Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
You just violated your *own* point! You tell someone to "shut up" and then immediately use the 1st Amendment to defend your own point of view....

Aside from what the poster said that you were responding to, you know, the area you live in ( desert southwest ) has just as many minuses and pluses to it as NY has. People all have different points of view, and for various reasons that are personal to just them. Name-calling just because someone has a different point of view than you, gets you nowhere.

Case in point about comparing AZ to NY: I have an older brother who's been "rotting" as he'd put it, the last 25 yrs of his live in Las Vegas. He moved there 25 yrs ago because it was booming, and 12 yrs ago, had enough money saved up to put down for a condo. Well, a dozen years later, his condo of course ( NV and AZ were hit hardest ) is underwater by more than double what it was originally worth, he works double what he was 12 yrs ago, just to keep his same income to pay off that condo, is stunned why people would ever want to move there, when the state ( and region ) is about out of water, and can't say one positive thing about the area ( this includes AZ ) without going into a swearing tirade of insults directed at both NV and AZ itself.

He's been trying like hell to get out of there since the mortgage meltdown, and though Vegas itself has recovered a bit since then, he's still aiming to get out there as fast as possible, but his move is dependent on my sister-in-law passing her physical therapist exam credits that she received in SE Asia, and only WA state and NY state will allow those credits to transfer. No other state will do that.

He's told me that he'd switch places with *anyone* who lives on the east coast, and he said he'd gladly shovel 3 feet of snow than "scorch in hell".

As for myself, I'm heading to Syracuse, NY in 10 days to check the area out. I'm in Portland and really want to live somewhere that experiences 4 seasons, the cost of housing is dirt-cheap compared to here, and a city where it won't take me up to an hour to drive ( I drive for a living ) 10 miles through the middle of the city anytime between 1-6pm. I'd miss the rain we get here ( though now we're in our driest, hottest summer ever on record ) , and the year-round mostly-green landscape, but after 45 yrs on the west coast, I'm tired of it and really need a change myself.

I realize Syracuse gets a ton of snow, and isn't exactly the safest city in the Northeast, but if things there don't pan out, I'll continue looking for the amenities in a place I'm seeking.

My point is, as the previous poster said, there is good and bad to anywhere. It's what you make of where you're living is all.
Yeah, you are right I'll have to admit that. I've argued with this individual a few times she hates everything that I have to say and likewise I do what she has to say. I'll have to just ignore her comments just as I have suggested she ignore mine. I do apologize, however I can't let her get away with trying to shut me up. As she has tried to do on most occasions. I can only take so much without lashing out.

As far as Arizona is concerned, I'm not telling anyone that they should move here or not. However I have yet to hear too many people complaining about life out here. Mostly Liberals who write letters to the paper. I can't understand why they stay if they hate it so much?

It doesn't matter to us what happens as to the value of our home. It is a place to live and not an investment or a bank. We have no intention of moving. Where we live we have four mild seasons. Summer highs are in the 90's during the day at night low 60's. Winters are in the 50's during the day at night 20's. We average about 24" inches of snow per season. And of course low humidity making those temperatures much more comfortable. So you see she really has no idea what she is talking about. We do love it out here and no one can tell us otherwise.

As for Las Vegas we have no desire to live there or even visit there. Big crowded cities are not my cup of tea. I've only been to Phoenix once, that was enough.

New York's winters are usually dismal, dank, and dreary. Everything is gray and overcast for long periods of time. Reminds me of death. With all the salt they put down on the roads it will wreak havoc on your vehicle(s). Everything looks filthy for months on end. When I got home from work I'd hook up a hose to my hot water heater, lay down on a crawler and blast all that crap off from the underside of my truck. I've been to Syracuse during the winter visiting friends who went to school there. I'm sure you've heard of lake effect snow? Along with that it is bitterly cold and windy. Summer's are hot as hell and very humid, the mosquitoes will eat you alive as with most places where there is high humidity. Can't help you out with the crime situation as I've never looked into it there.

A lot of upstate New York is an industrial wasteland particularly western New York. There is also a lot of poverty and a lot of family farms which can barely keep their heads above water because of the high cost of doing business in New York State. Another reason why so many factories have closed up. Including the one that we worked for in Westchester County. They went to Virginia along with 300 jobs. During my lifetime living along the Hudson River, we've witnessed many factories close one by one.

I have a cousin who lived in Portland and now in Washington State and absolutely loves the Pacific Northwest. They too once lived in New York. We were all born and raised there. They tried to encourage us to move there. They told us that the climate although it gets a lot of rain is not as bad as New York's? I've never been there or even considered it because of a life long love and fascination with the Southwest.

It doesn't matter to me where one chooses to live. I can only speak of my own personal experience it's just too bad if some people can't accept that because of their unbridled love affair with New York State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:22 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yeah, you are right I'll have to admit that. I've argued with this individual a few times she hates everything that I have to say and likewise I do what she has to say. I'll have to just ignore her comments just as I have suggested she ignore mine. I do apologize, however I can't let her get away with trying to shut me up. As she has tried to do on most occasions. I can only take so much without lashing out.

As far as Arizona is concerned, I'm not telling anyone that they should move here or not. However I have yet to hear too many people complaining about life out here. Mostly Liberals who write letters to the paper. I can't understand why they stay if they hate it so much?

It doesn't matter to us what happens as to the value of our home. It is a place to live and not an investment or a bank. We have no intention of moving. Where we live we have four mild seasons. Summer highs are in the 90's during the day at night low 60's. Winters are in the 50's during the day at night 20's. We average about 24" inches of snow per season. And of course low humidity making those temperatures much more comfortable. So you see she really has no idea what she is talking about. We do love it out here and no one can tell us otherwise.

As for Las Vegas we have no desire to live there or even visit there. Big crowded cities are not my cup of tea. I've only been to Phoenix once, that was enough.

New York's winters are usually dismal, dank, and dreary. Everything is gray and overcast for long periods of time. Reminds me of death. With all the salt they put down on the roads it will wreak havoc on your vehicle(s). Everything looks filthy for months on end. When I got home from work I'd hook up a hose to my hot water heater, lay down on a crawler and blast all that crap off from the underside of my truck. I've been to Syracuse during the winter visiting friends who went to school there. I'm sure you've heard of lake effect snow? Along with that it is bitterly cold and windy. Summer's are hot as hell and very humid, the mosquitoes will eat you alive as with most places where there is high humidity. Can't help you out with the crime situation as I've never looked into it there.

A lot of upstate New York is an industrial wasteland particularly western New York. There is also a lot of poverty and a lot of family farms which can barely keep their heads above water because of the high cost of doing business in New York State. Another reason why so many factories have closed up. Including the one that we worked for in Westchester County. They went to Virginia along with 300 jobs. During my lifetime living along the Hudson River, we've witnessed many factories close one by one.

I have a cousin who lived in Portland and now in Washington State and absolutely loves the Pacific Northwest. They too once lived in New York. We were all born and raised there. They tried to encourage us to move there. They told us that the climate although it gets a lot of rain is not as bad as New York's? I've never been there or even considered it because of a life long love and fascination with the Southwest.

It doesn't matter to me where one chooses to live. I can only speak of my own personal experience it's just too bad if some people can't accept that because of their unbridled love affair with New York State.
I think most people stay in places because to be close to family, or "trapped" because they can't escape due to financial ones, etc. I think the older people get, the harder it is for them to move out too--they become set in their "comfort zone", and it sometimes makes me think this is what is going on with my brother, but they may never get out of where they're living they hate so much ( I just hope I'm not in the same boat I'm describing. )

I'm actually a hardcore liberal myself ( I'd vote for Sanders if he somehow beats Hillary to the nomination; though I don't think that's going to happen because Hillary has the DNC support and money in her pocket ) but looking to move to what I'm hearing, is mostly conservative country ( Syracuse ) and even other areas I've looked at ( Salt Lake City, Des Moines, IA ) same thing. I think it's good to have a wide range of political opinions in an area where people live--its what made this country great, and as liberal as Portland is, I do myself, get tired of the divisiveness of both the right and the left towards each other ( why I also considered moving to NH too as it seems to be "respect for others beliefs as long as they aren't shoved down your throat" type of thing. )

Anywho, not to turn this into a political post, but...about NY. Well, our winters are about like NY--we don't get the snow, but we sure do get the rain. We average about 29 days a month with measurable rain from Nov-May, and from Nov-Feb, it can be non-stop for days, now that is dreary....I got used to it, but many people don't ( and why our suicide rate is so high. )

I also grew up in WY, so I'm familiar with bad winters. We didn't get a lot of snow ( about 3 ft average for the whole winter ) but because our elevation was 6100', the wind chill was *always* below zero, and often times, would be about -35 to -50F wind chill--day and night, and we had to drive 3 hrs to get any shopping done ( Salt Lake City to the west. ) I lived in that for 24 yrs before moving to Portland.

One thing that I've discovered, and my brother pointed it out to me too in a conversation over the phone with him one day, the coldest cities are where people tend to be more friendlier--it sounds odd, but looking up "friendly states" you will see many of them listed there. Really none of the southern states are listed, and looking up stats, crime rates go up in warmer weather too ( guess people really aren't happy when the weather is always warm LOL )

I've heard that NY uses salt on the roads--at least that is safer driving on than dirt that they use here, but about the vehicle, that will be fine with me, as it would be a company vehicle I'd be driving ( one of the benefits of my job ) for personal use, and about the humid summers, that is actually why I'm going there now. I want it to be high humidity--at least higher than normal, because other than San Antonio, TX I was at once for 5 weeks ( horrible weather, and the city smelled like cow manure day and night!! ) in Aug, and a few rare humid summer days here, I want to see how well I can stand it.

I hate mosquitoes so hopefully they're at a minimum there--and my first 3 nights there, my stay is at a place *right* on a river flowing through there so that will be a good test, or at least not as bad as where I grew up in WY--there they were as big as house flies, and I've already stated my experience dealing with windy winters...

Syracuse also interests me because while it may boom again someday ( maybe the crime there keeps many folks from moving there? dunno ) but I want to go to an area that isn't booming. That was my mistake with Portland. I came here during the dot-com boom we had here in the '90's, and in 20 yrs, over 50% ( literally ) of that time, I was either laid off or working crappy pay temp service work, and Portland is growing like crazy, and ohhh, the problems we're having with it ( rent prices raising 30-40% just in the last year alone, and traffic so snarled that it takes 10x longer to get somewhere than it did 20 yrs ago, and all while, the city refuses to build the highways ( and repair our old ones up to earthquake code ) that we currently have.

Hm, one other area I was looking at in NY was along the Hudson ( Kingston ) as we have an office there ( my moving to NY depends solely on job transfer--and I work as a medical lab courier, and am employed by a company who actually keeps buying out one lab testing company after another, so my job is pretty stable, thank goodness, so I made sure to get out of manufacturing--that was too unstable; especially here too ) but Kingston interested me just because if i needed to get to a major city ( NYC ) it is within a 90 min drive from there it looked like.

I've heard that upstate/central NY is really poor area, and many areas are farms. Like I mentioned, as long as I'm safe from crime, and working in my current job there in NY, I'm okay with that. We have many poor areas in Portland, but its because of people laid off from work for so long, that they become homeless and contribute to our growing transient problem here in the city ( you know this is an issue here, when I had an old school-mate friend visit me 5 yrs ago from L.A. and said to me "wow, the homeless problem here is unbelievable!" ) --and our poor areas while they're not really "ghettos", they're quickly becoming one, because the amount of people moving into lower-class status here, because of the skyrocketing COL now, is pretty sad.

While I wouldn't want to live in AZ ( mostly political, but also because I'm not for the desert ) there are nice areas to it I think, I've seen pics of Sedona and that looks stunning there--the hillsides--the red rock formations are worth looking at. I've been to Red Rock Canyon in Vegas, but that is nothing compared to Sedona's red rock area ( see, I found something positive out of a state I would refuse to live in )

Anyway, the area here is beautiful, your cousin knows what they're talking about, but like many people who flee NY, I'm looking for something else. An area of that has 4-seasons. I've *never* got to see the glorious Fall colors that I've seen pics of in New England and even in upstate NY. It's sad I can't visit there in say about another 6-8 weeks when the colors should be at their prime color; for I'd likely never even leave there LOL

Even if I don't move to NY in the long-run, I can't see myself not going to the region at least once a year; just to check out that Fall foliage. Another town that interested me in the NE area, was Portsmouth, NH, and we *do* have an office there that I could transfer to, but the COL is just too high for me it appears. Gosh, I would *gladly* put up with their winters, just to live in a town so beautiful as that is!

Here, in the fall, the leaves go from green to a light shade of yellow and then fall off. The Wasatch Mtn range outside Salt Lake had some Fall foliage, but it was very short lived, and never the bright shades of colors i see of pics of the Northeast. I think I could see that for a month or two and live through 3-4 months of blizzards just knowing that I get to see those colors again the next Fall...

Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 PM

Ex-New Yorker: I forgot to ask in my last post, so even if you don't have the "unbridled love affair" with NY, what are some things that you liked about it? ( be honest, there has to be at least a few things ) just curious?

Old 08-15-2015, 06:51 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
I think most people stay in places because to be close to family, or "trapped" because they can't escape due to financial ones, etc. I think the older people get, the harder it is for them to move out too--they become set in their "comfort zone", and it sometimes makes me think this is what is going on with my brother, but they may never get out of where they're living they hate so much ( I just hope I'm not in the same boat I'm describing. )

I'm actually a hardcore liberal myself ( I'd vote for Sanders if he somehow beats Hillary to the nomination; though I don't think that's going to happen because Hillary has the DNC support and money in her pocket ) but looking to move to what I'm hearing, is mostly conservative country ( Syracuse ) and even other areas I've looked at ( Salt Lake City, Des Moines, IA ) same thing. I think it's good to have a wide range of political opinions in an area where people live--its what made this country great, and as liberal as Portland is, I do myself, get tired of the divisiveness of both the right and the left towards each other ( why I also considered moving to NH too as it seems to be "respect for others beliefs as long as they aren't shoved down your throat" type of thing. )

Anywho, not to turn this into a political post, but...about NY. Well, our winters are about like NY--we don't get the snow, but we sure do get the rain. We average about 29 days a month with measurable rain from Nov-May, and from Nov-Feb, it can be non-stop for days, now that is dreary....I got used to it, but many people don't ( and why our suicide rate is so high. )

I also grew up in WY, so I'm familiar with bad winters. We didn't get a lot of snow ( about 3 ft average for the whole winter ) but because our elevation was 6100', the wind chill was *always* below zero, and often times, would be about -35 to -50F wind chill--day and night, and we had to drive 3 hrs to get any shopping done ( Salt Lake City to the west. ) I lived in that for 24 yrs before moving to Portland.

One thing that I've discovered, and my brother pointed it out to me too in a conversation over the phone with him one day, the coldest cities are where people tend to be more friendlier--it sounds odd, but looking up "friendly states" you will see many of them listed there. Really none of the southern states are listed, and looking up stats, crime rates go up in warmer weather too ( guess people really aren't happy when the weather is always warm LOL )

I've heard that NY uses salt on the roads--at least that is safer driving on than dirt that they use here, but about the vehicle, that will be fine with me, as it would be a company vehicle I'd be driving ( one of the benefits of my job ) for personal use, and about the humid summers, that is actually why I'm going there now. I want it to be high humidity--at least higher than normal, because other than San Antonio, TX I was at once for 5 weeks ( horrible weather, and the city smelled like cow manure day and night!! ) in Aug, and a few rare humid summer days here, I want to see how well I can stand it.

I hate mosquitoes so hopefully they're at a minimum there--and my first 3 nights there, my stay is at a place *right* on a river flowing through there so that will be a good test, or at least not as bad as where I grew up in WY--there they were as big as house flies, and I've already stated my experience dealing with windy winters...

Syracuse also interests me because while it may boom again someday ( maybe the crime there keeps many folks from moving there? dunno ) but I want to go to an area that isn't booming. That was my mistake with Portland. I came here during the dot-com boom we had here in the '90's, and in 20 yrs, over 50% ( literally ) of that time, I was either laid off or working crappy pay temp service work, and Portland is growing like crazy, and ohhh, the problems we're having with it ( rent prices raising 30-40% just in the last year alone, and traffic so snarled that it takes 10x longer to get somewhere than it did 20 yrs ago, and all while, the city refuses to build the highways ( and repair our old ones up to earthquake code ) that we currently have.

Hm, one other area I was looking at in NY was along the Hudson ( Kingston ) as we have an office there ( my moving to NY depends solely on job transfer--and I work as a medical lab courier, and am employed by a company who actually keeps buying out one lab testing company after another, so my job is pretty stable, thank goodness, so I made sure to get out of manufacturing--that was too unstable; especially here too ) but Kingston interested me just because if i needed to get to a major city ( NYC ) it is within a 90 min drive from there it looked like.

I've heard that upstate/central NY is really poor area, and many areas are farms. Like I mentioned, as long as I'm safe from crime, and working in my current job there in NY, I'm okay with that. We have many poor areas in Portland, but its because of people laid off from work for so long, that they become homeless and contribute to our growing transient problem here in the city ( you know this is an issue here, when I had an old school-mate friend visit me 5 yrs ago from L.A. and said to me "wow, the homeless problem here is unbelievable!" ) --and our poor areas while they're not really "ghettos", they're quickly becoming one, because the amount of people moving into lower-class status here, because of the skyrocketing COL now, is pretty sad.

While I wouldn't want to live in AZ ( mostly political, but also because I'm not for the desert ) there are nice areas to it I think, I've seen pics of Sedona and that looks stunning there--the hillsides--the red rock formations are worth looking at. I've been to Red Rock Canyon in Vegas, but that is nothing compared to Sedona's red rock area ( see, I found something positive out of a state I would refuse to live in )

Anyway, the area here is beautiful, your cousin knows what they're talking about, but like many people who flee NY, I'm looking for something else. An area of that has 4-seasons. I've *never* got to see the glorious Fall colors that I've seen pics of in New England and even in upstate NY. It's sad I can't visit there in say about another 6-8 weeks when the colors should be at their prime color; for I'd likely never even leave there LOL

Even if I don't move to NY in the long-run, I can't see myself not going to the region at least once a year; just to check out that Fall foliage. Another town that interested me in the NE area, was Portsmouth, NH, and we *do* have an office there that I could transfer to, but the COL is just too high for me it appears. Gosh, I would *gladly* put up with their winters, just to live in a town so beautiful as that is!

Here, in the fall, the leaves go from green to a light shade of yellow and then fall off. The Wasatch Mtn range outside Salt Lake had some Fall foliage, but it was very short lived, and never the bright shades of colors i see of pics of the Northeast. I think I could see that for a month or two and live through 3-4 months of blizzards just knowing that I get to see those colors again the next Fall...
I wouldn't call Syracuse "conservative", as the city and certain suburbs aren't.

With crime, it is like most cities where it is higher in certain areas and is based more on lifestyle. As a metro, it actually is one of the safest metros that are in the top 100 in population: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2013...LowtoHigh).pdf

Also, to address another post, manufacturing employment peaked in 1979 in the United States(for the umpteenth time). So, factories have been leaving the country, let alone NYS.

There are also some affluent areas in Upstate NY, that can rival affluent suburbs in bigger metros. So, there is a mix in Upstate NY as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-15-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't call Syracuse "conservative", as the city and certain suburbs aren't.

With crime, it is like most cities where it is higher in certain areas and is based more on lifestyle. As a metro, it actually is one of the safest metros that are in the top 100 in population: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2013...LowtoHigh).pdf

Also, to address another post, manufacturing employment peaked in 1979 in the United States(for the umpteenth time). So, factories have been leaving the country, let alone NYS.
Oh, I stand corrected. I guess I meant it is conservative compared to Portland ( or maybe from what I've heard, it is more in relation to the county that Syracuse is in, in general ) compared to Multnomah County ( where Portland is. ) Another C-D user once told me that the further south you go of the city, the more conservative it gets, so I suppose that made me think that if the suburbs to the north and east/west of it were at least 50/50 conservative/liberal, even with the SU population in the city itself, it likely leaned conservative....

Interesting the safest city list ( and thanks for providing the link too--most folks won't do that ) from the looks of it, the lower the number, the safer the place. It makes me think ( with Kingston, NY being # 8 on the list ) if maybe I've been reading too much into the negative posts people have about cities in NY on here when it comes to the crime, as I've heard ( and even other websites ) where people really slam Kingston saying the crime rate there is really out of control, that maybe with Syracuse (numbered at 103--ha, and I have a friend who lives in Grand Island, NE--number 104 in the list, and she's always telling me how safe it is there ) it could be the same, and I agree that most crime that takes place, is based on one's lifestyle. Theoretically, you can be robbed or assaulted in Logan, UT just as likely as Detroit, if you're around the wrong people--I've been to Logan, it is within about an hours drive of Salt Lake ( which does have a lot of crime itself ) , and it is nothing for someone looking to cause trouble to drive an hour away there, to do it.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that Portland is deemed more unsafe than Syracuse is, and I can only imagine how much worse its going to get, as more and more folks transplant here, and then fight for a place under $1500-2000k/mo.....

Yes, manufacturing has been leaving the country, in droves, for years--this really isn't a state-by-state issue, and though I would have only been 9 yrs old in 1979 so I don't remember much about it, that wouldn't surprise me that it peaked in that year, as the unions really began taking a hit about 2 yrs after that, which would have been mostly manufacturing then anyway....

Old 08-15-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

There are also some affluent areas in Upstate NY, that can rival affluent suburbs in bigger metros. So, there is a mix in Upstate NY as well.
That is another thing I find attractive about upstate NY, the diversity among its many places.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I hate to say this, and I hope you don't take it personally, but I don't think you'll be happy no matter where you move to.

We moved all the way across the country to Arizona not knowing a single soul. Left our family friends and everything that we were familiar with as living conditions in New York were intolerable. It was literally becoming impossible to maintain some semblance of a standard of living if we remained there. Because of the state and local governments insatiable demands for more, more, more. Of course our core Conservative principles didn't help either living in a "Blue" state. It's just so nice to be able to walk into a store and be able to buy things that you would like to have and not just based on need.

How successful or how happy you are in your new location all depends on how much you've researched your adopted new location and how you are towards those who live there. If you move to a new location and hate it the moment you arrive, that hatred will be projected upon others. Even though you may not even realize it.

We were as happy as pigs in poop to have finally been able to live out our dream to be permanently out of New York State and living in Arizona. We still are. Everyday we get up we still can't believe we're here. We always wake up in a good mood. I believe because of this we've had absolutely no problems making new friends. It's almost as if we've lived here and known these people all of our lives. This is where we truly belong.

We still have our friends and family back east (love em' all) and still are in contact with them. For the most part they have told us how lucky we are to have left. A few would never move, but the rest are just biding their time for when they can get out of there also. My sister just bought a place in Florida, when the kids are finished with school that will be their new residence. A few of our other friends are just waiting to retire. We are lucky to be self employed and had the opportunity to live wherever we chose. We're still in Arizona and have no desire to live or go anywhere else. Why would we? This place has everything that we could ever want.
Firstly I'm not offended BUT my complaints are on how people are verses where I am from. You can't tell me for example that if I told you that I was going to do something for you by "x" time and I don't do it that you'd like it. I embraced this area the best I could upon arriving but again the way most people conduct themselves here would be exactly the same if I wasn't here as it also happens to others whether they're natives or transplants.

When I need a few hour immediate people attitude fix I travel to the area where I lived but only lasts as long as I stay. I know that I can do MUCH better than where I live now. I'm friendly and QUITE approachable and even get smiles from women (lol!). So the problem is not me.

Another thing most people down here cannot accept the truth, they rather hear what they want to hear as we NY-ers on the most part are direct, straight and blunt something most here can't digest even though it's said in the kindest and caring reasons which I do state and mention so when I do that I don't need to do when I'm in the NYC market area. However I don't want to become these type BS-ers that exist here.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Ex-New Yorker: I forgot to ask in my last post, so even if you don't have the "unbridled love affair" with NY, what are some things that you liked about it? ( be honest, there has to be at least a few things ) just curious?
I hate to say this, maybe I'm getting soft or it's the beautiful Arizona weather. But for a Liberal you're okay!

I really enjoyed reading your post it was indeed very interesting. You made a lot of valid points. I do appreciate your thoughtful response.

To answer your question:
It was great growing up there along the Hudson River. I had my own powerboat when I was twelve. Summers along the Hudson were a lot of fun. There was a park near the boat club where we would barbecue then hop in the boat and do a little water skiing or just ride around the Hudson checking out different places. It was almost like having a drivers license at twelve. The river towns along the Hudson are indeed very nice, but the closer you get to the city the more expensive it is to live there.

My wife and I both grew up in Irvington which is 20 miles north of the city. Everybody knew everybody and their families. The town was like one big happy family. If something bad happened to someone it affected everyone. Same for when good things happened.

Most of the cops were all from town and when any of us got into trouble (teenage partying, bar fights, sporting events that got out of hand, high school dances) that sort of thing, it was usually a trip to the police station where we received a good sound thrashing and a ride home in a police car to some very angry parents where we received another good sound thrashing. Hell, a lot of the cop's own kids were involved. Nobody was ever arrested or went to jail not even overnight. Did it straighten us out? Hell no. Regrettably some of my old friends are still the same and never grew up.

The fall is indeed spectacular, we have a fall out here but it can't even compare to New England's vibrant colors. Vermont is even better! It's Norman Rockwell's America. We even considered moving there, sorry too Liberal for me. It has lenient gun laws and is a "Constitutional Carry" state, meaning no permits are required to own and carry handguns same as here which is fine by me. Can't believe it's Liberal? Winters are brutal. I was there when it was 13 below you couldn't breathe and I've never smoked.

I hated the winter, but loved it when spring came around and everything started to bloom. Knowing that several months of nice weather lie ahead.

The city was fun at times to visit but once you've seen everything you wanted to see it really made no sense to go there again. At least for me. It was an awesome sight looking at it from 20 miles away all lit up from the darkened banks of the Hudson River. Kind of like Emerald City from the "Wizard of Oz". We'd sit by the river have a few beers listen to some music and take it all in.

The Finger Lakes region was pretty nice, a lot of quaint old towns. You might want to consider Ithaca if possible. There is a college there and as I remember it the town/city was pretty clean and kept up. But that was 40 years ago. It probably hasn't changed.

Putnam County is pretty nice, not as congested as Westchester and the homes are cheaper. You'll get a lot more for your money there. You can then drive to Croton, about 15 minutes depending where you live and hop on the express train to the city if you have to commute there. For about an hour's commute to Grand Central but then you might have to rely on a subway or bus to your final destination. Dutchess County the next county north is even cheaper. Stay away from Poughkeepsie/Newburgh/Beacon, I took tractor trailer lessons throughout that area and it is not very nice. Kingston? I went to a gun show there, yes they do have them in New York. It seemed like a nice place, but never spent a lot of time there. It didn't appear to be run down.

There's Hyde Park, FDR's home and the Vanderbilt Mansion. In fact there were many homes along the Hudson that resembled some of those medieval castles on the Rhine. Imposing structures to be sure. Many are now gone only to be replaced by multi million dollar homes. You can still check out some of them, Lyndhurst home of Jay Gould is one of them it is in Tarrytown. Unbelievable!

If you're into military history there's the West Point Military Academy and the West Point Museum. Even if you're not the campus is beautiful with stunning views of the Hudson. When I was a kid my parents took me there to see General MacArthur give his farewell speech. We got within 20 feet of him as he was driven around the athletic field. Man, that was something! I'll never forget that.

Geez! You're getting me wanting to miss New York already. Just kidding. Just kidding.

Anyway good luck in whatever you choose to do. You are certainly going about it the right way. Just as we did before moving out here. I'm sure you'll be happy whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Firstly I'm not offended BUT my complaints are on how people are verses where I am from. You can't tell me for example that if I told you that I was going to do something for you by "x" time and I don't do it that you'd like it. I embraced this area the best I could upon arriving but again the way most people conduct themselves here would be exactly the same if I wasn't here as it also happens to others whether they're natives or transplants.

When I need a few hour immediate people attitude fix I travel to the area where I lived but only lasts as long as I stay. I know that I can do MUCH better than where I live now. I'm friendly and QUITE approachable and even get smiles from women (lol!). So the problem is not me.

Another thing most people down here cannot accept the truth, they rather hear what they want to hear as we NY-ers on the most part are direct, straight and blunt something most here can't digest even though it's said in the kindest and caring reasons which I do state and mention so when I do that I don't need to do when I'm in the NYC market area. However I don't want to become these type BS-ers that exist here.
I hear ya' it's just that we haven't had the same experience as you've had. I don't know, it's just that for the most part the people out here have been warm and welcoming. Much to our surprise. Even after finding out we were from New York. My wife's New York accent is rather obvious, mine not so much at least that's what I've been told. We both grew up in the same town. Go figure? Sounds like your homesick to some degree or have come into contact with the wrong people? Nothing wrong with that a lot of people are homesick after they leave. Fortunately not for us, it's a helluva long ride back.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-15-2015 at 09:56 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post

Then I should fit right in--I'm a Scorpio ( lol ) , a lot of people here in Portland are turned off when I speak my mind, but I've been doing it for years and seemingly, the older I get, the more blunt I become. It's just who I am Maybe it's because I'm a Philadelphia sports fan, so I get on my favorite teams when they aren't performing well ( lol ) but yes, people here have called me "mean" because of it, but I'm not trying to be mean or insulting, etc., I'm just direct and to-the-point.

I thought in the past, that maybe the feeling here on the west coast think that comes across as "mean", but that isn't true. People in L.A. are not exactly welcoming, and are pretty blunt themselves when they see something they don't agree with, and the people in Seattle ( just a 3 hr drive north of here ) are day/night different personality most often, than people here. I learned that more than once when visiting there....

Last edited by skylar0201; 08-16-2015 at 04:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York