Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

I don't know why this is bothering me but last night a co-worker who I have recently become friends with said that I was "like a yuppie but without the financial success"

He cited examples of places I hang out at in the Downtown Orlando area. A lot of which are nice upscale (but not insanely expensive) places, usually restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. To which he said that was where "all the yuppies hang out" I dont consider myself one, I make $9.15 an hour at a grocery store but I am smart enough with my money that when I frequent said establishments I have a good time and enjoy myself without spending an insane amount of cash

He was saying that I needed to hang out with "people on our level"

Is it a bad thing to be considered a "Yuppie" even though I dont see myself as one. I mean I'm not a snob or a douchebag or anything like that, I'm very easy to get along with and I consider myself a sociable and outgoing guy and I'm not financially well off (most 22 year olds aren't)

Also is it a bad thing that I frequent these "yuppie" bars, restaurants, and nightclubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I don't know why this is bothering me but last night a co-worker who I have recently become friends with said that I was "like a yuppie but without the financial success"

He cited examples of places I hang out at in the Downtown Orlando area. A lot of which are nice upscale (but not insanely expensive) places, usually restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. To which he said that was where "all the yuppies hang out" I dont consider myself one, I make $9.15 an hour at a grocery store but I am smart enough with my money that when I frequent said establishments I have a good time and enjoy myself without spending an insane amount of cash

Is it a bad thing to be considered a "Yuppie" even though I dont see myself as one. I mean I'm not a snob or a douchebag or anything like that, I'm very easy to get along with and I consider myself a sociable and outgoing guy and I'm not financially well off (most 22 year olds aren't)

Also is it a bad thing that I frequent these "yuppie" bars, restaurants, and nightclubs?
See, this kind of weird attitude has a term: Reverse Snobbery. That means that someone else is wanting to bash your tastes and attitudes, all while garbing himself or herself in preening self-righteousness.

What's more, your co-worker's crack was way over the line. It was an insult and should be taken that way. Ignore the guy.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, this kind of weird attitude has a term: Reverse Snobbery. That means that someone else is wanting to bash your tastes and attitudes, all while garbing himself or herself in preening self-righteousness.

What's more, your co-worker's crack was way over the line. It was an insult and should be taken that way. Ignore the guy.
I guess I have been taking it as an insult. This guy who made this comment doesn't exactly hang out with a...I guess you could say "Well-To-Do" crowd, a lot of people he knows an associates himself with are a little unsavory to say the least. I only hang out and talk with him at work, and we consider each other to be friends

Both he and I grew up from pretty poor backgrounds, I spent about half of my childhood living in extended stay hotels and moved out on my own at the age of 17. Even with growing up in that background, I always found myself preferring mid-scale to up-scale places and tastes. And the way I see it, going downtown and hanging out at the "yuppie" places is where I'm most comfortable. The places are usually pretty nice, clean, good food, good drinks, some good people, etc

I can go to a dive type bar as well and have a few beers and play some pool every now and again. But I guess seeing my mom constantly having to look for my father in places like those, I feel kind of turned off towards them and prefer more higher end places

Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
I guess I have been taking it as an insult. This guy who made this comment doesn't exactly hang out with a...I guess you could say "Well-To-Do" crowd, a lot of people he knows an associates himself with are a little unsavory to say the least. I only hang out and talk with him at work, and we consider each other to be friends

Both he and I grew up from pretty poor backgrounds, I spent about half of my childhood living in extended stay hotels and moved out on my own at the age of 17. Even with growing up in that background, I always found myself preferring mid-scale to up-scale places and tastes. And the way I see it, going downtown and hanging out at the "yuppie" places is where I'm most comfortable. The places are usually pretty nice, clean, good food, good drinks, some good people, etc

I can go to a dive type bar as well and have a few beers and play some pool every now and again. But I guess seeing my mom constantly having to look for my father in places like those, I feel kind of turned off towards them and prefer more higher end places
There you go. Not that you really have to justify your preferences in life. Not to me, and particularly not to the jerk with whom you work.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM

24,535 posts, read 10,859,092 times
How does your co-worker know where you hang out? Did you share a bit too much information? Live your life. Let him life his.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
If you aren't condescending or brash, then no it isn't!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Quote:

You are far from a Yuppie. Nothing wrong with going to nice places.Nothing wrong with being a Yuppie for that matter.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Sounds like your friend bought too many things on credit and now he can't afford to do anything.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
Quote:

Ignore him, he's jealous and trying to bring you down.

You're doing fine but dude - $9.15 an hour seriously? That's illegal here.

Can't you find something a bit better paying?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Ignore him, he's jealous and trying to bring you down.

You're doing fine but dude - $9.15 an hour seriously? That's illegal here.

Can't you find something a bit better paying?
Actually 9.15/hr , at least in my city can pay for quite a lot. I'm assuming he's low-mid 20s due to his question, meaning that 9.15/hr is a pretty decent wage. A single person who is smart with their money can easily get by at this rate. In my city, majority of grocery stores pay their employees 7.50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships