Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Well let's see what he listed:
  1. Stress level- sorry westerner's are much more laid back in general. Especially Coloradans(may have something to do with mmj)
  2. Taxes- sorry lower house prices cannot offset the high property taxes. Maybe if houses in WNY were $1.00 the taxes would be a value.
  3. Government corruption. I think WNY/NYS are trying to battle Chicago for the most morally and politically corrupt.
  4. Sunny 300 days a year. Nope NY doesn't have that.
  5. Insurance half. " "
  6. Utilities half. " "
  7. Taxes 1/3 of NY. lower property, income and sales, gas taxes are also less meaning much lower gas prices.
You can keep posting the same stuff about Upstate/WNY nobody buys it that's why there's about 5 new posts a year from people who are thinking about moving to upstate and where I live now gets about 5 a day.
I'm going to focus on property taxes specifically. Lets say that in a Buffalo suburb you decide to purchase a fairly nice 4 bed 2 bath 1700 sf residence for aprox. $135,000. Your annual property taxes would be around $3,900.

Now, take a similar 4 bed 2 bath 1700 sf residence in a Chicago suburb. You may be able to get it for $270,000. I don't know what property tax rates are there, but for the sake of arguement, lets say they are around $1,900.

So you've got a property that you are saving around $2,000 annually in property taxes on. Feels great, right? Wonder how many years of savings are going to make up for the extra $135,000 you had to shell out for the same kind of property. Are you sure it doesn't offset??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could find all of what you said in your first paragraph in Upstate NY actually.
Where are you in Upstate New York where there's 300 days a year of sunshine? There must be another New York somewhere other than the USA!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I'm going to focus on property taxes specifically. Lets say that in a Buffalo suburb you decide to purchase a fairly nice 4 bed 2 bath 1700 sf residence for aprox. $135,000. Your annual property taxes would be around $3,900.

Now, take a similar 4 bed 2 bath 1700 sf residence in a Chicago suburb. You may be able to get it for $270,000. I don't know what property tax rates are there, but for the sake of arguement, lets say they are around $1,900.

So you've got a property that you are saving around $2,000 annually in property taxes on. Feels great, right? Wonder how many years of savings are going to make up for the extra $135,000 you had to shell out for the same kind of property. Are you sure it doesn't offset??
Ever been to Chicago? Buffalo has nothing compared to Chicago. Things to do. Places to see. Fantastic shopping and dining.

Comparing Chicago to Buffalo is like comparing a stick with a hiccup. Buffalo is a dump. There's a reason the houses are so cheap. The majority of them aren't new. Buffalo has the butt of jokes for decades. They're working hard on maintaining that streak!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Where are you in Upstate New York where there's 300 days a year of sunshine? There must be another New York somewhere other than the USA!
Read the post after that one.

Also, the point of the Buffalo post was to show how focusing on taxes is shortsighted due to other aspects of cost of living. Buffalo actually has more to offer than people realize.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Read the post after that one.

Also, the point of the Buffalo post was to show how focusing on taxes is shortsighted due to other aspects of cost of living. Buffalo actually has more to offer than people realize.
The majority of people have no interest in living in Buffalo and it's more than just the taxes. You could give me a mansion and pay my taxes until I die and I wouldn't live in Buffalo. You could pay me a million dollars a year and I still wouldn't live there.

I used to live near Albany and I now live in South Carolina. My NY house was 14 years old, 1800 sq ft, 1 car garage, 100x80 lot, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath, full basement. The appraisal when I left was for $206K. It sold for $190. The updated assessment is $233K and it was $226K when I left. We sold the house last July. The property/school taxes were $6800. And the school district SUCKED! They didn't have buses and have too many schools.

My brand new, custom built house in SC is 2000 sq ft, 2 car garage, 80x170 lot, 4 bed, 2 bath. We also have a laundry room, breakfast room, attic, and huge master suite. We didn't have those in the NY house. This house cost $180K to build last April. We're in the best schools in the county and some of the best in the state. Our taxes this year were $326.

Why would anyone live in NY when you could live somewhere else with better weather for far less? Groceries and gas also cost considerably less here. DMV fees are hundreds less. Car insurance and home owners insurance are less.

We have the ocean and mountains within 3 hours. Rarely see snow. It's been lovely not having to deal with the snow, ice, and salt covered cars rusting away.

I can't imagine why people are leaving NY in droves. Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. We finally stopped the financial hemorrhage. And life is much better. We got to take an amazing vacation this past year. First time in several years. Already planning this years trip!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
The majority of people have no interest in living in Buffalo and it's more than just the taxes. You could give me a mansion and pay my taxes until I die and I wouldn't live in Buffalo. You could pay me a million dollars a year and I still wouldn't live there.

I used to live near Albany and I now live in South Carolina. My NY house was 14 years old, 1800 sq ft, 1 car garage, 100x80 lot, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath, full basement. The appraisal when I left was for $206K. It sold for $190. The updated assessment is $233K and it was $226K when I left. We sold the house last July. The property/school taxes were $6800. And the school district SUCKED! They didn't have buses and have too many schools.

My brand new, custom built house in SC is 2000 sq ft, 2 car garage, 80x170 lot, 4 bed, 2 bath. We also have a laundry room, breakfast room, attic, and huge master suite. We didn't have those in the NY house. This house cost $180K to build last April. We're in the best schools in the county and some of the best in the state. Our taxes this year were $326.

Why would anyone live in NY when you could live somewhere else with better weather for far less? Groceries and gas also cost considerably less here. DMV fees are hundreds less. Car insurance and home owners insurance are less.

We have the ocean and mountains within 3 hours. Rarely see snow. It's been lovely not having to deal with the snow, ice, and salt covered cars rusting away.

I can't imagine why people are leaving NY in droves. Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. We finally stopped the financial hemorrhage. And life is much better. We got to take an amazing vacation this past year. First time in several years. Already planning this years trip!
The majority of people huh? So you've polled everybody to come to this conclusion? Here is a news flash. Different people have different tastes. Many people like having four seasons, so having snow is favorable to many. I can't go skiing easily in SC so it is not a place for me to live. There are tradoffs to living anywhere. Down in SC you will have lower taxes and warm weather. But a place like Buffalo will give you better amenities and better schools in the metro area. Pluses and minuses to anywhere you go. Different people have different tastes.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
The best schools in the state of SC is kind of like saying the least smelly porta-john on the summer construction site

Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:

Oh, I forgot.....You are the one that moved from Schenectady to Upstate SC(which is probably the best part of that state). From what I remember, you are comparing apples to oranges. There are plenty of areas in NY that are more affordable and are on par with the COL in Upstate SC. Schenectady I believe has a limit as to who gets bussed and who doesn't. I know the district has seen better days, but it still has some good prgrams from what I've seen like the IB program.

Also, you are telling a part of the truth, as Upstate SC does get cold in the winter. Maybe not below freezing as much, but it does get pretty cold in that part of the state. Trust me, as my mom is from Mullins and she said it would get cold there from time to time and that's near Myrtle Beach. Then, what about taxes on vehicles or homes that cost more than homes in Upstate NY for a comparable size.

SC schools, while they have gotten a bit better, are still relatively on the low end in terms of graduation rates.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot.....You are the one that moved from Schenectady to Upstate SC(which is probably the best part of that state). From what I remember, you are comparing apples to oranges. There are plenty of areas in NY that are more affordable and are on par with the COL in Upstate SC. Schenectady I believe has a limit as to who gets bussed and who doesn't. I know the district has seen better days, but it still has some good prgrams from what I've seen like the IB program.

Also, you are telling a part of the truth, as Upstate SC does get cold in the winter. Maybe not below freezing as much, but it does get pretty cold in that part of the state. Trust me, as my mom is from Mullins and she said it would get cold there from time to time and that's near Myrtle Beach. Then, what about taxes on vehicles or homes that cost more than homes in Upstate NY for a comparable size.

SC schools, while they have gotten a bit better, are still relatively on the low end in terms of graduation rates.
That's not me! I didn't live in Schenectady and I don't live in Upstate South Carolina. I live a few hours from there actually. Maybe figure out who you're talking about before you start running your mouth.

Yes, we pay a yearly vehicle tax in SC. My two year registration is NY on my Monte Carlo was over $225. My yearly registration in SC is $25 plus the tax. The tax this year was $113 and it will be less next year. It decreases every year. We also have a sales tax cap when you purchase a vehicle. The max you pay is $300. I just bought a new car and I paid $300 in sales tax to SC. In NY, I would have paid $2160. HUGE difference!

And cold here is NOTHING like cold in NY! Where I am, it rarely goes below freezing at night in the winter. Normally, we get snow once every 6-8 years. This winter has been crazy. It's been crazy everywhere.

All of NY's schools are spectacular either. I've seen reports where NY is 34th in the nation for schools. Until you're #1, don't judge everyone else. And parents everywhere need to step up and be involved in your child's education or else we're going to end up with a nation full of dummies in all 50 states.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The majority of people huh? So you've polled everybody to come to this conclusion? Here is a news flash. Different people have different tastes. Many people like having four seasons, so having snow is favorable to many. I can't go skiing easily in SC so it is not a place for me to live. There are tradoffs to living anywhere. Down in SC you will have lower taxes and warm weather. But a place like Buffalo will give you better amenities and better schools in the metro area. Pluses and minuses to anywhere you go. Different people have different tastes.
Obviously, the majority of people on earth don't want to live in Buffalo or else they'd be there! Buffalo's population has also been on a decline for a long time.

You can go skiing in NC and get there in 3 1/2 hours where I live. I couldn't go skiing in my backyard in NY either. Had to go up to the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts. None were within an hour of my house.

What in Buffalo gives you better amenities than all of South Carolina? We have mountains, the ocean, beaches, rivers, parks on the rivers, an amusement park, a zoo, an aquarium, tons of historic places to see, state parks, historic boats, etc. When Buffalo has tourism numbers that match either Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head, let me know.

Sorry, but not every single school in Buffalo is awesome. This is true of every school district. Most of what kids across the country learn is mandated by the feds and the stop no child left behind crap. Nice name for it since more kids are left behind now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York