Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:44 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Answer the question....where in Arizona have you been to make these ridiculous generalizations ?
I haven't been there. I'm basing it on looking at the weather, average rainfall and your pics you posted. Are your pics not a good representation since they came from you? They look very brown and dry. I see multiple over 90 degree days on the weather for next week. Is that not accurate? It's in the high 70's low 80's here. There's a huge difference between 75-80 and over 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I haven't been there. I'm basing it on looking at the weather, average rainfall and your pics you posted. Are your pics not a good representation since they came from you? They look very brown and dry. I see multiple over 90 degree days on the weather for next week. Is that not accurate? It's in the high 70's low 80's here. There's a huge difference between 75-80 and over 90 degrees.
I have far better pics through my many travels out west but don't feel they warrant access to you. Since you admit to never being here , your google searches without firsthand experience renders your generalizations useless. Your opinion means nothing per pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you miss NY now the you have left?-20150221_111639.jpg  

Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I have far better pics through my many travels out west but don't feel they warrant access to you. Since you admit to never being here , your google searches without firsthand experience renders your generalizations useless. Your opinion means nothing per pic below.
ahh ok. The pics from your own camera showing dirt and weeds where you live mean nothing I guess. Apparently if somebody finds your pics of dirt exciting and you can convince them that is "greenery", then their firsthand experience won't matter, they'll just LOVE it there. But if somebody calls them out for what they really are, pics of weeds and dirt, then they'll need firsthand experience to know that it really isn't, and the weather showing over 90 degrees, "really isn't over 90 degrees", and the low rain fall "isn't really low". Gotcha

Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Answer the question....where in Arizona have you been to make these ridiculous generalizations ?
All this person wants to do is to continue to argue, we can't let it ruin our day. They're already miserable. They think that they are making us just as miserable as they are. Or somehow because of all their education (yeah, right) that they are somehow far superior to us. However, it isn't working. Obviously he/she has never been here. Hopefully for our sake they never will. Who needs 'em? We put up with enough of them while living in New York. I'm sure you're aware of this but New York has lost more people because of out-migration during the last decade than any other state in the nation. They already lost two congressional seats that I know of, and I believe a few electoral votes? Gotta' be a reason why so many are leaving?

As you know as well as I there are many places throughout this great big wonderful country where people can find their own little paradise. Thank God for us that we have found ours! Nothing will ever change that.

They already admit they've never been here. I suppose that's how they base all of their judgements. There's a word for that it's called "prejudice". You just gotta let them keep posting so they can let the world know who they really are and how they think.

At least we have experienced life in both places, know what we are talking about, and can make an accurate comparison between the two. Which is a lot more than from someone who's never been here.

As for me and I'm sure as for you we are proud of our adopted state and even more proud to have become Arizonans. This is where we truly belong!

Gotta' get away from this computer and enjoy all this great Arizona weather!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-22-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
All this person wants to do is to continue to argue, we can't let it ruin our day. They're already miserable. They think that they are making us just as miserable as they are. Or somehow because of all their education (yeah, right) that they are somehow far superior to us. However, it isn't working. Obviously he/she has never been here. Hopefully for our sake they never will. Who needs em'? We put up with enough of them while living in New York. I'm sure you're aware of this but New York has lost more people through out migration during the last decade than any other state in the nation. They already lost two congressional seats, that I know of, and I believe a few electoral votes? Gotta' be a reason why so many are leaving?

As you know as well as I there are many places throughout this great big wonderful country where people can find their own little paradise. Thank God for us that we have found ours! Nothing will ever change that.

They will probably tell you that they have been out here to justify their opinions. If so, I wouldn't believe any of it. That's just the way these people are.
"The way these people are"? Wow, so now we resort to personal insults if somebody disagrees with you? That represents your character more than mine.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Oh and the little claim that I would "tell you I've been out there to justify my opinion" was quickly proven false. You must have started your post resorting to personal insults before you saw my latest post. Again, I've shown my character contrary to your attempt to label me and you've shown yours.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
"The way these people are"? Wow, so now we resort to personal insults if somebody disagrees with you? That represents your character more than mine.
Way more people moving to Arizona than upstate NY. Many in that rust belt region can't afford to move and experience the whole country and are bitter. They are bitter NYC controls state politics and have been begging to secede for years now. You like Rochester, fine. Obviously many feel differently when you compare the populations of the Sun Belt vs Rust Belt over the years. I remember when NY was second to CA in electoral votes. The only reason more states haven't leapfrogged NY in that area is the migration to NYC .

Old 08-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
ahh ok. The pics from your own camera showing dirt and weeds where you live mean nothing I guess. Apparently if somebody finds your pics of dirt exciting and you can convince them that is "greenery", then their firsthand experience won't matter, they'll just LOVE it there. But if somebody calls them out for what they really are, pics of weeds and dirt, then they'll need firsthand experience to know that it really isn't, and the weather showing over 90 degrees, "really isn't over 90 degrees", and the low rain fall "isn't really low". Gotcha
80 with 80 percent humidity has a higher heat index than 90 with 20 percent humidity. Google that chart . You will have plenty of time this winter when you are snowed in with -20 windchills.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Way more people moving to Arizona than upstate NY. Many in that rust belt region can't afford to move and experience the whole country and are bitter. They are bitter NYC controls state politics and have been begging to secede for years now. You like Rochester, fine. Obviously many feel differently when you compare the populations of the Sun Belt vs Rust Belt over the years. I remember when NY was second to CA in electoral votes. The only reason more states haven't leapfrogged NY in that area is the migration to NYC .
Many feel differently. And many don't feel differently. There are a lot of white collar workers that stayed in Rochester after the decline of Kodak and Xerox and started new startups here. They obviously loved the region when they stuck around. They could have easily packed up and moved. But they didn't. There's no basis in fact on the statement that most who stay in NY are forced too because of economics. Yes, there are many moving away and moving to the SouthWest. I don't deny that. But it isn't this massive exodus that many claim. And it's quite the contrary. We've had this argument many times before on census numbers. But in the Rochester metro for instance, it has never declined on any census. If it was a place that people didn't enjoy living, you'd be seeing these mass exodus numbers. But they aren't occurring contrary to claims that they are.

Again, I don't doubt you love Arizona. I know for a fact that I wouldn't and there are many that agree with me. I just don't like reading blanket statements about what upstaters believe in general. And I also don't like reading statements about how those who live here are forced to because of economic reasons. I have both a BS and a MS and I have them in Engineering and Business. I could literally pack up and move anywhere in the country I wanted with my experience and education. But I chose to come back to Rochester and I absolutely love it. I just want people reading this to recognize that many who live here are just like me.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
80 with 80 percent humidity has a higher heat index than 90 with 20 percent humidity. Google that chart . You will have plenty of time this winter when you are snowed in with -20 windchills.
It's not 80 percent humidity. It's 50% humidity in WNY right now and for the entire next week of weather. It's rarely 80% humidity unless we are in the midst of a rain storm. And I'm sorry, but humidity is a signature of moisture in the air. That's one of the reasons why greenery does so well in WNY, because of the moisture. You can't have it both ways. You can't claim that 90 degrees is cool because of low humidity, and that you have greenery with your low humidity. Its a complete contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York