can act friendly to you one minute and do a 180 the next second. Only about 105 -110 miles away from where I used to live and it couldn't be more different on the most part - just unbelievable to even believe it till I'm living in this "S" hole. In fact someone from this site told me when I first moved down here that this area is full of "A - holes" - imho he couldn't be more correct. Of course there's some nice people and exceptions but it's small exceptions.

In the NYC region/market areas one knows where they stand, down here in SW NJ you just don't. I've run into many former NYC/Northern NJ residents who mimic my experiences and thoughts and many of which are planning their escape.

I'm going to leave this area and my little bit of family (especially my Mom and Stepdad on limited income) I had to relocate here from Northern NJ because they couldn't hack it financially anymore hence the move down here and I came along ( what a mistake I made). I'm looking within the week or two make a road trip into NY state from Albany to Plattsburgh and most points west and see if I can find a likable place for me to reside that has some jobs - the people I know won't be a problem as NY-ers are THE BEST!!! If I live there I just would need to find someone to clear the snow from my car in the winter months as I have two severe degenerative back discs that makes it tough to do for myself without me suffering the horrid consequences.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I haven't made the long distance moves that most of you have BUT after living in Northern NJ for 50 plus years by the GW Bridge (as NYC as one can get without living there) and then almost 38 months ago moving to Southwestern NJ (Philly Market with a weird twist) it couldn't be more (much worse) different for me. People tell me not to move to the south as it would be worse of what I don't like about this area to be explained a bit below.

I've never ever would've believed that in my almost 38 months here that a majority of people here are phony, petty and have NO word as they'll say they'll call you right back but instead either get that call in a week or two or none at all and if they do call NO apologies for anything and if they say it it's not genuine which is only one example. The professionals down here are not professional compared to NYC or NY state and points north and east of there. Here in SW NJ they can act friendly to you one minute and do a 180 the next second. Only about 105 -110 miles away from where I used to live and it couldn't be more different on the most part - just unbelievable to even believe it till I'm living in this "S" hole. In fact someone from this site told me when I first moved down here that this area is full of "A - holes" - imho he couldn't be more correct. Of course there's some nice people and exceptions but it's small exceptions.

In the NYC region/market areas one knows where they stand, down here in SW NJ you just don't. I've run into many former NYC/Northern NJ residents who mimic my experiences and thoughts and many of which are planning their escape.

I'm going to leave this area and my little bit of family (especially my Mom and Stepdad on limited income) I had to relocate here from Northern NJ because they couldn't hack it financially anymore hence the move down here and I came along ( what a mistake I made). I'm looking within the week or two make a road trip into NY state from Albany to Plattsburgh and most points west and see if I can find a likable place for me to reside that has some jobs - the people I know won't be a problem as NY-ers are THE BEST!!! If I live there I just would need to find someone to clear the snow from my car in the winter months as I have two severe degenerative back discs that makes it tough to do for myself without me suffering the horrid consequences.
I hate to say this, and I hope you don't take it personally, but I don't think you'll be happy no matter where you move to.

We moved all the way across the country to Arizona not knowing a single soul. Left our family friends and everything that we were familiar with as living conditions in New York were intolerable. It was literally becoming impossible to maintain some semblance of a standard of living if we remained there. Because of the state and local governments insatiable demands for more, more, more. Of course our core Conservative principles didn't help either living in a "Blue" state. It's just so nice to be able to walk into a store and be able to buy things that you would like to have and not just based on need.

How successful or how happy you are in your new location all depends on how much you've researched your adopted new location and how you are towards those who live there. If you move to a new location and hate it the moment you arrive, that hatred will be projected upon others. Even though you may not even realize it.

We were as happy as pigs in poop to have finally been able to live out our dream to be permanently out of New York State and living in Arizona. We still are. Everyday we get up we still can't believe we're here. We always wake up in a good mood. I believe because of this we've had absolutely no problems making new friends. It's almost as if we've lived here and known these people all of our lives. This is where we truly belong.

We still have our friends and family back east (love em' all) and still are in contact with them. For the most part they have told us how lucky we are to have left. A few would never move, but the rest are just biding their time for when they can get out of there also. My sister just bought a place in Florida, when the kids are finished with school that will be their new residence. A few of our other friends are just waiting to retire. We are lucky to be self employed and had the opportunity to live wherever we chose. We're still in Arizona and have no desire to live or go anywhere else. Why would we? This place has everything that we could ever want.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
Quote:
I hate to say this, and I hope you don't take it personally, but I don't think you'll be happy no matter where you move to.

We moved all the way across the country to Arizona not knowing a single soul. Left our family friends and everything that we were familiar with as living conditions in New York were intolerable. It was literally becoming impossible to maintain some semblance of a standard of living if we remained there. Because of the state and local governments insatiable demands for more, more, more. Of course our core Conservative principles didn't help either living in a "Blue" state. It's just so nice to be able to walk into a store and be able to buy things that you would like to have and not just based on need.

How successful or how happy you are in your new location all depends on how much you've researched your adopted new location and how you are towards those who live there. If you move to a new location and hate it the moment you arrive, that hatred will be projected upon others. Even though you may not even realize it.

We were as happy as pigs in poop to have finally been able to live out our dream to be permanently out of New York State and living in Arizona. We still are. Everyday we get up we still can't believe we're here. We always wake up in a good mood. I believe because of this we've had absolutely no problems making new friends. It's almost as if we've lived here and known these people all of our lives. This is where we truly belong.

We still have our friends and family back east (love em' all) and still are in contact with them. For the most part they have told us how lucky we are to have left. A few would never move, but the rest are just biding their time for when they can get out of there also. My sister just bought a place in Florida, when the kids are finished with school that will be their new residence. A few of our other friends are just waiting to retire. We are lucky to be self employed and had the opportunity to live wherever we chose. We're still in Arizona and have no desire to live or go anywhere else. Why would we? This place has everything that we could ever want.
Wow, this guy is still writing the same stuff. What is it two years, already?.

You also have 115 degrees several days in a row, brown as far as the eye can see, and serious water issued down the road.

I just spent a glorious weekend in the northern Catskills, hiking through the woods with beauty all around me. Saw lots of happy people there. Much nicer than desert brown, and weather where you can cook an egg on the sidewalk.

Normally, I would not be posting this. But on and on and on about how much New York sucks. Give it a rest, and enjoy your 116 degree day.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Wow, this guy is still writing the same stuff. What is it two years, already?.

You also have 115 degrees several days in a row, brown as far as the eye can see, and serious water issued down the road.

I just spent a glorious weekend in the northern Catskills, hiking through the woods with beauty all around me. Saw lots of happy people there. Much nicer than desert brown, and weather where you can cook an egg on the sidewalk.

Normally, I would not be posting this. But on and on and on about how much New York sucks. Give it a rest, and enjoy your 116 degree day.
Oh shut up! I have every right to post just as much as you do. You've posted a hell of a lot more times than I have. Can't you read what the topic of this thread is? There is such a thing as the 1st Amendment or does that only apply to people that think like you? Or to those who only extoll the virtues of living in your miserable little state? You really are some piece of work. Maybe it's people like you who suck who've made New York such a miserable place to live in. You certainly do nothing to improve the reputation that many throughout the country have of New Yorkers. But you're just not that smart enough to figure that out. You do not like what I have to say? Well just don't read it. Pretty simple. Or haven't you been able to figure that out either?

But keep on posting you only continue to prove how truly arrogant, ignorant and stupid you really are. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. There's a lot more to Arizona than Phoenix. At least I have lived in both places and if it was anything like you described, I'd be out of here in a New York minute. You see I'm not stuck here just as you are probably stuck in New York and are envious of those who have the freedom to live wherever they choose.

How's that for a New York response?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-15-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-15-2015, 03:19 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,464 times
Quote:
Oh shut up! I have every right to post just as much as you do. You've posted a hell of a lot more times than I have. Can't you read what the topic of this thread is? There is such a thing as the 1st Amendment or does that only apply to people that think like you? Or to those who only extoll the virtues of living in your miserable little state? You really are some piece of work. Maybe it's people like you who suck who've made New York such a miserable place to live in. You certainly do nothing to improve the reputation that many throughout the country have of New Yorkers. But you're just not that smart enough to figure that out. You do not like what I have to say? Well just don't read it. Pretty simple. Or haven't you been able to figure that out either?

But keep on posting you only continue to prove how truly arrogant, ignorant and stupid you really are. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. There's a lot more to Arizona than Phoenix. At least I have lived in both places and if it was anything like you described, I'd be out of here in a New York minute. You see I'm not stuck here just as you are probably stuck in New York and are envious of those who have the freedom to live wherever they choose.

How's that for a New York response?
You just violated your *own* point! You tell someone to "shut up" and then immediately use the 1st Amendment to defend your own point of view....

Aside from what the poster said that you were responding to, you know, the area you live in ( desert southwest ) has just as many minuses and pluses to it as NY has. People all have different points of view, and for various reasons that are personal to just them. Name-calling just because someone has a different point of view than you, gets you nowhere.

Case in point about comparing AZ to NY: I have an older brother who's been "rotting" as he'd put it, the last 25 yrs of his live in Las Vegas. He moved there 25 yrs ago because it was booming, and 12 yrs ago, had enough money saved up to put down for a condo. Well, a dozen years later, his condo of course ( NV and AZ were hit hardest ) is underwater by more than double what it was originally worth, he works double what he was 12 yrs ago, just to keep his same income to pay off that condo, is stunned why people would ever want to move there, when the state ( and region ) is about out of water, and can't say one positive thing about the area ( this includes AZ ) without going into a swearing tirade of insults directed at both NV and AZ itself.

He's been trying like hell to get out of there since the mortgage meltdown, and though Vegas itself has recovered a bit since then, he's still aiming to get out there as fast as possible, but his move is dependent on my sister-in-law passing her physical therapist exam credits that she received in SE Asia, and only WA state and NY state will allow those credits to transfer. No other state will do that.

He's told me that he'd switch places with *anyone* who lives on the east coast, and he said he'd gladly shovel 3 feet of snow than "scorch in hell".

As for myself, I'm heading to Syracuse, NY in 10 days to check the area out. I'm in Portland and really want to live somewhere that experiences 4 seasons, the cost of housing is dirt-cheap compared to here, and a city where it won't take me up to an hour to drive ( I drive for a living ) 10 miles through the middle of the city anytime between 1-6pm. I'd miss the rain we get here ( though now we're in our driest, hottest summer ever on record ) , and the year-round mostly-green landscape, but after 45 yrs on the west coast, I'm tired of it and really need a change myself.

I realize Syracuse gets a ton of snow, and isn't exactly the safest city in the Northeast, but if things there don't pan out, I'll continue looking for the amenities in a place I'm seeking.

My point is, as the previous poster said, there is good and bad to anywhere. It's what you make of where you're living is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York