Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The best schools in the state of SC is kind of like saying the least smelly porta-john on the summer construction site
I said one of the best schools in the state. Have you been to the schools in SC? Until you have don't comment. Don't act like all 117 school districts in NY are the best in the world. They're far from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's not me! I didn't live in Schenectady and I don't live in Upstate South Carolina. I live a few hours from there actually. Maybe figure out who you're talking about before you start running your mouth.

Yes, we pay a yearly vehicle tax in SC. My two year registration is NY on my Monte Carlo was over $225. My yearly registration in SC is $25 plus the tax. The tax this year was $113 and it will be less next year. It decreases every year. We also have a sales tax cap when you purchase a vehicle. The max you pay is $300. I just bought a new car and I paid $300 in sales tax to SC. In NY, I would have paid $2160. HUGE difference!

And cold here is NOTHING like cold in NY! Where I am, it rarely goes below freezing at night in the winter. Normally, we get snow once every 6-8 years. This winter has been crazy. It's been crazy everywhere.

All of NY's schools are spectacular either. I've seen reports where NY is 34th in the nation for schools. Until you're #1, don't judge everyone else. And parents everywhere need to step up and be involved in your child's education or else we're going to end up with a nation full of dummies in all 50 states.
How long do you have to pay $300 dollars for your new vehicle? Also, what about crime rates, commutes and home prices? Even certain foods tend to cost more in the South.

You can't do anything about the weather, but it's not like the 4 seasons are necessarily a hindrance either. Also, for skiing, there are plenty of places to ski close by that aren't necessarily in the mountains, which aren't that far from the Albany area anyway. Mountain Profile Pages

As for schools, NYC influences the numbers greatly. So, that is why the ranking is lower. I agree with the parents aspect.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Obviously, the majority of people on earth don't want to live in Buffalo or else they'd be there! Buffalo's population has also been on a decline for a long time.

You can go skiing in NC and get there in 3 1/2 hours where I live. I couldn't go skiing in my backyard in NY either. Had to go up to the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts. None were within an hour of my house.

What in Buffalo gives you better amenities than all of South Carolina? We have mountains, the ocean, beaches, rivers, parks on the rivers, an amusement park, a zoo, an aquarium, tons of historic places to see, state parks, historic boats, etc. When Buffalo has tourism numbers that match either Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head, let me know.

Sorry, but not every single school in Buffalo is awesome. This is true of every school district. Most of what kids across the country learn is mandated by the feds and the stop no child left behind crap. Nice name for it since more kids are left behind now.
How do you compare Buffalo to 3 other areas? Who does that? Much of what you mentioned is in or very close to the Buffalo area too.
Niagara Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

http://www.artpark.net/

Canal Fest of the Tonawandas Inc

Welcome To The Buffalo Zoo

Darien Lake Resort: Amusement Park, Hotel, Campground, & Water Park

Niagara Falls Vacation | Niagara Falls State Park

Buffalo Beaches near Buffalo NY and Toronto Onatario Beaches

Aquarium of Niagara

Official Maid of the Mist Website

Historic Lewiston, NY

http://www.nps.gov/thri/index.htm

Holimont - Ski Resort

Holiday Valley | Ski Snowboard Golf Resort & Conference Center Buffalo NY

This doesn't even get into sporting events, the arts, museums and it's location as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
Quote:
Obviously, the majority of people on earth don't want to live in Buffalo or else they'd be there! Buffalo's population has also been on a decline for a long time.

You can go skiing in NC and get there in 3 1/2 hours where I live. I couldn't go skiing in my backyard in NY either. Had to go up to the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts. None were within an hour of my house.

What in Buffalo gives you better amenities than all of South Carolina? We have mountains, the ocean, beaches, rivers, parks on the rivers, an amusement park, a zoo, an aquarium, tons of historic places to see, state parks, historic boats, etc. When Buffalo has tourism numbers that match either Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head, let me know.

Sorry, but not every single school in Buffalo is awesome. This is true of every school district. Most of what kids across the country learn is mandated by the feds and the stop no child left behind crap. Nice name for it since more kids are left behind now.
Not true at all. A person can want to live in an area and not be able to due to economic reasons. The area does not have jobs. I've come across plenty of people all over who either wanted to move back to Buffalo, did not want to leave Buffalo or were interested in living there after visiting. They could not live there due to the area not having jobs in their field. It's not as simple as picking up and moving because you have a desire to be somewhere.
In NY you don't have to travel 3 hours to go skiing. Both Buffalo and Rochester have multiple mountains within an hour driving distance.
And if you compare city to city, Buffalo has better amenities than most places in SC. When I speak of amenities, I am talking about things on a daily basis, not tourism. Every single school in Buffalo is not awesome but overall, it has many good schools in the metro area. Schools in the bigger metro areas in the state of NY tend to be better overall than many areas of SC.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Quote:
I said one of the best schools in the state. Have you been to the schools in SC? Until you have don't comment. Don't act like all 117 school districts in NY are the best in the world. They're far from it.
Actually I lived in and around Raleigh, NC for 13 years and did some work in SC around Myrtle Beach as well as the Columbia. The Raleigh area of NC had decent schools and had some really great ones that rivaled many districts in NY. But they were schools in areas where property taxes weren't as low as you have mentioned about; but even then they were hit and miss.

I'm not one of those people who say "the high property taxes in NY are worth it because our schools are so much better"...because that's not necessarily true and the taxes are definitely too high. However, the extremely low taxes in much of the south do come with the flip side of generally under-funded, over crowded, and less competitive schools. Especially since unlike NC, SC has a much higher proportion of retirees vs young families; thus schools aren't a priority for many of the communities down there.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The majority of people huh? So you've polled everybody to come to this conclusion? Here is a news flash. Different people have different tastes. Many people like having four seasons, so having snow is favorable to many. I can't go skiing easily in SC so it is not a place for me to live. There are tradoffs to living anywhere. Down in SC you will have lower taxes and warm weather. But a place like Buffalo will give you better amenities and better schools in the metro area. Pluses and minuses to anywhere you go. Different people have different tastes.

Exactly! We moved to WNY because of the snow. Granted some people do move away because of it but in this economy no one is moving solely because they don't like the weather. Not everybody loves heat or the lack of 4 seasons. After living in Central Texas for several years I have no problems or complaints with the weather in WNY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2
The best schools in the state of SC is kind of like saying the least smelly porta-john on the summer construction site

Very true. South Carolina's public school system is always very near or at the bottom of the national rankings. Being named one of the best schools of that train wreck really isn't anything to brag about. My cousin got her first teaching position in the Charleston area, she was shocked by what she saw & couldn't get back to Maryland fast enough. The severe lack of funding really ties their hands with regards to what they can do & well they can do it.

Last edited by jblake78728; 02-10-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Not true at all. A person can want to live in an area and not be able to due to economic reasons. The area does not have jobs. I've come across plenty of people all over who either wanted to move back to Buffalo, did not want to leave Buffalo or were interested in living there after visiting. They could not live there due to the area not having jobs in their field. It's not as simple as picking up and moving because you have a desire to be somewhere.
In NY you don't have to travel 3 hours to go skiing. Both Buffalo and Rochester have multiple mountains within an hour driving distance.
And if you compare city to city, Buffalo has better amenities than most places in SC. When I speak of amenities, I am talking about things on a daily basis, not tourism. Every single school in Buffalo is not awesome but overall, it has many good schools in the metro area. Schools in the bigger metro areas in the state of NY tend to be better overall than many areas of SC.
Even the job aspect depends upon one's skills/education, as some industries are doing fine in that area and Upstate NY as a whole.

Ironically, arguably the "best" HS is the state is City Honors in the Buffalo Public Schools. So, even the "bad" SD's in NY have some very good schools/programs.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,200 times
One simple word...NO! And I have been gone for over 10 years

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,381 times
Yes and no. I've been gone pretty much about 15 years. About 10 in south Florida, and the rest in Colorado.

What I miss the most is the LI I knew growing up. The memories. I miss the house I grew up in and the neighborhood. Unfortunately, it's mostly filled by elitist, liberal, self absorbed arsehats.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How long do you have to pay $300 dollars for your new vehicle? Also, what about crime rates, commutes and home prices? Even certain foods tend to cost more in the South.

You can't do anything about the weather, but it's not like the 4 seasons are necessarily a hindrance either. Also, for skiing, there are plenty of places to ski close by that aren't necessarily in the mountains, which aren't that far from the Albany area anyway. Mountain Profile Pages

As for schools, NYC influences the numbers greatly. So, that is why the ranking is lower. I agree with the parents aspect.
The $300 is the total for the sales tax on a car. You pay it once. Why would you pay sales tax more than once?

Where I live, we have a very low crime rate. Commute times are under 30 minutes. Home prices are half what they were were in the Albany area. The house I built here cost $180K and in the area I lived in would have been close to $400K. I've seen similar houses built and the cheapest one was $389K.

Not everyone is into skiing. We weren't really into it so we didn't care about losing the ability to ski. And there are several places to ski in the Smoky Mountains which is 3 hours away.

We do have 4 seasons here. They're just not exactly the same as NY. No snow....oh darn! Summer is very warm....some would say it's incredibly hot. I like the heat. I hated the cold. This winter we actually did get some snow. We had a lovely ice storm that shut things down for days. Last one of those was in 2004. This week will be in the 60's.

Winter here is much milder than up north. Some people don't care for it, but a lot of people just can't take the snow and the cold. Last winter my husband broke both of his arms the same time. And of course we got tons of snow right afterwards and that made snow removal a very difficult thing. Our driveway was a nasty hill and it loved to ice over. Can't say I miss that either.

Haven't you ever noticed how many older folks leave NY for Florida? Some for the weather. The cold is just awful on arthritis. And others leave due to finances. Florida doesn't have income tax, but you have to watch where you live because the taxes and insurance can be a doozy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York